Steve's Dobie Gray disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MMM, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hello Steve,

How's that Dobie Gray disc you were working on coming along? It seemed like you were having a little trouble working on it in a previous post, but I haven't heard any mention of it lately. Are your friends Larry Levine or Stan Ross involved at all to help out or something, like telling you how much Scotch tape to use to get the speed right? (that amazed me when I first heard that's how they "varispeeded" at Gold Star back in the day).

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Still working on it, probably to be released in the first quarter of '03.

Since everything is being remixed, it's tough to match the old feel of the hit versions. Dave Gold, Stan Ross and Larry Levine taught me how to get the echo just right, but I have problems with adding so much analog compression to everything. I'm trying to get a "compromise" mix without rewriting history.

I've got the speeds right though. Good old trusty 3M masking tape to the rescue!

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I'm sure it'll be great Steve. Masking tape, huh?

Will this also have "Drift Away", or was that a problem with licensing or something due to different record companies?

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Hmm...doesn't sound like we'll get any mono mixes this time out. All I have on CD is needledrops of the mono Lp. Next time I see that stereo Charger Lp I'll buy it whatever the condition. Still kicking myself over that one.

ED:cool:

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

That's good news!

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There are a few monos on there. I'll put the original mono mix of "The In Crowd" at the end.

"Drift Away" won't be on there. It's all over the place and really doesn't fit the "Northern Soul" style of the rest of the songs.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

But if you would like a Dobie Gray disc that has the early hits, Drift Away and his country singles from the 1980s, look no further than the Hip-O Ultimate Collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.