Still Shopping At The Buy More? "Chuck" Five Years Down The Road

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie Thread Starter

All previous Chuck threads have been padlocked, so I thought I'd start a new one now that I've finally started a rewatch. For months, my DVDs have been begging to be played (haha), but there's always something else to watch.

I can't believe it's been five years (January 27, 2012) since the series finale. Until this week, I probably hadn't seen the show in two or three years. I've watched the first three episodes so far, and it's still as good as ever. Anyone else still a fan? I assume it's on Netflix and Amazon Video, though I haven't checked.

Every once in a while, I'll read Zach or Yvonne mentioning how they'd be up for a Chuck movie (schedules permitting and all that), so you never know...

2. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

At the time, I thought the first 2 seasons were brilliant, then the show started suffering in quality thanks to budget cuts and loss of writers. Special effects were really dodgy in the 4th and 5th seasons, but that really doesn't matter. Would be worth re-watching someday to see if my opinion changes or not.

PhantomStranger and Planbee like this.
  3. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Wasn't everyone in the cast a spy by the end of the run?

Probably the least plausible aspect of the show after all these years is all the customers actually *in* the big box store, and how it seems to have a cd and movie section.

Planbee likes this.
  4. Planbee

My intent is to get through all five seasons, but like with a lot of other rewatches my enthusiasm might fade after awhile. The fun first two seasons should be a breeze, while the "Chuck is a spy" era might be a bit of a struggle. We'll see how far I get...

And I think only Morgan was a spy at the end (talk about implausible!). I don't think Ellie and Captain Awesome were, though they eventually found out about Chuck and IIRC were involved in things somehow. Looks like I really need to watch the entire series again. :laugh:

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  5. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

Loved those first two seasons. FUN SHOW! And then Chuck went Matrix on us.

Planbee likes this.
  6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Loved it all until the creators took a dump on five years of awesome with the finale.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really only enjoy the first three seasons. I never bought the blu-rays for anything beyond that. The first two seasons and maybe half of three are outstanding, though. I miss how much I loved that show.

Planbee likes this.
  8. Planbee

I'm sure I've said this in one of the locked Chuck threads (but if people never repeated themselves here, this forum would shrivel away and die--haha), but I wonder how things would've played out had the show not always been on the brink of cancellation. I seem to recall interviews with the creators saying they always planned for Chuck to become a spy, but maybe we'd have gotten a little more of the S1/S2-type stuff had they not felt rushed.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Also loved the first 2 seasons.

Planbee likes this.
  10. Planbee

Just finished the 13-episode first season. Great stuff all the way through. Aces, Charles...

I really liked Rachel Bilson as the deli owner who dated Chuck for a bit until he screwed things up. Wish she would've stuck around for a couple more episodes.

Seems like everyone's a fan of the first two seasons. Once I get to the third season, anyone care to start re-watching along with me to see if the last two or three years are better than you thought at the time? I briefly looked at the old threads for the fourth and fifth seasons, and it seemed as if I liked the show just fine. Shaw must've been in S3 because I'm pretty sure I didn't care for him.

Anyway, speaking of Rachel Bilson in Chuck...

[​IMG]

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Anna Wu was always my favorite Buy More denizen.

[​IMG]

Planbee likes this.
  12. Planbee

I've gotten through the first ten episodes of the third season. I really like things so far, and judging by my posts in the old S3 thread I had no issues with the season to date back then, either. So, I have no idea why it's taken me this long to do a rewatch of post-S2 Chuck. Yeah, the new Chuck is more of a badass, but for the Intersect 2.0 to work he has to be unemotional, and that's not easy for him. Hence, a lot of opportunities for things to not go perfectly.

The S3 DVD came out in September 2010, so around then was probably the last time I've seen these episodes (6 1/2 years!). I only remember the big plotlines and guest stars, so a lot of the actual show (individual scenes, one-off guests, etc.) are almost brand new to me. Which is cool because there aren't many (any?) shows like Chuck around these days.

They must not have been banking on a fourth season because there's a lot of backstory reveals in S3: Sarah's real first name, Casey's real name, and the introduction of his family. Plus, Morgan finds out the truth about Chuck, Sarah, and Casey. If you haven't seen the show in awhile either, I highly recommend another look. Stuff like the lousier special effects and the series ending (if you didn't like it) won't change, but you might find that things which bothered you during the initial run really shouldn't have.

If you need some incentive to watch S3:

[​IMG]

13. Planbee

Or this:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.