Still listened to in 2099?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by simon simms, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon simms

simon simms Active Member Thread Starter

Hi newbee here , stumbled upon this place and delighted I did.

Which artists/band will be last until the end of the century? The obvious answer is the classic artists from the 60s and 70s : Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Floyd, Zep , Who etc...

Each new generation to some extent favours the zeitgeist music of the moment and for the same reason the after glow from the previous decade at least .

So if you take someone under 30 and look at music from the 65/75 era , punk, new wave, and new romantic - you get something like a controlled experiment - they are mainly judging the previous eras on intrinsic musical value.
    And overall the classic bands and artists have lasted longer than :punks bands Dammed, Jam Undertones , and 80s bands like The Police and Duran Duran.

So bands will come and go but although at any given time bands or artists will be more popular , they will in time fade and the classic classic, will hang on in there. Unless you get some really brilliant music.

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Perhaps,
    In the Year Of Our Overlord 2099,
    there will be renewed nostalgia, awareness and curiosity, for any primitive music recorded with human-istic voices...

jicerswine likes this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Sorry, had to do it.

2trackmind, AndydD, Mickey2 and 7 others like this.
  4. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's hard to predict. You probably couldn't have convinced many people in 1970 that more people would be listening to The Monkees than Grand Funk Railroad in 2018.

Bern, agundy, AndydD and 9 others like this.
  6. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

7. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I always thought it would be really cool to be around in the year 2112 to see if the epic Rush album still holds up.

8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

In The Year 2525

2trackmind and Mickey2 like this.
  9. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Queen. They’re taking the lead right now in classic rock.

jicerswine and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

There will likely be no world left.

oneslip17 likes this.
  11. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

We all gonna be dead.

Bebstrel likes this.
  12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

13. 9la

9la Forum Resident

You do realize we'll be underwater by then? Oh, sorry, not supposed to be honest...

Henryflowr and mbleicher1 like this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Devo will make a huge commercial comeback in 2092, but it will only be short lived.

Sharebree Twofellow Smithinson/Deeks will be coming to the end of a startling career that started off with a photodance cover of born to be alive and ended up creating a whole new genre of music that involved real instruments, something unseen in fifty years. Sadly the transgender cyborg would lose popularity after being caught in a food market bathroom with a telefunken u47, but we don't want to go into that right now.

In the year 2098 the obvious choice of most popular artist was Dragma Valencia but Technicathrashdance lost its popularity when three people spontaneously combusted at the 1st (and last) annual Technicathrashdance party show at the newly rebuilt (again) Wembley stadium.

After decades of sitting in the Beatles shadow, the surprise top seller for 2099 was the remixed and remastered (for the seventy fifth time) Beach Boys Surfin' Surfari. The single was remixed, from what is believed to be an original source tape (though many argue its existence), into Omniround Sensory Overload Dynamic Interactive Transference (O sod it) ... Certainly the most popular single of 2099

The biggest tour of 2099 was actually the reconstituted remains of Kiss, Gene (whose head was cryogenically frozen and set in the museum of ancient art) heard there was a buck to be made from a passing cocktail waitress and Paul just went along for the ride, obviously after they had finished the reconstitution.

The biggest selling album .... well they haven't made albums in forty five years. The attention span of the average punter in 2099 is approximately five minutes ... That's how Kiss managed to make so much on their tour. They played twenty, one song shows each alternate day for eight months, then after infighting, between Gene and Peter it all came to a startling end as they all vapourised at the climax of Black Diamond.

Wes_in_va, Zeki, DesertHermit and 3 others like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Beatles...

BeaTleBob5 and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  16. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

With my take-no-prisoners rock n roll life style, I won't even make it that long...

But i bet the album Pure Comedy by Father John Misty will be even more fully realized than it is right now.

17. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Incorrect, I will be turning 120 that year.

18. John54

John54 Senior Member

I always say that all my favourite songs will be listened to in the indefinite future because they're good songs!

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

will vinyl be playable...
    please something else!

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Abba. The movies and the broadway play will keep their music alive.

21. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

22. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Is that going to be a new act? Because that Beat boom died in the 1960s.

23. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Monkees

agundy and Gaslight like this.
  24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

25. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Radiohead, Elvis, San Cooke, Aretha, The Ramones, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young, Prince, Elliott Smith, Carole King, Ella Fitzgerald.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.