Steve's Analogue Productions Blue Note SACD/CD Sound Quality Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jpm-boston, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

He's really fantastic but the whole team is top drawer.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm listening to Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue CD (CDP 7 46399) mastered by Ron McMaster. I find the SQ to be very good and I'm wondering if the AP SACD is that much of an improvement over this CD. I was on a SACD buying spree but now I'm thinking of seeking out the best versions of specific CDs to maximize my budget. My thoughts are I can buy almost twice as many titles by going the CD route if the SQ gains are minimal.

Bill

George P likes this.
  3. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I do not have the McMaster "Midnight Blue" but I have the AP SACD, and it is WONDERFUL. I am sure it is an improvement in sound, because every AP SACD I own has been either a step up or GIANT LEAP in realism over the RVG CD's. I do think McMaster's sound better, more natural.

An example is the Cannonball/Bill Evans recording "Know what I mean?", I have the OJC CD, the 24 bit OJC and the new AP SACD (though a Doug Sax remaster) and feel that there is a small step up from the OJC, to 24 bit OJC finally the "best" being the AP SACD. I think the AP SACD's will BLOW away the RVG's. With the AP SACD's I finally can really enjoy and marvel at the classic Blue Note recordings, without the annoyance of poor remastering.

4. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

If I'm not mistaken, it's been many many months since one of these SACDs has been released. Anyone know when we can expect the next batch?

5. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I think all 50 that were planned are now out. Not sure (and personally doubtful at this stage) if there will be another Blue Note set, in the meantime still quite a few AudioWave XRCD's to look forward to.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Analogue Productions has released all 50 Blue Note titles and all 25 Impulse! titles that were planned. They are now in the midst of releasing a series of 25 Verve titles (mastered by George Marino).

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

No doubt the Analogue Productions SACDs beat the RVG CDs, at least the dozen or so RVG CDs I've heard. A striking example is with Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else. The Analogue Productions SACD is much, much better.

Speaking of 24-bit OJC remasters, I listened to the remaster of Waltz for Debby last night. It's good, but I should compare it to the Analogue Productions SACD (older title, likely mastered by Doug Sax). I also have the excellent SHM-SACD to throw into the mix.

8. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Ah, I was thinking of those Verve titles. How many have we seen so far, and when can we expect more?

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Keith,

Please try to get more selection and a variety of mastering before commenting on a title. Thanks.

:winkgrin:

:cheers:

10. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I personally cannot wait to hear Johnny Hodges (and more Ben Webster) in SACD!

Specifically, the Johnny Hodges with the Billy Strayhorn Orchestra (Ellington band with Jimmy Jones subbing for Duke). This was recorded by Rudy Van Gelder, and it sounds great on the Verve CD release, but I am sure will be demonstration quality when Analogue Productions is through with it.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

Got some fair prices on Peckin' Time, K.B. @ the 5 Spot (that is one from this series?), and Flight To Jordan. The last two titles I have not previously heard. I enjoyed the music from them I was able to sample. Peckin' Time is a favorite but the RVG edition is one of my least favorite of the ones I've heard and the sacd was too good a deal, comparably for me, in price and running time to pass on. So, I'll give them all a try, :) and expect the best, :).

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Not much discussion about some of the later releases that are mentioned as early as a few pages back.

It was interesting for me to hear the Peckin' Time sacd and how the original session was on tape with the imaging. I heard sax and trumpet both left and drums and bass right. The piano sounding somewhat recessed, to me, in the center. Sometime through the third track, my left ear had enough. The reedy and brassy sound, perhaps or not, in concert with the volume and attack, exclusively focused and isolated to that one side - my left - became too much, for me. It was neat to hear the bass and drums 'together' on the right, but fwiw, I think I can hear why, or have an understanding of, why it was narrowed for the RVG. So, I had to give the lastly mentioned another listen, and though of course the mastering approach isn't as true and right as the sacd, I ended up preferring, fwtw, the narrowed field of sound. Unfortunately, due to the mastering of the RVG, the instruments in that narrowed field also seem to sound smaller. I am grateful to have heard the sacd as it was mastered from the original tapes.

Flight To Jordan was a title I did not have. I was a little disappointed in the sound and/or level of the recording, as I perceived it, or the balance of it. It seemed to me the horn (left) and sax (right) were noticably louder, and/or tonally more pronounced than the more central piano, bass, and drums, but worse for my ears I found the brassy tone of the trumpet especially blaring at times. The quieter songs sounded more appealing. There's always this...

THE KENNY BURRELL AT THE 5 SPOT IS LIKE THE GREATEST CD EVER! :). SO GLAD! MANY CHEERS TO ALL INVOLVED.

13. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I did not think Peckin' Time imaging on the SACD was that bad. I am also sensitive to the image. You could play with the imaging by speaker positioning or changing your listening position-(unless you are on headphones?)

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Will Steve entertain mastering more BN jazz for AP should the opportunity arise? Why did they stop at 50 titles? There must be, what, over 300?

15. dee

dee Senior Member

Yeah, I was listening on headphones mostly, two different ones. Also speakers too, but thanks for the suggestion about the speakers, I did not think of doing that. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your take on how you perceived mine and expressed your own, If someone like myself had not heard the title before, in its original stereo state, I hope my subjective impressions of how what where it sounds, to me, has no bearing on anything re: it. It's good music mastered with care.

16. dee

dee Senior Member

I hear you, I imagine it's a tough choice in those terms for some of us, and in the respect you mention too. I'm belatedly going through all the titles I have already and making decisions based on assumptions and information in this thread too based on what you describe. I'm more prone to sample the music on itunes of the titles I don't have as they are more generous with their listening time for samples and if I like what I hear, and that's mostly a given, more likely to buy those titles on sacd, as I have no previous investment in those same titles. The Lou Donaldson Blues Walk cd that I have sounds sweet and round and full and alive to me as it is. I'd like to both hear and have the sacd too, but I imagine it will be one I don't have (Here 'Tis, Time Is Right, or Sunny Side Up) that I will get first on sacd.

17. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Don't forget - The DCC Gold "Know What I Mean" is outstanding.

McMaster did a really fine job on Midnight Blue IMO. The AP SACD doesn't add much.

I prefer the original Mono vinyl by a wide margin for Midnight Blue.

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Peckin' Time was one of those titles recorded when Rudy was recording both stereo and mono. The early stereo releases can be polarizing.

I can't really listen to these early stereo titles on headphones any more. Much better on speakers, but for titles like Blue Train I still slightly prefer the mono mix on speakers.

19. triple

triple Senior Member

Another owner of a very good analog front end and several Sony digital players?

20. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks for adding more insight. I am looking forward to the next three titles I have belatedly just ordered. I had ten to choose from for my price point - not easy to have to decide which ones first! Look forward to hearing these and posting again in the next week or so.

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Anyone that has the "No Room For Squares" SACD hearing the 3 quiet "tics" between 2:59 - 3:09 on "Old World, New Imports" ?

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I am hearing them as well (now that you mentioned them). No wwe need somebody with an older edition to check if they are part of the mix.

23. dee

dee Senior Member

Anybody receive a package where any of their discs had a siginificant crack across the front of one of the cases (for me, Workout) and if so is that something you've been able to return/exchange? It doesn't seem like the cases are replaceable. Any info appreciated.

Enjoyed the Up At Milton's AP. Grant Green sounds fiery. Sounds pretty nice to me overall. He also sounds sweet on the Blue and Sentimental AP. Ike Quebec's playing is so expressive. Just seems like the sounds and tones of some saxes/players and/or recordings/levels (ditto trumpets) of them (especially at some point when taking solos) are sometimes bothering my ears just a wee tad more than they ever have before and it's costing me a bit of enjoyment as a result. Unfortunately for me, this is happening to me too often too with my favorite sideman and leader, Grant Green, as a featured accompanist. Little bit frustrating.

24. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I have had to replace a few of them.

http://www.sleevetown.com/super-jewel-boxes.shtml

25. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks. Thanks for the link. I tried to switch out the front plastic cover of one of the undamaged covers for that damaged one, but could not get the undamaged front plastic door off the side hinges. I was concerned I would break the plastic hinges if I applied more pressure and then I'd have one case with a long scratch across it and one case with broken-off hinges! Looks like those new cases are the best option. I guess I can listen to Workout now, otherwise it's pay the return shipping and hope for a replacement, and wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.