Still no Blu-Ray release for

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Eye of the Devil, by J. Lee Thompson. It may never happen, I know.

2. I paid over half that for Gleaming the Cube...and it wasn't even widescreen. :shrug:

hi_watt likes this.
  3. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

My DVD of The Gods Must Be Crazy looks like it was mastered from a VHS tape. :(

Can't wait for a blu-ray release, then I can see this beauty in high def:

[​IMG]
    :love:

hi_watt and Lucidae like this.
  4. Supergirl :hide:

5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

All of the Warner Bros released Hammer horror films (some have been released in the UK and are not listed below):

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
    Taste The Blood Of Dracula
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
    Dracula AD 1972

All the Sony distributed Hammer films:
    The Gorgon
    The Two Faces Of Dr Jekyll
    Curse OF The Mummy's Tomb

Other Hammer films:
    Scars Of Dracula
    The Satanic Rites Of Dracula
    Horror Of Frankenstein
    Lust For A Vampire
    When Dinosaurs Roamed The Earth
    Kiss Of The Vampire

Other movies including:

Murder By Decree
    Frankenstein, The True Story
    The Black Scorpion
    The Giant Behemoth
    The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
    Them
    Dinosaurus
    Neighbors (Belushi/Akroyd)
    Looking For Mr Goodbar
    The Keep
    The Valley Of Gwangi
    One Million Years BC

Manapua and GuildX700 like this.
  6. I worked on the marketing team for that very briefly in L.A. and would like to see it released as well.its not a grat movie by an means but it has elements that make it worthwhile for fans. If they had been able to get Christopher Reeve to appear as originally intended it might have helped but after the disaster of "Superman III" the Salkinds went in the wrong direction with "Supergirl" in terms of the script. The director's cut is a better film though.

7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Looker.

I broke down and downloaded Neighbors (Belushi/Akroyd) from iTunes in HD and it's very nice quality.

8. Even though they remain favourites to a whole generation of fans, the Christoper Reeve era Superman films have never received the treatment many (such as myself) believe they deserve. Although it was great to see Richard Donner's material for Superman II outside of behind-the-scenes pictures, his cut was compromised by a criminally low budget and editor Michael Thau removing too much of what had been directed by Richard Lester, meaning that the end result wasn't quite what it could have been - thankfully various fan edits prove that a great movie can be constructed using the best of both versions.

Building on what I said recently in another thread, Superman III and IV: The Quest for Peace in particular suffered on both DVD and Blu-ray due to plenty of already familiar scenes not being included, giving bootleggers a great opportunity to fill the blanks for those prepared to accept a hit in quality. The fact Warners is sitting on all this footage and not doing anything with it is a real shame, especially when you consider that a new boxed set is long overdue, as the most recent HD upgrade offers very little new apart from Bryan Singer's costly yet ultimately unused opening to Superman Returns.

I've never understood why Supergirl continues to be regarded as the proverbial black sheep of this series, as it's clearly the work of the same producers and intended to be part of the same universe, despite Reeve pulling out of his planned cameo at the last minute in favour of a simple radio message explaining his absence. Singer claimed his film deliberately ignored everything after the events of Superman II, yet this one detail could very easily be seen as a link to why Superman had disappeared for a while. So, what could be done with Supergirl for a theoretical Blu-ray edition?

The previous Limited Edition 2xDVD set only featured the international and director's cuts, meaning there's still the original theatrical version to include for a truly definitive collection. Furthermore, it would be great if the Anchor Bay commentary, vintage "making of" documentary and picture gallery could feature as well. On the other hand, I'd still rather see the full international broadcast version of Superman III restored at last along with the remaining deleted scenes from Superman II being cleaned up to a better standard. My old VHS rips need to be replaced so badly!

Back onto the subject of Supergirl for a moment, it's claimed that one brief piece was shot and then removed from all three released versions and may possibly remain in the vaults. Based on the descriptions I've read online, it seemed to involve someone at a protest being turned into an ice statue then melted. In every variation I've seen, all that remains of this person's death is the resulting pool of water. Along with the Metro Club sequence from Superman IV that is also known to be locked away, I'm most curious to see this more than perhaps any other outtake...

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

10. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

11. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

It would be nice if the theatrical release of Superman 2 got an individual release. Seeing the Donner cut is interesting, but it's not what was ultimately released and not what I grew up with... not to mention, it's still not a complete film in the sense that it doesn't look great. It's not the reworked version is seamless.

12. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

For the syfi fanatics me included I would like to see Firefly including Serenity and Farscape including Peace Keeper Wars all released in Blu Ray from DVD.

13. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

"Visions of Light- The Art of Cinematography"....this would be one of the greatest blu-rays ever if it was released in the format

doubleaapn and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  14. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

The Time Machine with Guy Pearce

Lucidae likes this.
  15. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

:confused: Aren't they?

I have the Firefly/Serenity blu rays. They're really good.

16. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

when I went to e bay didn't see any in blu ray at the time I got mine, oop's just looked and I did get Serenity in blu ray just not firefly.

17. I'm hoping someone like Shout will do Frankenstein: The True Story as I doubt Universal will release it on BD. I'd love to see a commentary track from David M and Leonard W. a featurette on the script and the original edit would be lovely if it exists.

18. I'm not a lone voice in the wilderness then that enjoyed this film even if it was flawed. Pearce gives a terrific performance.

kanakaris likes this.
  19. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The complete cut including the 2 part intros narrated by James Mason for the original tv broadcasts are included on an otherwise no frills DVD release from about a decade ago.

20. The Day Of The Jackal - it's up on Blu-Ray.com, but still no release date.

21. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

As much as I'd like to see it, too, I suspect it would be to the further detriment (i.e., even more fake looking) of the god-awful model ships.

John K.

22. Yeah I have this but prior to broadcast there was a prolog that was cut with the cast playing Byron and Mary Shelley,eye much how they did in BoF as I recall,

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Such an underrated gem of a film. So much more than what it appears to be on the surface. While proud to at least have the DVD, I'd love to see this undergo any restoration needed, in gorgeous 1080p.

24. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

Hammer's Dracula from 1958 Released in Great Critain on blu ray, there was quite a dicussion over color timming and luminance levels. Also, there's an important scene missing in the restored ending......Dracula shedding a tear of all things, very quick, but vital. Maybe Warner's could spruce it up a little for U.S. release. There was even a petition to get this released here. No word.... As for Curse of Frankenstein, the blu ray was a disaster and it would take more cash than Warners would be willing to spend to get that one up to snuff....shame...It's such an important one in the Hammer Canon....but Dracula (AKA Horror of Dracula), now that's the big one!!!!!

25. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Star Wars (untouched).

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.