Sting "57th & 9th" - New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Yes!

bartels76, No Bull and Beamish13 like this.
  2. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Well, basically I expected that at some point, Sting finished announcing a new album with a different orientation to their latest works. From the album "Songs From The Labyrinth" To date I lost interest in his music ... now I do not feel so hopeful.

Hopefully I can feel amazed again with this new album.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought it was interesting that Sting was touring with Paul Simon not long after The Last Ship came out, and that project followed almost exactly the path that Paul's Capeman musical took -- he spent years working on it, not releasing any other new music... then he released an album of his own performances of the songs, which his fanbase largely rejected.... then the show premiered on Broadway and failed because it was too downbeat and introspective, even though the music was praised (a difference being that Sting eventually stepped in to perform in the show).

Beamish13 likes this.
  4. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I think Sting was smart enough to not personally invest in his Broadway debacle, no?

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Yes, but is Sting truly happy?

Max Florian likes this.
  6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The music sounds promising and I'm very happy to see that (at least for Sting), that Universal is keeping the "A&M" moniker alive.

Yovra and JLPMacca like this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Only one decent song on Nothing Like The Sun?! I don't agree with that.

Max Florian, Carlox and JeffMo like this.
  8. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

That video confirms he is playing bass, which is a great sign, IMHO.

9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I think the song The Last Ship and Practical Arrangement rank among his best work.

10. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I think many were quick to dismiss The Last Ship because of its theatrical nature. I'll admit, I was initially taken aback by his singing with that particular accent. On further listens, the songcraft came to the fore, and the 2 songs you mentioned are definite highlights. I don't consider it a favorite, but it's far from terrible. Similarly, Sacred Love has a few keepers too (Inside, This War, The Book of My Life).

RubenH and Johan1880 like this.
  11. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Just a week ago I watched the whole The Last Ship preview show that is out on dvd and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually never understood why he was aiming this for Broadway where the subject matter and setting is so much steeped in British lore. If he had presented it as a play with an all UK cast (in fact: a lot of the players on that preview show were all British) in an iconic location in the UK and worked with a UK director to give it a bit more of an edgy touch it would have done much better than it did. I heard some of the Broadway versions of the songs of The Last Ship and they lost a lot of its original character, sounding almost sanitized.

12. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I still hope they put out a CD of his jazz stuff he did on movies etc.
    there is an out of print CD that has a few of those tracks.

13. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

ranasakawa likes this.
  14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Something like this?

No, I'm pretty sure Vinnie will be playing drums as usual! :winkgrin:

ARK and signothetimes53 like this.
  15. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

Nooo, he looks miserable and completely dissatisfied with his life. I think what bothers him the most is that he is not getting the love of this forum.

16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The last album I was able to tolerate was Brand New Day. I hope he can pull a great album out of this direction. Maybe I'll actually buy an album of his since Sacred Love!

17. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I meant is Sting going to be playing bass.

18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Sting is playing violin and flute.

19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

That must be "lute", surely!

J_D__ likes this.
  20. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

The Last Ship is the best thing´s he´s done since 1993. But of course those waltzes and ballads cannot reach a wide audience

Johan1880 likes this.
  21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

To Be released in November what I read on wiki and sting.com
    He said it's going to a rock & roll record .?
    We shall see I hope he can move past last ship..

22. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

57th & 9th Album Now Available for Pre-Order; Tracklisting Revealed »

[​IMG]

STING’S NEW ALBUM, 57TH & 9TH, TO BE RELEASED NOVEMBER 11 ON A&M/INTERSCOPE RECORDS

Album Now Available for Pre-Order; Tracklisting Revealed
    First Single, “I Can’t Stop Thinking About You” Out Now at all Digital Outlets

A&M/Interscope Records announces the release of Sting’s new album, 57th & 9th, his first rock/pop project in over a decade, on November 11.

Now available for pre-order, 57th & 9th represents a wide range of Sting’s musical and songwriting styles, from the ferocious, Road Warrior-style imagery of “Petrol Head,” to the anthemic, “50,000” and the raucous, guitar-driven first single, “I Can’t Stop Thinking About You.” The album was recorded with Sting’s long-time collaborators Dominic Miller (guitar) and Vinnie Colaiuta (drums) and includes contributions from drummer Josh Freese (Nine Inch Nails, Guns n’ Roses), guitarist Lyle Workman and the San Antonio-based Tex-Mex band The Last Bandoleros. Riding a wave of inspiration, 57th & 9th came together impulsively, with sessions completed in just a few weeks.

“It happened very quickly, very spontaneously,” he says. “My idea always is to surprise myself and the people I'm working with—and, hopefully, the listeners.”

Earlier today, he debuted “I Can’t Stop Thinking About You” with a world premiere performance on the Kevin & Bean show at KROQ, LA’s premiere alternative rock station. The single is available now at all digital retailers.

The album, produced by Martin Kierszenbaum, takes its title from the Manhattan street corner that Sting crossed each day as he walked to the studios in Hell’s Kitchen where the recordings were done. Sting notes that if there’s a theme in the lyrics of 57th & 9th, it’s the idea of travel and motion, most apparent in the autobiographical “Heading South On The Great North Road” and in “Inshallah,” a first-person account of the global refugee crisis, written from a humanitarian point of view.

“It’s about searching and traveling, the road, that pull of the unknown.” he says. “On this album, we ended up with something that’s energetic and noisy, but also thoughtful.”

57th & 9th ALBUM TRACKLISTING:

Standard:
    I Can’t Stop Thinking About You
    Down, Down, Down
    One Fine Day
    Pretty Young Soldier
    Petrol Head
    Heading South On The Great North Road
    If You Can’t Love Me
    Inshallah
    The Empty Chair
    *Also available in 180 Gram Vinyl

Deluxe:
    Includes liner notes penned by Sting + 3 bonus tracks:
    I Can't Stop Thinking About You (LA Version)
    Inshallah (Berlin Sessions Version)
    Next To You with The Last Bandoleros (Live at Rockwood Music Hall)

Super Deluxe (Physical Only):
    • Includes 3 bonus tracks (I Can't Stop Thinking About You (LA Version), Inshallah (Berlin Sessions Version) & Next To You with The Last Bandoleros (Live at Rockwood Music Hall)
    • Liner notes penned by Sting
    • DVD featuring an exclusive interview with Sting
    • Live performance of Next To You with The Last Bandoleros (Live at Rockwood Music Hall)
    • Collectible Photographs

Yovra, JeffMo, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  23. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

24. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

GREAT NEWS! I've been hoping Sting would return to the rock scene. I couldn't stomach The Last Ship.

25. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Sting performing the new song live:

RubenH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.