Looking for Elvis Presley recording session contracts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daryl, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daryl

Daryl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys and gals,

One of the things I have been doing for the last several years is researching and collecting scans / photocopies of recording session contracts pertaining to Elvis Presley's recording sessions both at Sun and RCA Victor. These would include both the American Federation of Musicians or Memphis Federation of Musicians (Sun era recordings), the Orchestra Manager's Reports (Motion Picture Soundtracks) and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists contracts (backup vocalists and Elvis' vocal contract). My focus is strictly on the years 1954-1977. I do have some posthumous session contracts such as the AFTRA contracts for the 1981 "Guitar Man" album, the 1982 "Elvis Medley" album, the 1983 "I Was The One" album and the AFM contracts for the 1981 soundtrack album "This Is Elvis," but for the most part I try to stay within the 1954-1977 scope.

That said, I'm not concerned too much whether the contract I have is redacted or not. I have some that are and others that are not. It doesn't bother me as long as the contract isn't redacted to the point where the pertinent information cannot be discerned (Studio and studio location, session hours and date, song titles, musicians' names and instruments, etc.). One other point I want to be clear about. I am not looking for copies of the RCA recording pages. I have these already and while they are nice, they really don't have much information in some instances, as far as the musicians, session date and hours and studio. One example is the motion picture soundtracks. In most cases the RCA recording pages were derived whenever RCA acquired the tapes from the motion picture company. In many cases, this was several months after the sessions had already been completed.

In my research, I have already gone through a number of local AFM archives, including Memphis, Nashville, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, and even the Pension Fund in New York. In the course of this research, I have been able to uncover a few tidbits about a number of sessions, including previously undocumented musicians called to sessions and not being properly credited on the session and even previously unknown / undocumented overdub sessions.

I thought I would try to give a rundown of which contracts I am looking for. I did a Google search and noticed that forum resident george nadara had previously posted an AFM contract for a Roy Orbison session dated on June 26, 1961 at RCA Studio B in Nashville. Here's a link to the thread in question:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/nashville-rca-studio-b-footage-incredible.347145/page-8

If any forum members have any information pertaining to any of these session contracts that I am looking for, please let me know either in this thread or via e-mail. I can be reached at [email protected]

Here's what I am looking for. Please bear in mind that for now I am mostly looking for AFM contracts more so than AFTRA contracts. I should also point out that in the absolute absence of the AFM contract, I would at least like to locate either the time card or time sheet pertaining to the session. In some case I have already fulfilled this matter but I would still like to locate the AFM contract / Orchestra Manager's Report above all else.

Sun Sessions (1954-1955)
    Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from August, 1954 - This contract should be for the recording of "Blue Moon" based on Ernst Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from mid-September, 1954 - This contract should be for the recording of "Good Rockin' Tonight" and "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine" based on Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from late January - early February, 1955 - This contract should be for the recording of "Baby Let's Play House" based on Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from April, 1955 - This contract should be for the recording of "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" based on Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from early November, 1955 - This contract should be for the recording of "When It Rains, It Pours" based on Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

I already have 3 of the MFM contracts for the Sun era (1954-1955) that pertain to the Sun Studio sessions.

Nashville, New York and Hollywood Recording Sessions (1956-1958)
    AFM contract for January 10-11, 1956 - RCA MacGavock Street - Nashville, TN - These sessions produced the RCA single "Heartbreak Hotel" / "I Was The One"

AFM contract for January 30-31, 1956 and February 3, 1956 - RCA Studios - New York, NY - These sessions produced Elvis' recording of "Blue Suede Shoes."

AFM contract for April 14, 1956 - RCA MacGavock Street - Nashville, TN - This session produced "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You."

AFM contract for July 2, 1956 - RCA Studios, New York, NY - These sessions produced both "Hound Dog" and "Don't Be Cruel."

AFM contract for February 26, 1958 - Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA - This is an overdub session by Elvis only for the song "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck."

New York, San Diego and Hollywood Television Appearances (1956-1957)*
    January 28, 1956 - Dorsey Brothers, CBS Studio 50, New York
    February 4, 1956 - Dorsey Brothers, CBS Studio 50, New York
    February 11, 1956 - Dorsey Brothers, CBS Studio 50, New York
    February 18, 1956 - Dorsey Brothers, CBS Studio 50, New York
    March 17, 1956 - Dorsey Brothers, CBS Studio 50, New York
    March 24, 1956 - Dorsey Brothers, CBS Studio 50, New York
    April 3, 1956 - Milton Berle Show, USS Hancock, San Diego Naval Station, San Diego, CA
    June 5, 1956 - Milton Berle Show, NBC Hollywood Studios
    July 1, 1956 - Steve Allen Show, Hudson Theatre, New York
    September 9, 1956 - Ed Sullivan Show, CBS Studios, Los Angeles, CA
    October 28, 1956 - Ed Sullivan Show, CBS Studios, Los Angeles, CA
    January 6, 1957 - Ed Sullivan Show, CBS Studios, Los Angeles, CA

* - I am looking for AFM contracts for all of the above listed television appearances.

Various Locations - Live Appearances (1956)*
    April - May, 1956 Las Vegas, NV engagement at the New Frontier Hotel
    May 16, 1956 - Robinson Memorial Coliseum, Little Rock, Arkansas
    September 26, 1956 - Tupelo Fairgrounds, Tupelo, MS
    December 15, 1956 - Hirsch Memorial Coliseum, Shreveport, LA

* - I am looking for AFM contracts for all of the above personal live appearances.

Nashville, Hollywood, New York, Memphis and Las Vegas Sessions (1960-1969)
    March 20-21, 1960 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced the single "Stuck On You" / "Fame And Fortune."
    April 3-4, 1960 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced most of the "Elvis Is Back" LP and singles "It's Now Or Never" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight?"
    October 30-31, 1960 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced the "His Hand In Mine" LP and the singles "Surrender" and "Crying In The Chapel."
    March 12-13, 1961 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced most of the "Something For Everybody" LP and the single "I Feel So Bad."
    June 25-26, 1961 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced the single "His Latest Flame" / "Little Sister."
    October 15-16, 1961 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced the single "Good Luck Charm" / "Anything That's Part Of You."
    March 18-19, 1962 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced the single "She's Not You" / "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello"
    January 12, 1964 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced the sides "Ask Me" and "It Hurts Me."
    February 24-26, 1965 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced the soundtrack LP, "Harum Scarum." The film may be referred to as "Harem Holiday" on the contract.
    March 18, 1965 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Overdub session for the Sun recording "Tomorrow Night."
    July 27, 1965 - Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA - Orchestra Manager's Report from a session from the film soundtrack "Paradise, Hawaiian Style." It may be referred to as "Hawaiian Paradise" instead on the Orchestra Manager's Report.
    October, 1965 - RCA Studios, New York - Overdub session for "Santa Lucia."
    May 25-28, 1966 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Sessions that produced the "How Great Thou Art" LP and the "Love Letters" single.
    June 10-12, 1966 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Sessions that produced the singles "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" and "Indescribably Blue."
    June 20, 1966 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Overdub session for Christmas song.
    March 20, 1967 - RCA Studio A, Nashville, TN - Overdub session for home recording of "Suppose."
    September 10-11, 1967 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Sessions that produced the single "Guitar Man" and "Big Boss Man."
    October 1, 1967 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Soundtrack sessions for the motion picture "Stay Away, Joe."
    January 15-16, 1968 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Sessions that produced the single "U.S. Male."
    March 25, 1969 - RCA Studio A, Nashville, TN - Overdub Session for songs such as "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road."
    May 7, 1969 - American Sound Studio, Memphis, TN - Overdub of strings to "Suspicious Minds" and "Stranger In My Own Home Town."
    August 7, 1969 - United Recorders, Las Vegas, NV - Overdub of horns on "Suspicious Minds."
    August 21-26, 1969 - International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV - Live concert recordings.

1970-1977
    June 9, 1971 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Session for "He Is My Everything," "There Is No God But God," "I, John," "Bosom Of Abraham."
    December 12-16, 1973 - Stax Studios, Memphis, TN - Sessions for the "Good Times" and "Promised Land" albums.
    January 2, 1974 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Overdub session for "Promised Land" and "I Got A Feeling In My Body."
    January 20-24, 1977 - Creative Workshop, Nashville, TN - I have a few of these but not all of these contracts.

At a later date I will try to surmise the AFTRA contracts I am looking for.

Thanks,

Daryl Restly

2. Daryl

Several years ago, I posted a thread in which I was looking for AFM & AFTRA contracts.
    [MODERATOR COMMENT: Threads now merged.]
    Since that time, we have located a good many of the AFM contracts we were looking for. There are a few that I omitted from my original list. I thought this would be a good time to try and update the list, so to speak. If anyone has any of these, feel free to drop me a line or post a reply.

Sun Sessions (1954-1955)
    Memphis Federation of Musicians contract for July 5, 1954 and possibly July 7, 1954. Although Elvis didn't join the MFM until July 30, 1954, it is possible that there may be a contract for these sessions, since I believe that Scotty Moore and Bill Black were already in the musicians' union, due to their work with Doug Poindexter and the Starlite Wranglers.

Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from August, 1954 - This contract should be for the recording of "Blue Moon" based on Ernst Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from mid-September, 1954 - This contract should be for the recording of "Good Rockin' Tonight" and "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine" based on Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from late January - early February, 1955 - This contract should be for the recording of "Baby Let's Play House" based on Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from April, 1955 - This contract should be for the recording of "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" based on Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

Memphis Federation of Musicians contract from early November, 1955 - This contract should be for the recording of "When It Rains, It Pours" based on Jorgensen's "A Boy From Tupelo."

AFM contract for February 3, 1956 - RCA Studios - New York, NY - These sessions produced Elvis' recording of "Lawdy, Miss Clawdy" and "Shake, Rattle And Roll."

AFM contract for February 26, 1958 - Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA - This is an overdub session by Elvis only for the song "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck."

April 3, 1956 - Milton Berle Show, USS Hancock, San Diego Naval Station, San Diego, CA
    October 28, 1956 - Ed Sullivan Show, CBS Studios, Los Angeles, CA
    January 6, 1957 - Ed Sullivan Show, CBS Studios, Los Angeles, CA

* - I am looking for AFM contracts for all of the above listed television appearances.

* - I am looking for AFM contracts for all of the above personal live appearances.

January 12, 1964 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Sessions produced the sides "Ask Me" and "It Hurts Me."
    March 18, 1965 - RCA Studio B - Nashville, TN - Overdub session for the Sun recording "Tomorrow Night."
    July 27, 1965 - Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA - Orchestra Manager's Report from a session from the film soundtrack "Paradise, Hawaiian Style." It may be referred to as "Hawaiian Paradise" instead on the Orchestra Manager's Report.
    October 13, 1965 - RCA Studios, New York - Overdub session for "Santa Lucia."
    Unknown Date, 1965 - Unknown Studio & Location - Overdub session for "Wild In The Country."
    May 25-28, 1966 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Sessions that produced the "How Great Thou Art" LP and the "Love Letters" single.
    June 10-12, 1966 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Sessions that produced the singles "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" and "Indescribably Blue."
    June 20, 1966 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Overdub session for Christmas song.
    March 20, 1967 - RCA Studio A, Nashville, TN - Overdub session for home recording of "Suppose."
    September 10-11, 1967 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Sessions that produced the single "Guitar Man" and "Big Boss Man."
    October 1, 1967 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Soundtrack sessions for the motion picture "Stay Away, Joe."
    January 15-16, 1968 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Sessions that produced the single "U.S. Male."
    August 9, 1968 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Overdub session for "Beyond The Reef."
    March 25, 1969 - RCA Studio A, Nashville, TN - Overdub Session for songs such as "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road."
    May 7, 1969 - American Sound Studio, Memphis, TN - Overdub of strings to "Suspicious Minds" and "Stranger In My Own Home Town."
    August 7, 1969 - United Recorders, Las Vegas, NV - Overdub of horns on "Suspicious Minds."
    August 21-26, 1969 - International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV - Live concert recordings.

1970-1977
    June 19, 1977 and June 21, 1977 - Live concert recordings made by CBS Television for the TV Special, "Elvis In Concert."

There are a few other things that I'd like to locate that, in most instances don't necessarily pertain directly to Elvis' recording sessions but have some sort of Elvis connection.

Thanks,

Daryl Restly

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
    Shawn likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Good Luck, looks like a fun project.

4. Daryl

Thank you. Since just a few weeks ago when I updated the list, we've located 5 contracts alone, though I believe I left 4 of those 5 off my last list because I knew at the time I would be obtaining them. The one on the last list that I posted that we've located is the March 18, 1965 overdub session contract. I'm pretty sure there are at least two others that I should be getting in the near future that are still on the list. In the case of the one contract, I already have the time-card for that session as well. I should also point out that I made a mistake in the list, in that the second and third appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show originated from New York, not California.

5. Daryl

A few more can be crossed off the list.

Sun Sessions (1954-1955)
    Memphis Federation of Musicians contract for July 5, 1954 and possibly July 7, 1954. Although Elvis didn't join the MFM until July 30, 1954, it is possible that there may be a contract for these sessions, since I believe that Scotty Moore and Bill Black were already in the musicians' union, due to their work with Doug Poindexter and the Starlite Wranglers.

AFM contract for February 3, 1956 - RCA Studios - New York, NY - These sessions produced Elvis' recording of "Lawdy, Miss Clawdy" and "Shake, Rattle And Roll."

October 28, 1956 - Ed Sullivan Show, CBS Studios, New York, NY
    January 6, 1957 - Ed Sullivan Show, CBS Studios, New York, NY

October 13, 1965 - RCA Studios, New York - Overdub session for "Santa Lucia."
    Unknown Date, 1965 - Unknown Studio & Location - Overdub session for "Wild In The Country."
    August 9, 1968 - RCA Studio B, Nashville, TN - Overdub session for "Beyond The Reef."

1970-1977
    June 19, 1977 and June 21, 1977 - Live concert recordings made by CBS Television for the TV Special, "Elvis In Concert."

6. Daryl

Located one off the previous list for sure; that being the January 15-16, 1968 one. May have located all of the ones from 1966 and 1967 as well as the ones from 1956 and 1958. I should know more in about a month.

Sun Sessions (1954-1955)

October 11, 1965 - RCA Studios, New York - Overdub session for "Santa Lucia."

1970-1977

7. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Do you happen to collect signed Elvis or other contracts ?

8. Daryl

Not originals. I just want copies of the contracts. Do you realize how expensive that would be to have the originals? I primarily am concerned with recording session contracts which would include the AFM contracts (American Federation of Musicians = musicians' union), AFTRA contracts (American Federation of Television & Radio Artists = backup vocalists' union) and contracts pertaining to concerts and television appearances where recordings were made and have been issued, more so in the 1950s and early 1960s than in the 1970s. I'm not really interested in contracts through the American Guild of Variety Artists (AGVA) from the 1970s for individual musicians and backup vocalists signing on to participate on a tour or engagement. I've seen some of these sell at auctions but for the most part we know who the members of Elvis' band were at the time.

I do have musician union documentation (both rhythm section and orchestra) for most of the Las Vegas engagements Elvis did between 1969 and 1976 for his rhythm section and the orchestra. The only years that stand out where I am missing are the years 1969, 1971 and 1974. From what I recall, when we researched this avenue, we were told that around November, 1969, the local union in Las Vegas voted on a referendum to join a health and pension fund which passed and went into effect beginning in January, 1970. We were also told that the local in Las Vegas had to retain all records from that point onwards for perpetuity, in case there would ever be an issue. Hence we cannot locate session contract documentation pertaining to Elvis' 1969 Las Vegas engagement or the horn overdub on "Suspicious Minds" which was also done in Las Vegas in August, 1969. In both of those instances, we do have the RCA recording pages and we also have a copy of the William Morris AGVA contract between Elvis and the International Hotel dated April 15, 1969 in which both Elvis and Alex Shoofey signed. For the years 1971 and 1974, I do have documentation on the rhythm section but not the orchestra.

I do have some documentation pertaining to Elvis' appearances in Lake Tahoe, though it basically only lists the members of Elvis' rhythm section, the conductor, Joe Guercio and the contractor, Al Tronti. It does not list the members of the orchestra. I would like to find more documentation pertaining to the television appearances from the 1950s and early 1960s. The only things I have in that regard are a copy of an AFM contract for the Nelson Riddle Orchestra from the March, 1960 television appearance signed by Riddle and the employer is Frank Sinatra's production company, Hobart Productions. I also have a letter which lists the members of the Nelson Riddle Orchestra that participated during that show. Both the contract and the letter have the heading of the Miami Federation of Musicians. I have seen a copy of a contract for Elvis' first appearance on the Milton Berle show. There's also a contract out there for Elvis' first Las Vegas engagement in 1956. Lastly, there's a few AFM contract for live appearances in which recordings have surfaced that I'd like to find. These would include Little Rock, AR - May, 1956, Tupelo, MS - September, 1956 and Shreveport, LA - December, 1956.

As far as session contracts signed by Elvis, I do have copies of some of the ones from the recording sessions. From July, 1954 through October, 1960, Elvis was the session leader on practically every session he participated in, which makes his rise in the entertainment field all the more astounding. This was a kid, a year out of high school, who went from being an amateur musician and in less than a year worked his way up to not just being good enough to get into the musicians' union but also was good enough to become session leader. Being that Elvis was session leader, he was required to sign the session contracts. There are only a handful of exceptions. Those exceptions would include all six films Elvis made between August, 1956 and October, 1960 ("Love Me Tender," "Loving You," "Jailhouse Rock," "King Creole," "G.I. Blues," "Flaming Star") and one overdub session for "It's Now Or Never" where pianist Floyd Cramer was the session leader and his signature is on the contract.

Sometime between October 30-31, 1960 ("His Hand In Mine" LP and "Surrender" Nashville sessions) and March 12-13, 1961 ("Something For Everybody" and "I Feel So Bad" Nashville sessions. I believe Elvis joined AFTRA. He still retained his membership in the AFM. By joining AFTRA I believe he got a higher pay scale than simply being the session leader on his own sessions. In turn, guitarist Scotty Moore got a bit of a bump in pay raise on the sessions he was doing with Elvis, as he became the primary session leader, for the most part for the next seven years. I know several years ago when Gordon Stoker passed away SAG-AFTRA posted an online memorial to him and they mentioned that he was instrumental in the opening of a local AFTRA office in Nashville in 1961. I would have to think that would have been around the time Elvis joined AFTRA. I should also point out that for Elvis' film career, the Screen Actors' Guild (SAG) primarily handled compensating the various backup vocal groups on the soundtrack sessions, not AFTRA. I do have a few letters that make reference to the members of the Jordanaires making SAG rate on some of the latter soundtrack sessions including "Clambake." I do have some AFTRA contracts. I think the earliest one I have is from the May, 1963 Nashville sessions that produced "(You're The) Devil In Disguise." Between 1964 and 1969, I only have a handful more AFTRA contracts. The ones that come to mind are the January, 1964 Nashville sessions, one or two from May, 1966 Nashville and one from September, 1967 Nashville. From 1970 onward, I have many more AFTRA contracts, including overdubs done after the fact. From 1971 and 197 I'm still missing a few from 1970 through 1973 for studio work. I think I have most of them from 1975 through 1977.

The other thing I collect are copies of the time cards / time sheets from the sessions. I have pretty much all of the ones from Nashville between 1970 and 1977 with the exception of the April, 1975 overdubs done at Quadrafonic Studios in Nashville and I think one or two others. I also have copies of the time card / time sheet from the last two nights at Stax in Memphis from July, 1973 and all of the December, 1973 Stax ones. From the 1960s, I have all of the time cards from the Nashville sessions in March-April, 1960. I have a few more from Nashville for June and October, 1961, March, 1962, January, 1964, February, 1965 and February, 1967. I do have some documentation pertaining to the last ten years of Elvis' life and his payment of his AFM union dues. There were a few instances where he was late with his dues. I also got a copy of Elvis' application to join the AFM union in 1954. I also collect copies of the various RCA contracts and amendments made to his record deal with the label, including the March, 1973 RCA buyout.

The other things I have gotten into collecting copies of are letters and depositions pertaining to the divorce of Elvis and Priscilla and some of the dealings that were going on after Elvis died between his estate and RCA. There are some interesting pieces of information that can be derived from these documents.

9. Daryl

Here's another updated list. Note that we have located one contract from 1956 and several from the years 1966 and 1967.

Sun Sessions (1954-1955)

1970-1977

10. Daryl

I thought I'd update this list again. We did locate the missing contracts from June, 1966 as well as the contracts from the various live performances (Las Vegas - William Morris contract, Little Rock - AFM, Tupelo - AFM and Shreveport - AFM).

Sun Sessions (1954-1955)
    Memphis Federation of Musicians contract for July 5, 1954 and possibly July 7, 1954. Although Elvis didn't join the MFM until July 30, 1954, it is possible that there may be a contract for these sessions, since I believe that Scotty Moore and Bill Black were already in the musicians' union, due to their work with Doug Poindexter and the Starlite Wranglers on the Sun label.

May 7, 1969 - American Sound Studio, Memphis, TN - Overdub of strings to "Suspicious Minds" and "Stranger In My Own Home Town."*

* - We may already have this contract though there is some question as to the authenticity of it due to the fact that it is handwritten. Most signs point to it being authentic, as there are no RCA recording pages for this overdub session and after interviewing arranger Glen Spreen, he indicated before he passed away that this is when and where he did the string overdubs to these two songs. The contract is handwritten on a blank copy of the second page of another contract (has the same contract number in top right corner) from another May, 1969 American Sound Elvis overdub session. On the original second page, only one musician was listed; hence it would have been very easy to take a blank copy of it and use it again.

1970-1977

11. Daryl

I thought I would update this list again 7/7/ 19. We have located the February 26, 1958 contract for the overdubbing Elvis did on "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck." We also located a second contract that I was unaware of that pertained to the cancelled August 28-29, 1962 sessions for the film, "It Happened At The World's Fair" (originally titled "Take Me To The Fair"). We did locate the July 27, 1965 Studio Orchestra Manager's Report for the film, "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" (originally titled "Hawaiian Paradise").

Sun Sessions (1954-1955)
    Memphis Federation of Musicians contract for July 5, 1954 and possibly July 7, 1954. Although Elvis didn't join the MFM until July 30, 1954, it is possible that there may be a contract for these sessions, since I believe that Scotty Moore and Bill Black were already in the musicians' union, due to their work with Doug Poindexter and the Starlite Wranglers on the Sun label.

May 7, 1969 - American Sound Studio, Memphis, TN - Overdub of strings to "Suspicious Minds" and "Stranger In My Own Home Town."*

* - We may already have this contract though there is some question as to the authenticity of it due to the fact that it is handwritten. Most signs point to it being authentic, as there are no RCA recording pages for this overdub session and after interviewing arranger Glen Spreen, he indicated before he passed away that this is when and where he did the string overdubs to these two songs. The contract is handwritten on a blank copy of the second page of another contract (has the same contract number in top right corner) from another May, 1969 American Sound Elvis overdub session. On the original second page, only one musician was listed; hence it would have been very easy to take a blank copy of it and use it again.

1970-1977

There are a few other things we are looking for that don't necessarily pertain to Elvis but are in some way related to Elvis. These would include things such as the AFM contracts for the 1973 Palm Springs / RCA Hollywood demos by his backup vocal group Voice that Elvis purportedly produced. Two examples of things such as this that we did locate copies of are the AFM contract from when R&B singer Roy Hamilton recorded the song "Angelica" in January 1969 at American Sound Studio in Memphis. The other example is the AFM contracts for the James Burton solo album, "The Guitar Sounds Of James Burton," which was recorded in March 1971 at RCA Studio B in Nashville after Elvis became ill with an eye problem. Some of the studio time that had been booked for Elvis was used for the Burton solo LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.