Rolling Stones At Altamont thoughts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shem the Penman, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Reading the No Simple Highway book about the Dead & Jerry's comments about Altamont: "It was like Dante's Inferno. It was spreading out in concentric waves." Two things: 1) I don't think the Gimme Shelter doc or any film could capture the vibes of that scene and the crowd and 2) might seem like a counterargument but still relevant: the drugs contribute to the "vibes" thing with heightened senses and paranoia.

Nonetheless: what a brave performance the good old Stones gave up there. Had to have been scared as hell, clearly stoned, but there was this belief that rock & roll would save the day. Such a small stage - could people have even seen or heard much from way back? The film is great for the way you see the girls stepping over their boyfriends to get to Mick, the crazy naked lady, and then there's the guy who sees the fighting and looks at Mick like "Why?" But we're getting such a small window of what it was like to be there that night and more importantly on that stage at the center of it. They tried their best up there. God bless the Stones.

2. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

i always thought the guy(s) going "why?" was because of the band insistently making their way through "Sympathy For The Devil," which was probably the absolute worst song they could have been playing at that moment.

Mick Jagger doing his hip-swiveling caped frontman routine does look really stupid considering what's going on right in front of him. i don't think the Stones come out of that looking good at all.

3. botley

botley Forum Resident

I guess a more intelligent, graceful, statesmanlike approach would have been to throw all their prepared material out the window and play some "cool-out" slow jams...?

mikee, Sean, Coricama and 2 others like this.
  4. First off - I actually think the Maysles did a great job editing the film to create a palpable sense of dread that effectively built up to the climatic stabbing incident. Second - I agree that the Stone's performance had a certain edge that for me makes it much more interesting than the MSG footage also included in the film.

Finally, one must remember that it was really only the people who were closest to the stage that really experienced the "bad vibes" of Altamont - most who were further back had no idea what was going on and really weren't effected.

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

My thoughts have been that if you want to watch the documentary, watch it once. After I saw it the first time, I felt "dirty." It shows the worst that can happen during a concert/festival.

6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Jagger was so full of himself he insisted that they wait till dark because he would appear better in the stage lights. This while an impatient crowd and unruly security were coming to a head.

Jagger wasn't brave. He was full of himself, his star power.
    Primping it out onstage. And his too cool pleas for everyone to cool it - "Brothers and sisters, why are we fighting?"..

The image of the Angel standing 5 feet to his right with total contempt for Mick says it all.
    He clenches his fists and it looks like he could explode any second

Richards actually is the courageous one who points right at the offending Hell's Angels and says a defying "you cats chill out"

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think the vibe of Altamont was communicated perfectly in the film. I find all the Altamont footage chilling. Even if there hadn't been drugs, the fact that seemingly anyone in the audience could have been beaten with pool cues at any moment would have created enough paranoia for anyone.

The Stones couldn't have done anything to cool down the situation. If they had not played their prepared set, it would have been a riot, and if they had refused to play, it would have been pandemonium.

8. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Wasn't there a lengthy delay between the previous band & the Stones?
    Something about the Stones not wanting to go on before it got dark?

john lennonist likes this.
  9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Both Jagger and Richards were unable to control the chaos. Jagger in particular tries to continue his dancing around the stage but comes off looking foolish. The "brothers and sisters" rap fell on deaf ears as well.

Richards threatens to stop playing if the crowds don't settle down, but he has about as much impact as Mick.

They were out of their league and over their heads. Maybe if they had the Outlaws to face off against the Angels it would have made a difference.;)

Meyer, john lennonist, junk and 3 others like this.
  10. overdrivethree

i don't know what they should have done. personally, i've always regarded it as a perfect storm situation - bad drugs, Hells Angels vs. attendees, the Stones giving off a particularly decadent/sinister aura, the Dead high-tailing it once they heard about the fighting. everyone who played a part in the proceedings seemed to get it totally wrong.

Sean, Meyer, Dave Hoos and 2 others like this.
  11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Yes, as I stated above - a long delay so Jagger could come out looking fabulous under the spotlights

The Grateful Dead wisely decided not to perform. So there was an even longer wait. The Stones could have came on much earlier in the daylight - avoiding the long wait - and perhaps lowering the tension

12. Shem the Penman

I actually really prefer to watch the MSG stuff, there's some great concert footage in the film not to mention the "Wild Horses" playback with Charlie's expression :cool:when the drums kick in. I'm sure there was some creative editing but the other bands felt the bad energy, poor Marty Balin really felt it. So who knew what was gonna happen up there?

Also: you can maybe blame the boys for some for their audacity at the whole concert but they did step up and try to save it as best they could. "Yeah and you thought I was reckless..."

hi_watt likes this.
  13. old school

old school Senior Member

Why would the Stones hire the Hells Angels in the first place? The Grateful Dead knew better to play. It was the Stones fault hiring the Angels and all that beer what do you think is going to happen.

14. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

In that case they're hardly heroes.

15. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I thought the Stones, rock music and the entire counterculture looked weak. The entire scene only worked if the straight, middle class society was in charge.

Once all thoses negative forces came together; drugs, nihilism...murder wasn't far off. And the Stones failed to provide any real leadership that may have prevented the tragedy.

Sorry. I like the Stones and rock music.

dougb222, Rhett, starduster and 5 others like this.
  16. overdrivethree

i thought the Hells Angels were hired by the Stones at the Dead's recommendation. correct me if i'm wrong on that.

telepicker97, Emmett66, Sean and 4 others like this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

There were no heroes at Altamont.

18. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Why? Because, in truth, they really did not give a s###. Security for the audience? Who cares! Let's get the Hells Angels. A sad indictment on them.

Tullman, Rhett, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  19. Shem the Penman

You know what's funny - I almost get that vibe from Jerry & the guys when they step off the helicopter. They're thinking like, "Aren't there some adults around to take charge of this thing?"

Can't blame the Dead for not playing, if "Sympathy" didn't get over the Angels I can't imagine "The Other One" faring much better.

john lennonist, junk and ShawnX like this.
  20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Dead had probably given the Angels pot versus alcohol. :D

MonkeyMan likes this.
  21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Why don't you guys do some research? Even in the film it's clear The Stones aren't making any of the decisions about the free concert. It was the Grateful Dead that recommended using the Hells Angels as security - they vouched for them, having used them in the past. As for Mick waiting 'till dark to go on - they were the headliners, and they'd played their shows under lights for the whole US tour. No surprise, or unusual at all to wait for dark. I don't think they were completely aware of the situation during the day - holed up in their trailer getting high. They walked out into an uncontrollable situation, totally unprepared. Should they have been more involved in their own free concert? Absolutely. But such were the times, man. It'll all be groovy was the code of the times. And to be fair, up until then it had been.

22. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Oh, and there we were all in one place
    A generation lost in space
    With no time left to start again
    So come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be quick
    Jack Flash sat on a candlestick
    'Cause fire is the devil's only friend

Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
    My hands were clenched in fists of rage
    No angel born in Hell
    Could break that Satan's spell

And as the flames climbed high into the night
    To light the sacrificial rite
    I saw Satan laughing with delight
    The day the music died

https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima...mcsu4u&.crumb=HgAoG05QVOC&fr=ipad&fr2=piv-web

[​IMG]

23. old school

old school Senior Member

Wrong! The Hells Angels were hired by the Stones and the Stones management. For $500 dollars of beer.

alchemy likes this.
  24. overdrivethree

well yeah, the Stones definitely hired them. but i thought it was along the lines of "oh yeah the Angels have done security for the Dead, you can totally count on them."

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

It was the Stones responsibility. Not the GD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.