Stop/Start the platter when swapping records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rob9874, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been changing records as the platter spins. Is this a no-no? I just upgraded to an Acryl-It platter, and notice the record will slip a second before the platter grips it. I'm afraid I'll cause surface scratches.

sydj and Chip57 like this.
  2. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

It's a no no as far as I'm concerned, and the manual for my table says It's a no no too :)

Depending on the table I would be more concerned with messing with the motor/drive function.

3. Citroen

Citroen vinylholic

On one of my turntables manufacturer's site they even have a video demonstrating flipping over a record while its still spinning
    (from http://welltemperedlab.wordpress.com/)

On my main turntable I flip sides while its spinning, BUT only if I haven't used the screw on clamp.

I have not noticed any wear on the LP surface, or any long term effect on the motor (which of course doesn't mean it aint happening!).

Slippage damage may well depend on what sort of surface your platter surface has e.g A23 mat, I can't imagine any damage being caused.

Do you see any visible scuffing?

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Any hard surface sliding against another hard surface runs the risk of scratching them, exactly! Maybe if you apply a few drops of machine oil you'd be in business? (jk)

5. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Rega recommend you should not stop the platter. However they have a soft felt mat.

6. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

I do because , I wish to clean the side & needle of dust before I start.

Darksolstice and Ortofun like this.
  7. arar

arar Senior Member

When I bought a Rega P3-24, the dealer recommended me not to turn it of.
    Now I have Clearaudio Innovation and I never turn it off, even though there is no mat like one on Rega.
    Should I turn it off?

ncblue and Long Live Analog like this.
  8. Artyom Yakovlev

Artyom Yakovlev Active Member

I used to change records in the same way Rob9874 describes on my Rega RP3 - and I don't do it anymore. Now every time I start the motor of the TT it produces a strange squealing sound from somewhere under the platter. Luckily, the sound stops as soon as the platter has gone full speed.
    I guess this way of changing records is a no-no.

9. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I always stop the motor when I change sides. I'm a klutz and I figure it's another way I could potentially cause damage

Shawn, Laibach, Ortofun and 1 other person like this.
  10. thommo

thommo Senior Member

I always use a Michell clamp on my (also Michell) turntable, so I don't really have the option - but back when I had a Rega with felt mat, I used to let it keep turning when changing records

11. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Think about what's happening as you are lifting the spinning LP. The LP is now no longer rotating but the platter/mat is, so there is going to be friction against the underside of the LP...no mat or platter surface is totally smooth or without dust and debris. I can't for the life of me think why people would even consider doing this to their precious LPs...how hard is it to turn the table off and back on again???

12. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I start the turntable first, usually even before flipping the amp power switch. It runs until I'm finished playing records. I haven't stopped the turntable for the purpose of flipping a record in the whole time I've owned my Rega and Pro-Ject turntables. I don't doubt I could drop a record, but the turning platter has not increased that risk, as far as I can tell. I had a Music Hall with the threaded spindle and clamp. I used to stop and start that turntable. It would return to speed within about two seconds.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Long Live Analog likes this.
  13. John76

John76 Forum Resident

My turntable stops and starts in less than a second so no issue with doing that between record sides.

56GoldTop likes this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

My Rega squeals too. I wonder if I upgraded my belt if that would stop?

15. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

I own a RagP5 and never turn it off to change sides. Ditto Kuzma Stabi/Sogi S TT, just let it run.
    The third TT is Dual Golden One,which has auto sut off at end of record. So it turns itself off.
    I have never noted any scratches from lifting the LP off while the platter is spinning.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It's too hard.

Chip Z likes this.
  17. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

One thing I have noticed when I used to flip them without shuting down, si with more flexable LPs....many, the LP can bow and the spindle hole grabs the spindle, not good.

Due to that scenario I have a lovely copy of Brothers In Arms with a big scratch across one side, unplayable on that side now. Record grabs spindle and spins LP out of finger tip hold :(

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I always start/stop. More out of habit than reasoning....

19. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I have a GT delrin platter/GT weight and leave the platter spinning while flipping sides, have never experience any scratches or groove damage. When using the A23/glass platter combo I leave it spinning. No micro scratches or groove penetration. The TT has a dustcover when not spinning tunes and use a microfiber cloth to clean the delrin platter. Flip, Flop and fly....

Chip57 likes this.
  20. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Clean the rubber belt with 1 drop of mild soap mixed with 1-2dl of water and it will be gone. I assume Rega claims to not start/stop everytime since it puts more stress onto the motor. My RP8 platter weighs a lot so I imagine the little motor would get pretty tired in a few years. I have not seen nor heard any problems with my records. However as I said I use the Rega standard felt mat.

Artyom Yakovlev and aoxomoxoa like this.
  21. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

^^^This since I have a screw on clamp, so no option.

22. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Me too. Gyrodec SE and clamp always. It may be psychological but it never seems right without the clamp.

23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I like to keep it spinning. I'm afraid if I turn it off, something bad will happen to me later that day.

24. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Absolutely not! I ALWAYS stop the platter when changing LP's. Plus like others have already mentioned, I use a record clamp.

25. arar

arar Senior Member

I contacted a Clearaudio service and this is their answer:

Dear Mr. Kocijan,
    thank you for your email and your interest in our hifi components.
    We would recommend to turn the turntable off, when changing LP to save the platter und LP.

Great thread Rob.

Rich C, Rob9874 and 5-String like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.