Stones "Satisfaction" awful wide stereo mix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Sep 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had never heard this until today on the radio. It is a W I D E stereo mix that I can't get my head around. The great guitar riff is neutered. Acoustic guitar and piano are way upfront, as is the bass. IMO all the urgency of that great riff is gone in this version. It really surprised me as I am used to the mono mix or the old 80's CD stereo mix. I'm wondering what release this was. It was on sirius XM deep tracks (they are currently playing all Stones this week in honor of Charlie)

geo50000, bluemooze, supermd and 2 others like this.
  2. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

It’s from the London “Hot Rocks” and I love this version!

darbelob, RickH, mbrownp1 and 24 others like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree…it’s very cool to hear for the first time but all the aural urgency is drained from the song. I feel the same way about the true stereo mixes of Mothers Little Helper and Get Off Of My Cloud.

4. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

My favorite mix as well.

We're outnumbered---really outnumbered---by those who prefer the mono mix.

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Totally agree, and to a lesser extent, the same goes for “Paint It Black.” That mono mix gets the drums right where they need to be, especially the beginning of the song.

Sean, john lennonist, 2141 and 2 others like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I LOVE THIS version! lots of fun...The acoustic guitar! grew up with the mono single....nice to hear an alternate and in wide stereo! cool...gonna go play it!

7. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Count me as a fan of this mix and the prominent acoustic guitar.

8. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

That version is so different it gives a whole other perspective to the song.
    I love it.
    But I prefer the Mono mix.

Jarleboy, Exotiki, 2141 and 4 others like this.
  9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Well said, I agree completely. It is a very fun different alternative listen but the mono just has the power to it that makes it my favorite

forthlin, supermd, The Beave and 2 others like this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The stereo mixes have a cleaner sound than their mono counterparts…and usually I’m all for the cleaner sounding version.. but not in this case. Agree on Paint It Black as well. Those opening drums need to be front, center and pounding in your face as opposed to pushed over to the left side of the room,

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great, fun alternate but not the definitive.:rolleyes:

Adam9, forthlin, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  12. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

It would be hard to mess up the drums on that one.

WHMusical and DK Pete like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

of course not...it's a rich dessert...

DK Pete and supermd like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hey, he loves WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! ;)

RickH, forthlin, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  15. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

There are two vintage stereo mixes of Satisfaction and the bootlegged mix is overall better. It can be heard in perfect quality on the recent “Stereo Masters” bootleg along with the Hot Rocks mix and other rare mixes commonly circulating in poor quality.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I like the wide stereo mixes of the early Stones tracks, particularly the way you can hear the rhythm guitar parts.

17. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Paging Lukpac

18. tages

tages Senior Member

I was blown away when I first heard this mix and I still LOVE it! Never realised there was piano in this track before.

19. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

If you listen to only the right channel, it sounds like a folk song.

20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Except for the Chess sessions, I'm all Mono for The Stones until "Aftermath"

I have a 7" 45 (Mono of course) of "Paint it Black" -- possibly my fave Stones song -- that blew me away. :yikes:

I can't believe anyone on earth would prefer the Stereo mix to that!

21. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

One reason I like the mono so much, aside from it being way more powerful, is this is the way people first heard the song pumping out of AM radio back in the 60s. This is the way many people first discovered The Rolling Stones! It was raw, powerful and punchy. The stereo version loses some of that raw lust that made the Stones so appealing to begin with. For that reason it's not definitive for me, but still good as an alternate.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, the alternate mix is much better than the one on the London Hot Rocks 1 CD.

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [alternate stereo mix]

Same with Get Off Of My Cloud.

Jon H., Muggles, Stones Blah and 3 others like this.
  23. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Well the mono mix is what we all know so well.

But I do like the wide stereo mix from the London Hot Rocks (MFSL sourced? Only the Russian Mafia knows for sure). In particular I like hearing the acoustic guitar which is fairly buried in the other officially released mixes.

The mild stereo mix on the SACD Hot Rocks and offshoots is pretty good overall but then again the acoustic guitar is not particularly audible.

The alternate stereo mix posted by Lukpac does not sound all that different from the SACD mix.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The SACD mix has the vocals and backing centered, with the acoustic guitar/piano track split left and right (and very low in level). The alternate stereo mix from boot has the same panning as the Hot Rocks 1 mix.

25. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

I have this Cd with this version of "Satisfaction." And I Can't Get No... Information...

Any idea which it is and where it sits in the S-T-E-R-E-O "Satisfaction" realm of things?
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.