Steve's "Changin' Times" CD on Razor & Tie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chip-hp, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

In a previous thread, Steve mentioned a double CD containing '60s protest/folk songs called "Changin' Times" that he mastered for Razor & Tie. Angel confirmed the existence of the CD, even though Holy Zoo hasn't added it to Steve's Razor & Tie discography. Can anyone provide a track list or a site with a track list. Is this CD still available?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'll pull my copy out for you. Give me a few minutes...

3. Steve Hoffman

"Changin' Times" Razor & Tie A2-25055

Song list:

Mr Tambourine Man/Byrds (stereo!)
    Daydream/Lovin' Spoonful S
    Everybody's Talkin'/Nilsson S
    The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down/Joan Baez S
    If I Had A Hammer/Trini Lopez S
    Red Rubber Ball/The Cyrkle S
    The City Of New Orleans/Arlo Guthrie' S
    Get Together/The Youngbloods S
    Tom Dooley/The Kingston Trio M
    Catch The Wind/Donovan M
    Turn Turn Turn/Pete Seger S
    San Francisco (Flowers In Your Hair)/Scott McKenzie S
    Wichita Lineman/Glen Campbell S
    There But For Fortune/Chad & Jeremy S
    If I Were A Carpenter/Johnny Cash & June Carter S
    Michael (Row The Boat Ashore)/The Highwayman M
    You Were On My Mind/We Five (stereo!)
    I Got A Name/Jim Croce S
    Abraham, Martin And John/Dion S
    This Land Is Your Land/Woody Guthrie M
    California Dreamin'/Mamas And The Papas S
    Ode To Billie Joe/Bobbie Gentry S
    Banana Boat Song (Day-0)/Belefonte M
    Country Road/James Taylor S
    Never My Love/The Association S
    Both Sides Now/Judy Collins S
    Sunny Afternoon/The Kinks M
    Mr. Bojangles/The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band S
    Just A Little/The Beau Brummels S
    Four Strong Winds/Ian & Sylvia S
    Here Comes The Sun/Richie Havens M
    Bus Stop/The Hollies S
    It Ain't Me Babe/The Turtles S
    A World Without Love/Peter And Gordon S
    Sunday Will Never Be The Same/Spanky And Our Gang S
    Greenfields/The Brothers Four S
    Walk Right In/The Rooftop Singers S
    Cat's In The Cradle/Harry Chapin S
    Today/The New Christy Minstrels S
    Goodnight Irene/The Weavers And Gordon Jenkins and his Orchestra M

Compiled by Mike Ragogna, Mastered by Steve Hoffman

Phew.

Something for everybody....

4. chip-hp

Thanks Steve ... When was this CD offered for sale?

5. Steve Hoffman

Some time in the middle to late 90's. No compilation P date on the inlay card. Sorry.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

What a wonderful selection of songs. Just showing my age, but I know them all, except for the Richie Havens version of "Here Comes the Sun". I'm going to have to look for this one. Thanks.

Regards,
    Metralla

7. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Metralla,
    Havens's cover of "Here Comes The Sun" is as good as anything else on this list. You'll love it.

I'm going to be hunting this one too. "You Were On My Mind" was a great 45.

8. martinimaster

martinimaster New Member

Sound like a great album,Is it OOP

9. Steve Hoffman

I'm sure it is by now...

10. Angel

Angel New Member

I bought this in 1998 when Steve mentioned that it contained awesome stereo versions of "If I Had A Hammer", "You Were On My Mind" and many others. I also remember Steve talking about how much time he spent on this project.

Hope you all can find a copy of this great two disc set! Wish I had a bunch to give out.:(

11. Steve Hoffman

Ah well. Where were all youse guys 5 years ago when all this stuff was out there for the taking? :rolleyes:

12. chip-hp

I have been out there in the trenches since the late '80s looking for CDs like "Changin' Times". I have bought 30 or more CDs which you mastered ... not because you mastered them (I didn't know who you were then) ... but because of the music on the CDs. Many of them were purchased based on reviews in Both Sides Now which I hated to see cease publication. To my knowledge, "Changin' Times" was never reviewed in BSN ... if it was, I missed it. I never saw it in a Best Buy Superstore which used to carry a large selection of CDs including your "Stroll On: The Chuck Willis Collection" on Razor & Tie which is great. I suspect "Changin' Times" was marketed on late night TV which I don't watch. Oh well ... there are probably a bunch of them sitting in a jobber warehouse somewhere and will eventually show up. Thanks again for taking the time to list the tracks.

Chip

13. Steve Hoffman

Chip,

I assume you called Razor & Tie and begged?

Maybe I can get Mike Ragogna to part with his copy for you.

14. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Steve,

How is the STEREO sound on We Five's - You Were On My Mind? That is a song that usually shows up in MONO, and if stereo, it is poorly separated (narrow).

As Chip said, Changin' Times was NOT easily found! I'm sure it would have been in my collection otherwise. ;)

Bring on SACDs with this material...and don't stop 'til we say "UNCLE"!!!!

15. Evan

Evan Senior Member

For the record, I was in the Army serving my country in Germany, and had little or no direct access to your work (aside from Amazon.com or e-bay). The Post Exchange system (it should really be called the Post extortion system. They charge enough) does not carry audiophile quality pressings. I have tried to order stuff before and no luck. (Hell, the Post Exchange where I am at now does not even carry DVDs of black and white movies. They say that they are “outdated”) As a consequence, I am now resorting to paying through the nose for Steve’s work to anyone that will agree to mail it to an Army Post Office (APO) address. It is not as bad as it was 6 years ago, but many businesses refuse to mail items to someone in the military stationed overseas. :mad:

I am just glad to get my hands on anything Steve did. It is ALWAYS great. The man is a true artist :D

16. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Yea maybe he'll cut off his right arm and give it to you too! :)

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Oh Boy! How did I miss this one? I have many, many CDs of Steve's work. Now a MUST have. Here we go again.:) Will I find it? I have to. I need to. LOL!

18. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

See what I mean Steve? I think the distribution "chain" on this release had a couple of missing links!

Did you forget to ship any to Florida? Sounds like Michael and I were left out of the loop!

On the other hand, there are about a thousand copies of your American Gladiators CD floating around these parts that I still see on a regular basis. ;)

19. Steve Hoffman

Well, Razor & Tie indeed must have sold "Changin' Times" as a TV package. Probably never even hit retail....

20. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Hmmm, maybe this is a perfect opportunity for one of your first "oldies collection" SACDs! I'd certainly buy it! :)

21. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

FYI, I just searched www.musicspace.com and could not find the "Changin' Times" CDs. This is the sight that carries Steve's excellent Beach Boys 2-CD set on Razor and Tie, plus a lot of other CDs that are advertised on TV. Hopefully, someone will stumble across a site that carries "Changin' Times".

HeavyDistortion

22. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I've been searching every imaginable website for the last 2 days and...........

the only thing I now know is that Flatt and Scruggs made an album called "Changin' Times"!!

23. chip-hp

I have never bought a TV package (with the exception of your Beach Boys dbl CD after I learned who mastered it) due to concerns about sound quality and rerecordings. Most of those packages are probably slapped together using the easiest and least expensive sources.

Steve -

While you are talking to that guy at Razor & Tie about my copy of "Changin' Times", you might suggest that they include your name in those TV promotions of CDs which you have mastered.

Chip

24. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Great! You are aware that US military members serving overseas do not receive ANY US commercials. No wonder I never heard of this set until now. Sign.... :(

25. chip-hp

A guy in the NY area that deals in "offered on TV closeouts" told me that a friend at Razor & Tie told him that "Changin' Times" was offered only on TV, didn't do well and was quickly deleted. If someone could find out where R & T sends its poor performing CDs to die, we could all be happy.:)

Steve ... ???????????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.