Sting "57th & 9th" - New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

In my opinion, "Ten Summoner's Tales" (actually eleven), was Sting's best solo album and while there are certainly some equally great moments in his earlier solo albums, this one just holds together and flows very nicely from beginning to end. As for anything "after" Ten Summoner's Tales, I believe that Sting lost track of himself and none of us have missed much, as believe me, I've heard all of it, lutes, ships and all!

2. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

He had me at Vinnie Colaiuta on drums... :D
    I'm looking forward to his return to rock. It's been a while..

3. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Just saw him sing with the band 'Last Bandaleros' on Kimmel. They did a rockin, tex-mex rendition of 'Next to You'. Hopefully the new album rocks as well!

aussievinyl and JasonA like this.
  4. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Me either! Vinnie & Dominic will probably have quite some impact of the production- looks very promising to me...!

danielbravo likes this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I read the title as 57th year, ninth solo album. You can just about make it his ninth solo studio album, but he's 64, so what could have been quite a clever album title ... isn't.

Anyway - regardless of the title - another album from Sting is good news.

p.s. I hope people aren't regarding Songs From The Labyrinth as some sort of joke album now because I thought it was a very honourable effort.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

finally.................

7. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Yeah, I like this a lot

dgstrat, agentalbert and CowboyBob like this.
  8. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen the release date as 11/11/16, but that is unconfirmed.

deany76, JLPMacca and JeffMo like this.
  9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Hey if the guy wants more than one Castle who's to stop him :)

10. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Tales is his best solo album for exactly the reason you describe. But for me, his creativity really took a sh*& with "Sacred Love". Even "Brand New Day" had some good songs on it even if I didn't care for the production. Everything from "Sacred Love" on has been the work of someone who lost his mind.

Nice to see Sting back with Vinnie and David (the latter on the recent tour). Those guys were a good match for him.

driverdrummer and Comet01 like this.
  11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Whom buys an album based in the title?

RobCos02330 likes this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well said. Dominic, too. That band of the early 1990's was great. Ten Summoners Tales is great.

Chris C, mr.dave and Szeppelin75 like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the thing about sting is that his lyrics were so well written, obviously a result of his education background. he even got away form those when he got into becoming a non-rock star.

did 'the last ship' ever go anywhere or do anything?

14. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

it's been awhile since he sang with any exertion.

15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The first (and last) Sting album I ever bought. The only decent song was the Hendrix cover. I hope this new one is better than that.

16. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I'd like to see him do a full Jazz record, kind of like Bring on the Night part 2. If I want to hear Sting rock, I'll play the Police....

danielbravo and Szeppelin75 like this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:yikes:

have you really listened to 'nothing like the sun'?

it's just about a perfect album, and lyrically it is remarkable.

18. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I'm not expecting much, but the presence of Vinnie Colaiuta is at least a positive sign.

Is he playing bass on this record?

mr.dave likes this.
  19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

There are some inspired moments on his first four solo-albums; even with The Other two he didn't always 'rock'.

Quite often, I think. Have you heard the new Paul Simon (even quite a bit older!)? From his generation guys like Joe Jackson are still going strong. Maybe it will inspire Peter Gabriel to work on an album....

20. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

The last ship sank..... like a stone.

21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm certainly curious what he'll turn out in a "rock" idiom. Expectations managed knowing that what Sting considers "rock" isn't exactly the Sex Pistols...

I also rather liked The Last Ship and was a bit surprised by how much ire it raised. Not sure how great it would have been as a stage production, but I enjoyed the songs as character studies and thought it was some excellent material.

For my part, the off-putting bit is more his political leanings. Him and Roger Waters, et al kind of make me clench a bit when yet another rich rock star decides to offer the sermon on the mount - you know, because getting paid silly amounts of cash to play music gives them some blinding insights on how we unwashed peasants should be prioritizing and interpreting the issues... That does get a little old for me, much as they are entitled to their viewpoints. I'd probably find it easier to take if they had the angle of, "From my perspective..." or "From my reading of the information I have..." instead of, "I know and I can't believe there aren't more people awakened to the light of truth as I am."

It's entirely possible that his politics will be approached in a musical context in a way I can take, but if anything sinks this album for me, it'll be a heavy lyrical hand. I'll take up listening to Christian rock if I want to be preached at in an artless fashion. :p

22. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

Now this sounds like an album I will definitely listen to free excerpts of, and then at some point decide not to buy.

Max Florian and Szeppelin75 like this.
  23. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

My hopes are up

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Edwin, I recently went on a vacation to Florida with some family members and my cousin had a few songs in his phone, from the "Brand New Day" album, which caught my ear, so just yesterday (thanks to this thread), I dug up the CD of "Brand New Day" and the SACD of "Sacred Love", just to revisit them and hear if I was missing anything. I truly believe that with Vinnie and David in the band, Sting was as inspired, as he was back in the days of The Police and maybe even more so, to be honest.

The last thing that Sting did that knocked me out, was his cover of "The Windmills Of My Mind", from the remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair"

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    jamesc likes this.
  25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.