Stooges - Raw Power: Legacy Edition w/ Original Mix!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulB, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

How does it sound?

2. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Interesting, would you mind posting the catalogue number? I would also like to know what it sounds like - is it still an ear bleeder like the CD or does the vinyl mastering tame all that horrible digital clipping? To be honest, I still won't believe it exists until I see the whites of its eyes.

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I gave this a pretty good listen in the car this afternoon. Honestly, I've never really listened much to any version of the album other than the vinyl of the Bowie mix and always dismissed it as little more than a novelty record. That being said, I really can't hear anything in this release to justify the cost - apart from people who somehow can't locate a copy of the Bowie. It's still flat as a board with no dynamics (the drums still sound like plastic bags) - and I guess that's part of the charm, but why bother dropping money on this thing? I've always thought The Stooges were colossally overrated and that Raw Power was far and away their weakest effort. While everyone maligns Iggy's mix, he at least attempted to trick some people into hearing a better record by cranking the f--k out of everything. Hearing the record in this incarnation, while useful for nostalgia's sake, reveals that there's very little physically there, and certainly not enough to warrant two more releases on top of the Legacy edition.

4. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I on the other hand think it sounds great.

5. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Hard to understand why you bothered to buy it then.

6. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Not being a Stooges fan in the first place...sounds like you wasted your money :confused:

7. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

yeah, but he got a good threadcrap out of it.

8. But he does hve a point; I mean, per the guy's avatar, the Stooges could never deliver the rock like Michael McDonald.

9. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

While clearly not a big fan, he may still be a fan. Despite popular belief, I don't believe you have to be hardcore all the way with the Stooges, in order to be a fan.

Admittedly, I'm not sure why anyone would buy a deluxe edition of an artist they're not a big fan of (unless it was to obtain better sound quality of the songs one does like).

Myself, only listen to 3 songs from the debut, 3 songs from 'Fun House', and 3 songs from 'Raw Power' (not sure why they all happen to be three). And yet, I'd still certainly call myself a fan of the group. Just more of a casual one...

10. Mike D'Aversa

:laugh:

I took that shirt as irony. While many have wide-ranging musical tastes within rock/pop (including myself, I'd like to think), I can't imagine someone being a fan of both the Stooges (provided he is a fan) and Michael McDonald...

11. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

ok, but I don't think a fan would claim to find a group "colossally overrated."

12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

to get things back on topic, to the people who are singing this Legacy Edition's praises, are you hearing a substantial improvement over the original release?

13. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

OK a fan found the "right" pressing of the embassy mix

[​IMG]

I'm still holding grounds that somehow, a substitution happened along the way, and the right version of Raw Power was shelved and replaced by the totally inferior version that is on CD today (and sounds like Dolby tapes playing without Dolby or something). OR the two versions were issued at the same time, with this one being the right mix, and the other being somehow thinkered by the US label to tone down the record violence. This needs to be seriously investigated. The current version on Legacy CD does not sound like a professionaly mastered record when compared to this.

I listened to this LP version above, and it sounds just like the cassette : full on bass, Ron & Scott Asheton comes in loud and clear and thumping, everything perfectly balanced in the mixes, loud drum and bass and guitars and voice. This is the version that should have been on CD1 of the Legacy reissue.

14. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

No offense Seventeen as I know you are knowledgable and we share taste, but don't you think James would have piped up and suggested they use the alternate reels? After all they are also the Bowie mixes. I think the opposite is the case, that the Embassy reels are alternate masterings and that the sound on the original US vinyl and the current Legacy disc 1 is what was intended. Nothing to do with what may be preferable to us.

Incidentially, if the Bowie masters were Dolby and played back without Dolby, there wouldn't be all that high end. Additionally, if the masters were not meant to use Dolby and were mastered using Dolby, the result would squash the treble. So I don't think the issue witrh the accepted Bowie mix has to do with Dolby.

Where I do agree is on the idea that the Embassy reels use the actual unused Bowie mix for Search and Destroy. All the other songs on the Legacy issue are improved to my ears in terms of the rhythm section and dynamics save Search, which sounds just like it always did.

15. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

16. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Hi seventeen,
    Would you be able to post the matrix numbers please? We really need to be able to identify this if it is a different mix. On the face of it the LP looks like the regular 1973 UK first issue.

PS, I have now seen a picture of a Netherlands 'Raw Power' pressing which has a sticker saying 'remixed by Iggy Pop', so I guess there is a vinyl version out there after all.

17. Stateless

Stateless New Member

After all of the outrage over the Iggy '97 mix, I am certain that they would only use the correct version of the Bowie '73 mix for the Legacy CD.

18. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I think they used the correct tapes but I want to hear the incorrect ones as I would be likely to prefer ones with louder bass and drums.
    (I used the word "tapes" as it may be a question of EQ for most tracks rather than mixing.)

19. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

20. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yes.

21. motorcitydave

Why would they (Sony) use the wrong mix?

22. Mike D'Aversa

I'm lucky. I only like the title track, S&D, and "Gimme Danger" from this album, so I just go with the well-mastered 2005 versions of the badly-mastered 1997 Iggy remix.

If you don't mind the minor revisionism in the mixes themselves, the actual mix is actually excellent (slays the Bowie).

It was the mastering that ruined the '97 remix, IMO, not the mix itself...

23. motorcitydave

Now, I'm really confused...2005 remaster of the '97 mix?

Exactly how many copies do we have to have of this album!

It's madness, I tell ya...:sigh:

24. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

"Matrix numbers are S 65586 A1 & S 65586 B1"
    The above is from the Stooges forum, from someone who posted a needledrop that was very quickly removed by the forum moderators.

25. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

A Million in Prizes was remastered in 2005 and contains a few songs from Raw Power as remixed by Iggy Pop. Mike was saying he was satisfied with just having those songs, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.