Steven Wilson “To The Bone” Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Is this a serious post? I hear no issue at all with Steven’s vocals except a couple of years ago at the Beacon Theatre when he was sick and couldn’t sing. I recently read an interview where he said he was singing better than he ever did.

SJP and rushed again like this.
  2. manco

manco Forum Resident

He's clearly declined.

3. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I appreciate music much more while sitting instead of jockeying for a comfortable standing position. More focus.
    Standing will be a drag but he's worth toughing it out for. It may be years before he's back in the area.

4. rushed again

No issues here either.

Fletch likes this.
  5. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I don't hear any decline in his live vocals at all.

Rufus rag and Alternative4 like this.
  6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

From what I thought I read on here in the past, SW/PT has played The Keswick more than any other locations in the US so assume he played there on most(if not all) Tours of the US, so it is likely he will be back when his next Album gets released, assuming he will Tour on it even if on a delay like 'To The Bone'(all the better to let an Album sink in our Brains for several months-IMO).

I have had 4 Low Back Surgeries in the past 5 years(3 trying to relieve severe pain in Right Quad from Damaged L-4 & L-5 Nerves by the Doctor who did the initial Herniated Disc Surgery). Despite having a Seat in the Lower Section for the Radiohead Concert, everyone was Standing, so I had to tough it out and Stand for that entire Concert.

My bigger concern is I do not like crowded spaces, that a Standing Only GA might make it feel like Sardines Packed in a Tin Box. It is a great show and thinking about it, but with Shows in Philly & Baltimore on Weeknights, and Rush Hour Traffic being a pain to go into Cities, I would have to consider arriving early and how much Parking would cost for extended hours(around 3:00 until late night), as getting to the Keswick early there was Free Parking in the Back Lot, so made a nice late afternoon of it.

Depends on other potential concerts coming to Philly in the Fall, if I might decide to go see SW again on this Tour, as Ticket Prices are lower for this Tour, then again Parking will most likely make it the cost or Higher than The Keswick Show.

I am trying to figure out how SW is going to make money playing these smaller venues. Also, will this eliminate the Awesome Front & Rear Screens he used for Visual Content during some of the Songs? Also, Steven Wilson's Concert was too loud for The Keswick Theater, where I could not hear the Melodies on some of his Songs(like Porcupine Tree's 'Sleep Together' that I was Stoked that Steven Wilson and his Current Band played that nite).

I am wondering, if playing Smaller Venues means the Volume will be lower, although from what I understand from another SHF Member, The Fillmore is a larger Space than The Keswick, but a lot of Venues on this Tour in the US seem to be small from a few comments mentioned on this thread by other Members, so guess this will be a case of YMMV for Venue Size & Acoustics.

I will say this, if any Fan missed the 1st Leg of the To The Bone Tour, make sure you catch one of these Shows, if you live near one of the Tour Stops and Free on that Night. Especially, if you loved the 'To the Bone' Album(which I do). If I go, I hope he plays different older PT Songs though, as I prefer the 1990s Pink Floyd Atmospheric Songs over the Hard Rock Songs on 'In Absentia' & 'Deadwing'(although I loved 'Fear of a Blank Planet' so go figure?). If he was to play 'Synesthesia', 'Waiting-Phase 1 or 2', 'Radioactive Toy', 'The Sky Moves Sideways', 'Dark Matter', 'Every Home is Wired', 'Up the Downstair,' etc., I would really be stoked to go again despite standing and hope not too crowded for personal space. Actually, hope SW does a PT 1990s Songs Tour in the Future even if with his Current Band. Wish we had a Blu-Ray of a Concert from those Delerium Years.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Not gonna happen, nor should it. SW's voice is one of the constants of his ever-changing sound.

Rufus rag likes this.
  8. rushed again

Sorry to read some of your above post on back pain @TheSeldomSeenKid. I've had some problems but nothing like yours and it was miserable.
    I'm thinking SW is doing these smaller venues more for himself than us. Don't see how he's making money either.

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks, my current Neurosurgeon(who I did not know about prior to my Herniated Disc Surgery) is the best in my area, as he most likely would have performed that Surgery without damaging the L-4 & L-5 Nerves, as he is skillful and cautious. Just no surgery to fix damaged nerves yet, but he tried decompressing the nerve roots, but has not helped to reduce the pain in my Right Quad. He is going to consult with the Top Neurosurgeon at Jefferson Medical Center in Philly, as he worked with him, about my case just to get a 'second set of eyes' on my test results and past surgeries he did. PA finally passed Medicinal Marijuana, so hoping that will help, as if PA would have not passed that Law, I would have moved back to California.

Anyways, if Steven Wilson is losing money on this Standing Room Only Venues Tour, at least we know he will be doing the Seated Venues for future tours, unless he goes more in the direction of what Tame Impala did for Psychedelic Rock Dance Music, where Sitting would not make sense, but then again, he can still played Seated Venues and the crowd will be up Standing and Moving a little if the Music is appropriate. Since, SW, loves Prince, I would love for him to do a FUNK Album. I do not need anymore Prog-Rock, and to me, 'Hand Cannot Erase' was perfect, so it was time to move on to other genres of music, but several songs on To the Bone still had that SW Sound to me(I never got the Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Talk Talk, references he was referring to for To the Bone).

10. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I believe all of the U.S. venues on this tour are GA. Some have seated sections or balconies, though I believe most, if not all, of those with seats are unassigned.

11. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

In Boston, he's playing the House of Blues this time after playing Berklee last time. HOB has about twice the capacity of Berklee, but it's mostly standing room.
    I don't do too well with standing for long periods, and they held back the seats exclusively for Citibank card holders, so Stevie's doing his show without me being there.

Rufus rag likes this.
  12. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

No seating = No attending

Alan57 likes this.
  13. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Big SW fan but COME ON. Thom Yorke is one of the best vocalists of the last 25 years (just listen to Exit Music or Nude or about 20 others). SW is a fantastic songwriter, instrumentalist, producer, and engineer, and his vocals work for the songs... But he doesn't elevate his songs with the vocals the way Thom does in Radiohead. Pretty sure SW would agree on this too.

14. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Sorry, but those two songs you mentioned do nothing to me, or anything else by Atoms For Peace, Thom solo and Radiohead.
    Raven elevates me. 3 Years Older elevates me. Song Of Unborn. Deform To Form A Star. Postcard. Nothing by Thom impresses me like those.

Rufus rag likes this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

Yorke, to me, is a bit hit or miss live (I rarely heard a live version of 15 Step where he sounds good), but he always kills it in the studio. And I love the way he sometimes uses his voice like another instrument.

Rufus rag likes this.
  16. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Yorke’s vocal work on How To Disappear Completely alone puts him into a different stratosphere altogether for me. Totally unique, singular.

sleepjar and George Co-Stanza like this.
  17. George Co-Stanza

That is, hands down, my favorite Radiohead song.

When Yorke does that recurring musical theme with his voice (around 4:30-ish), that is pure heaven and possibly the greatest Radiohead moment ever. The whole song, we get that theme following the vocal lines and/or as a musical backdrop...and then all of a sudden we get Thom singing along with it. That is greatness.

Mirror Image likes this.
  18. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Yep and just the whole haunting atmosphere of the piece really does make it quite special.

19. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

To the Bore

20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I find Thom Yorke's voice quite mundane and one dimensional . It actually depresses me. Sorry but I don't rate him as singer at all

mtvgeneration and opiumden like this.
  21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I caught him on the Raven tour... then skipped "To the Bone" round one... on the fence about round two...

22. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I missed the first leg of this tour which I regret immensely , that being based on what people have told me who did see it.
    He's just announced the second leg of the European tour but no UK dates as of yet. However if he does play some UK dates and they're standing only I will happily just wait for the DVD

23. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Saw two shows in the spring and now I’ll be seeing two in the fall!

24. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I would guess 1200-1500 tops

rushed again likes this.
  25. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

The last time I saw him, Ninet Tayeb performed all the vocals (she was great btw) so I couldn't tell ya. That said, Im got my tickets for the NJ show. Cant wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.