Still listened to in 2099?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by simon simms, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Benwell

Brandon Benwell Ready An' Willin'

People will still be listening to the artists that best marketed their material. Like, I can see people still being crazy about Michael Jackson, Prince to a lesser extent. Metallica, Sabbath, Deep Purple and Zeppelin for sure since future generations will still be learning Smoke On The Water and Stairway as their first songs on guitar.
    Bob Dylan and Neil Young.. yeah probably.

However, with that being said.. albums from artists not mentioned above will still be in print one way or another and people will still be listening. I don't see any major acts being pushed into obscurity or music being lost since we have everything digital. I mean, people still listen to Mozart and Bach right?

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  2. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

There was something special in rock music from the mid-sixties until sometime in the 70's...it didn't die out all at once, or start all at once, but there is an era there where lots of music seems to have staying power. The bands popular now aren't necessarily the ones who were popular then - but that shouldn't really be a surprise. The great jazz artists will also get their due.

I think there will be a canon of esteemed artists but also, more than classical music (perhaps, I am no expert) there will be a recognition of the medium's transitory elements and, henceforth, plenty of individual songs/recordings that achieved greatness by artists who were not otherwise distinguished.

The very last music of the 20th century to perish will be Louie Louie by the Kingsmen, recorded for $30 or something. Of this last prediction I am fairly certain.

Brandon Benwell likes this.
  3. How much music from 1918 was still being played in 1999? Not much at all.

It may not happen in the next decade or two, but we are eventually going to develop computer AI that composes music as brilliant as any human musician. Music will be one of the first creative fields attacked and overwhelmed by AI since it's so easily translated to mathmatical representation.

4. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

But who will listen?

Music has a prominent social aspect. That's why there are booms, why production of the most enduring music is clustered in time and place. New instrumentation. New ideas. Start with the rudiments. People build from there. Then the "classic" period where the most enduring music is produced. Then repetition, copycats, fragementation into genres until the next form comes along.

A computer can write a million songs in 5 minutes. Who will listen? No one.

5. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Air Supply will have a major comeback in 2085, after that whole publicity stunt with their head jars, obviously. It will generate enough interest among the Brids that I think they'll still have plenty of cranial downloads to satisfy the charts in 2099.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

2099 history of recorded music class essentials:

bob dylan

neil young

joni mitchell

the beatles

the rolling stones

jimi hendrix - but only the first 3 albums, all those posthumous crap records will be gone with the wind.

maybe:

pink floyd

elvis

motown - generically

after that, it's a crapshoot.

7. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

This.

And this. I think that I have this strange need for the music that I love to live on beyond me, but in reality most of it won’t if history is any indication.

I have three music related tattoos - Mozart, The Beatles, and Prince. Crazy to think that the one that might be the most recognized 100 years from now is also the oldest artist in the bunch.

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not really a crapshoot. There's been forty years passed since the artists you've mentioned.

Almost guaranteed you'll see MJ, Madonna, Public Enemy and 2Pac as well - enough time has passed for them that the history books are already being written. Newer artists are unclear but I would think artists like Kanye West and Beyoncé are likely going to be shoe-in's at this point.

History class, as you mentioned.

9. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Without question The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, and Jimi Hendrix.
    I would hope against hope King Crimson as well.
    What me worry... long dead or raptured.

10. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

“Joni Mitchell”
    The only ones who for sure will survive are The Beatles.

11. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Yeah it’s arguable Joni Mitchell hasn’t even survived with the younger generations currently. I don’t see her music being remembered much in 2099 except with amateur music historians, and her being more remembered than Pink Floyd or Elvis is a pipe dream.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ever listen to her lyrics?

that is why i include her.

historically quite relevant.

13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Anybody who died young gets priority.

14. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

Les ScarAbées (w/ an "A") which is French for ... The BeaTles (w/ an "A").

:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.