Stones SACDs in Canada - October 1st!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Yes, fellow Cannuks - only a few short weeks away! Finally!

Should be available in local CD stores. The cost (not officially released yet) should be about $22.00 each. This is a guess...

Pricy? Check out HMV at $35.99 each :sigh: . They are imports from the USA which is supposedly why they cost so much. Boston S/T, both SRV's, a few classical titles are all that I've seen here.

I know lots of us have bought online from the USA but I have postal delivery problems and refuse to loose any more CDs this year. :realmad:

Now what we really need is a Canadian distributor of Steve Hoffman mastered albums, CDs, SACDs, etc.

2. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Where did you hear this? Nobody around here (in retail) has heard a thing.

3. Gary

The guy at my local retailer got an email from the distributor. They are ordering their product now. It is coming out on the same day as 40 licks.

Some are reserved for me!

Still no suggested retail list price...

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I still can't fine TSMR for a decent price locally! WAAAA!

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Can't you order them from the U.S. ...cheaper?

6. Gary

R&R has 'em for $12.99. That's about $20.00 CAD. Plus shipping.

So it's about the same unless our cost goes thru the roof.

And I have postal delivery problems....

Besides, I'm going to Buffalo in 2 days! I wonder what media play sells them for? :D

Anyone know of a Best Buy in the Buffalo area? :cool:

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Thanks Gary. Speaking of the Sony SACD's, have you checked Future Shop website, do a keyword seach with SACD in "Music" category and they are all listed there for $25.99.

8. theferginator

theferginator New Member

CD Buying

Americans buying CD's in Canada and Canadians buying CD's in America- why don't we just ship each other CD's- would make it easier.
    Ferg

9. Gary

SACDs at Future Shop!?! Well I'll be a .... nevermind. Nothing about the Stones discs that I can see, though.

I wonder if I can order through a store? I hate to pay for shipping when I can drive to one in 2 minutes! :sigh:

Thank you Beagle!

You know, I wonder if I can order Steve's SACDs through Futureshop? Or Best Buy when they arrive!

Ferg, the grass is always greener on the other side of the border ;) !

10. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Gary, good luck finding any decent titles here in the states! Until the next wave comes, it's looking pretty dry from my vantage point. Only Hot Rocks and Let It Bleed seem to be readily available.

Media Play used to be cheap, but the one that's 1/4 mile from me jacked up its prices about 2 years ago. Maybe a 25% increase. Budget CDs sell around $11 - $12 and new releases are around $16-$18. Ouch!! Best Buy is probably a little cheaper on the Stones, I think $13 a disc.

11. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I've bought a couple from a FS store. I'm sure they can special order them. I'm gonna find out. My teenage son just got a job at FS so maybe I'll be able to get 'em real cheap!!

12. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Just my two bits .... ordered the bunch from J&R and CD Universe. Total, including shipping worked out to just under $20 CDN per disc (no taxes or customs charges) (I've received them all as well). I saw some suckers at HMV (downtown Toronto) buying them for 30.99 + taxes yesterday. Hopefully, the retail will be about $22.

Future Shop don't carry too many (if any) SACD's in store. Most of their web titles show "out of stock". There's a Best Buy in Mississauga - I'm hoping they end up replacing all of the Future Shops (since they own FS).

There is a Best Buy in Buffalo (Amherst, I think). Check their web-site.

Cliff - Toronto

13. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Stones SACDs In Canada

You were right on with the $22.00 (Canadian) price. HMV has them listed for $21.99. Personally, I still find that a little pricey for reissues with no bonus tracks. I mean, the reissues by Aerosmith and The Eagles sell for as little as ten dollars a piece.

I know these are hybrid disks, but unless the people behind SACD do a better job of promoting this format, it's going nowhere. Remember quadrophonic sound? Or Laser Disks? Or Betamax? I've asked several stereo sales people about SACD and most had little or no idea what I was talking about.

I've read a lot of conflicting opinions about the sound of these disks. Fortunately, I'll be able to get a good sampling from disk one of Forty Licks.

Anyway, once they're out, I'll have a much easier time finding the London CDs, which a lot of people will trade in for the new and improved CDs.

14. PapaJay

PapaJay New Member

Any of you guys who are close to London and want to make a Sunday road trip, some time, over to Port Huron and Detroit, let me know. The Borders in Novi had all the Stones titles a few weeks ago. They were very good cost wise, because I had a 20% off coupon. Also a Best Buy in Port Huron with some of the titles. I like to hit a couple of independant stores in Roseville on my trips over, Record Time and Melodies and Memories. I've gotten to the point that I don't even bother with Canadian stores, unless it's a new release. Even then I get screwed, a supposedly HDCD encoded Dixie Chicks Home wasn't encoded.

Having a Wild Weekend,

PapaJay

15. Gary

Well I'm back from "shuffling off to Buffalo". Disappointing trip, SACD wise.

I picked up Santana Abraxus for $16.99 and Rolling Stones, Thru the Past Darkly Vol. 2 (the only one Best Buy had) for $14.99. All US funds.

Yea, not exactly a bargoon but I had to buy "something!"!!!!

Media Play has a LOT of SACDs is stock - more than Best Buy did! All are $17.99 and up. They had to have had about 50 titles! In Canada, the most I've ever seen at HMV was 10.

Oh well, hurry up Octover 1!

16. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

The way this month is speeding by, it won't be long, Gary!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.