Stooges - New Raw Power Vinyl - What version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spitfire, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw a new sealed 180g version of the Stooges Raw Power album in my local record store today. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is Bowie's original mix or Iggy's maximized newer mix?

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Look for a reissue whose prefix starts with KC(which the original did, by the way). That was mastered by Rob(RML in the deadwax) and sounds excellent. And it's the original mix.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. I think I need to get this.

5. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

I've been searching for this particular reissue mastered by Rob LoVerde, so far to no avail. The Sundazed reissue seems to be everywhere right now. I've found a few with the "KC" catalog prefix, but none yet that have "(C) 2006 Sony BMG" on the jacket.

If anyone can help me find the "RML" mastered Raw Power reissue, I'd be forever grateful. Please PM me. Thanks in advance.

Details: Columbia KC32111, "(C) 2006 Sony BMG" - somewhere near seam or spine

6. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

Self-serving bump

7. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Kalex - I just purchased this version recently, by accident actually...I had ordered the Sundazed version on line and they sent me the Columbia version.

It does have the catalog number KC32111, but does not have the 2006 copyright...instead on the bottom rear of the jacket it says (C) 1973 Sony BMG Entertainment, (P) 1973 Sony BMG Entertainment. Has a gold "180 Gram" sticker on the front.

I was gonna contact 'em to send it back and get the one I ordered, but after reading this thread decided to open it. Sure enough, it has the "RML" in the deadwax both sides. Haven't listened yet, but looking forward to it.

Got it from SoundStage Direct here in PA (www.soundstagedirect.com). Just a note - I've ordered things from them in the past, and service is generally great (the main reason I purchase here)...BUT -- this is the second time I've ordered something from them in which more than one vinyl version is available, and they've sent the wrong item. So if you order from them, be VERY specific as to which version you want.

While you're there, check out the early Lennon 45's if they're still available and you're into that...they must have come across some old stock or something, I was really surprised, as they look unplayed to me.

Anyway, hope this helps...

8. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

THANK YOU grouploner! Please see the PM I just sent you.

9. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Kalex,

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the sundazed version. I have 4 vinyl copies of Raw Power: UK mid 70s press, Dutch 1977, Sundazed reissue, Columbia Rob LoVerde reissue. The one I like to play is the Sundazed. The Columbia comes across a little too harsh on my system. I think all the Sundazed Stooges reissues are very good.

10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

But, have you heard the original press on Columbia? I have 2 of those. Also, there's a 180 gram that was released in '02. I have that also. Not sure who mastered either one. Both have the Bowie mix, obviously.

11. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

It's funny you say that because I just got the Sundazed Raw Power in the mail last night, although I haven't listened to it yet. I had been holding off on ordering it becasuse of a Michael Fremer review that suggested better sonics could be had for this title.

I've had the the other two Stooges LP's on Sundazed for a while. I think they both sound very good. Since I was having trouble finding Rob Loverde's reissue, I decided to give it a try.

Anyway, with grouploner's help, I just ordered the Columbia "RML". In the interest of full disclosure, I also just won a 73 UK CBS/Embassy pressing on eBay.

So I will quickly have three pressings for comparison in my system. I'd love to say I'm done, but I probably won't quit until I find a clean 73 US Columbia.

By the way, is your 77 Dutch pressing a different mix from the Bowie mix?

12. motorcitydave

How could it have a different mix? :confused:

13. motorcitydave

14. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

15. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

Dave, this thread prompted me to ask this question:

http://stoogesforum.freeforumboard.net/jesus-loves-the-stooges-f1/dutch-raw-power-vinyl-t1253.htm

It's probably just a rumor about a different mix on a Dutch pressing, which supposedly included the backing vocals on Search & Destroy. I just thought I'd ask.

That looks to be the Sundazed reissue. It's the same sticker as on the one I just received.

16. motorcitydave

I see. Well, it could be I guess. Stranger things have happened. But, who could have remixed it?

Oh. ok. Yes, that sticker was on the original '73 release. Mine is still in the shrink with the sticker.

17. motorcitydave

See above.

18. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

So far I'm liking this Sundazed reissue. It's easily preferable to my rip of the 1990 US cd.

Has anyone heard the '73 Canadian Columbia C32111 pressing of Raw Power? How does it compare to the '73 US Columbia KC32111?

19. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

The 73? cbs/embassy is the UK copy I have. - it's too thin sounding for my taste. The 77 Dutch pressing does sound a little different on Search and Destroy. I'll give it a more careful listen and try to tell if it is a remix - I doubt it - but they probably tried something different with the eq on that pressing.

20. motorcitydave

Ok, cool. Thanks for your comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.