Stevie Wonder Talking Book LP best re-issue pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dogpile, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner. Thread Starter

I've seen a few of them around - a standard Tamla issue, two 180g issues and now the recent MFSL Silver Label LP.

Looking to buy a re-issue to replace my aging Canadian copy.

How does the MFSL compare to the others?

2. dogpile

Someone here must have picked up the recent MSFL LP of this title....

3. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I would be very suspicious of any new, sealed versions purporting to be Tamlas. At best they are Scorpios.

The MFSL isn't out yet, AFAIK. Another few days yet.

4. oddeyo

oddeyo New Member

Used mint originals of that title are commonplace, at least down here. Have you checked the used bins? You would be buying the original mastering.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Tamla-Motown UK pressing on EMI slays all comers. And your Canadian originals are very excellent in nice condition, and usually have better surfaces than their US counterparts.

6. dogpile

Thanks for the comments guys :edthumbs:

Although my early Canadian press is very good, the $22.99 MFSL price is very appealing - guess I'll wait for some reviews first.

7. dogpile

8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Not to bust MFSL's bubble but the original masters are in Wonder's possestion and all Universal/Motown has are un-eq'ed copytapes from what was published in ICE when they did the Stevie Wonder CD reissues in the late 90's. From what was printed, Wonder has them and won't relinquish them to the label. Unless he turned them over unanounced, it's from a copytape.

9. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I believe MFSL "Silver label" issues state they are not from the original masters.

Only the Gold releases make such claims.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have the MFSL silver and an unidentified heavy vinyl US reissue purchased 10 years ago sealed. (No bar code). The Mo-fi substitutes much of the muddyness for clarity though some tracks sound quite dull. Downside is a loss of weight to the sound especially on Superstition. As usual Mo-Fi is cut at low level so extra volume is required. The Mo-fi does not suffer from pimped up high frequencies and is probably as good as it gets with this recording which is not especialy great. It does not appear to be a half speed master and is apparantly made from a copy as Stevie will not release original master tape. Pressing is flat and very quiet. Silver series do not claim 'Original Master Recording' but have 'Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab' printed in the top band.

11. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I've got the recent Tamla Motown reissue on heavyweight vinyl. It is a VERY noisy pressing indeed for a new cut. Even cleaning didn't help much. I wouldn't recommend this. It had 'VINYL LOVERS' label on the outside sticker - but has the Motown label. So I'm not 100% sure about the exact mastering origin of this either. But if you ARE a vinyl lover - you won't have much love for this crackly re-issue. :(

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Russian label that source Universal catalogue from CD - Certainly this lot aren't vinyl lovers and just cashing in on the vinyl revival. Any indication who pressed this ?

13. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Just grabbed the mofi and compared it to the original us tamla pressing (side 2). In a slight margin, I favor the tamla pressing. The tamla has a little more life to it. It also has more bass in the mix.

The mofi is not bad and pressed on better quality vinyl. Some tracks have lots of detail and some are a bit dull. I was disappointed with "Superstitous," and "I Believe (when I fall in love it will be forever." I found them to be weaker than the original us.

That's just my I opinion, I am sure many here will disagree.

14. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

Does anyone else have an opinion on the Tamla-Motown UK pressing on EMI and how it measures up with the others?

McLover, have you heard the MFSL?

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, I have heard the MFSL. It's excellent. I still prefer the UK EMI/Tamla-Motown by a little bit on mastering.

16. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

Thank you for the reply McLover.

17. James Reeno

James Reeno Active Member

Bypass the MFSL silver label pressings of Stevie...They are tinny sounding and lacking in BASS.

18. James Reeno

James Reeno Active Member

Agreed. I think the "music of my mind" MFSL sounds very thin compared to the Tamla original.

19. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Yes..but the clarity is beautiful...I just turn up the bass....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.