Stones Singles Collection which tracks are Stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by floyd, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

I keep hearing said that the Stones Singles Collection will "mostly" be made up of mono mixes.

Does anyone have the scoop on what will be in Stereo in this collection?

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Floyd,

There was a track listing (M/S) in one of the recent Stones threads. I cannot recall which thread, however.

Bob

3. Matt

Matt New Member

I heard the Singles box set will favor the mono 45 mixes. True stereo mixes will be used for all the other SACD's, including the Big Hits and Hot Rocks compilations.

4. floyd

Thanks Bob
    I've searched though a bit now and I think I read most the threads initially I just haven't found anything specific to the Singles Collection except for the words "mostly mono" I would guess that probably everything that is on the singles collection that had a mono mix will be mono.

I did find a rundown on Stereo and Mono on the Hot Rocks collection. It is looking like to me that collection will be necessary for getting certain things in Stereo even if you get all the albums (unless you get both US and UK versions)

to be honest It really doesn't matter too much for me because I'm sure I end up with everything at some point.

5. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Well here's a simpler question: what was the first Rolling Stones single to be released in stereo?

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Did either London (US) or Decca (UK) put out any of the Stones' singles in stereo originally? Because, otherwise, everything on the new Singles Collection ought to be mono (assuming the press-release statement about using the "proper single mixes" wasn't just smoke).

7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

The first stereo Stones single was the B-side to "Street Fighting Man" (No Expectations). The next one was Brown Sugar/Bitch. The one in between (Honky Tonk Woman/You Cant Always Get What You Want - Edit, was in mono).

8. floyd

Thanks Uncle Al
    that pretty much says to me the singles collection will probably only have one stereo track, "No Expectations"

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My guess is the '70s tracks (Memo From Turner, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, I Don't Know Why, Try A Little Harder, Out Of Time, Jiving Sister Fanny, Sympathy For The Devil) will be in stereo as well.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

They licensed Brown Sugar & Wild Horses for the Singles Collection, so they could very well be stereo, too.

Regards,

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Only One????
    Uncle Al just said "Brown Sugar".

A good indication of what will be in stereo is to listen to what is currently in stereo in the CD version of the Singles Box.

Just about all these tracks on CD 3 of the singles box ARE in stereo because they were released in stereo when they first appeared as a single (I can't remember if Surprise Surprise is in stereo, but I'm sure rest of them are):

47. No Expectations (Jagger/Richards) - 4:00
    48. Surprise, Surprise (Jagger/Richards) - 2:29
    51. Memo from Turner (Jagger/Richards) - 4:06
    52. Brown Sugar (Jagger/Richards) - 3:48
    53. Wild Horses (Jagger/Richards) - 5:40
    54. I Don't Know Why AKA Don't Know Why I Love (Hardaway/Hunter/Riser/Wonder) - 3:02
    55. Try a Little Harder (Jagger/Richards) - 2:17
    56. Out of Time (Jagger/Richards) - 3:21
    57. Jiving Sister Fanny (Jagger/Richards) - 3:20
    58. Sympathy for the Devil (Jagger/Richards) - 6:24

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not really, since the current version does use some stereo versions (albeit narrowed down) in place of mono. I know Lady Jane is in stereo on the box now.

Surprise Surprise is in mono - as far as I know it was not recorded on multitrack equipment.

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Sorry, I'm not fast enough to beat lukpac at posting.

BC

14. floyd

Oh yeah I was remembering the box stopping around Honkey Tonk and forgot about the Brown Sugar and Wild Horses getting included.
    Thanks for the corrections!!!

15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Luke,
    Do you think mistakes in the CD box (like the Lady Jane you spoke about) will be fixed in the new version?
    BC

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, anything I say will just be a guess. Their PR would make you think they are indeed using the mono mixes, although I have not seen that specifically stated either way. This is what the release says:

Now, it is not clear, for example, what version of Time Is On My Side was used, since I believe both versions were released as singles at some point. Same thing for Street Fighting Man.

Speaking of Street Fighting Man, it isn't clear if the later mix is a true mono mix, or simply a fold-down of the stereo. In cases like this, would they use the original tape, or the (dubbed, folded-down, etc) tape?

17. floyd

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The very same!

19. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Thanks Luke,
    At least the PR claims previous "issues" will be fixed. That is what I wanted to know.
    BC

20. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

As far as I know, the London "Time Is On My Side" 45s, at least through the first two editions, were the "organ intro" version. (I can't speak for reissues in the 1970s and 1980s.) The "guitar intro" version was not released until 1966. The single version should be the "organ intro" version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.