Stop/Start the platter when swapping records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rob9874, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inperson

inperson Senior Member

With my Luxman and Rek o Kut yes, I stop them. My 3 other heavy acrylic platter turntables with outboard motors I don't.

2. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I have a agree with you on this one. Not stopping the platter to change side or records makes no sense at all!!

3. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

If Rega recommends this....it will be a frosty day in hell before I ever own one of their TT's

4. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I think he said not stopping the platter destroyed the albums.

5. Regardless of one's skills in flipping LPs, I'm curious what reasoning Rega gives in recommending to not stop the platter.

6. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

This is what it says in their manual.

"It is recommended to leave the turntable running during a record playing session. Switch on before the session and only switch off after you have finished."

Shawn likes this.
  7. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

I keep the motor running while flipping records on my RP40. It's much more convenient than turning the table off and on each time and I've never damaged a record with this method.

aoxomoxoa and inperson like this.
  8. Thanks for that. Too bad they don't say why though. It implies their turntables can't handle being turned on/off once every 15 - 20 minutes.

9. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I think it is AC motors that can't get up to steady speed quickly and it is best to leave the motor running.

10. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Rega says this in the same manual.

"Rega turntables are designed to optimise performance for music reproduction and therefore no compromises have been made to give quick start times. The normal time taken for full speed to be reached is between 2 and 5 seconds. "

http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/rp6-english-manual.pdf

11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

That's still pretty fast. I had an AC motor that would get up to speed quickly but it wouldn't become steady until several minutes, I hated it.

12. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

13. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

I never stop my Empire 598 II until I am done listening. Since 1973. Never a problem.

My Sony PS-X5 kills the audio, lifts/returns and shuts down. If it didn't turn the motor off, I wouldn't bother.

14. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Great avatar.

Rob9874 likes this.
  15. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

This why I like my SL1200MK2....it takes 7 tenths of one platter rotation to get from full stop to full rock steady speed.

56GoldTop likes this.
  16. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Great album.

17. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

This debate seems to follow a similar division to the belt-drive vs. direct-drive and idler preferences.

18. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Not only do I stop it; but, I also lower the cart to record, turn the platter by hand ever so slowly to gently to seat the stylus in the lead-in groove (no bbbbrrrrruuupppp, scratch, pop!). Then I start the platter. If I had any other drive type (thread drive, film drive, etc.) my ritual would probably be different.

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

As long as it not modern vinyl( darn small platter spindle hole diameter cut),no problems ever with my 401 flipping sides over.

Long Live Analog and BuddhaBob like this.
  20. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Never stopped the platter on (in order of ownership) the Dual, Pro-Ject or the Rega I now own. Never damaged a record.

21. Ploum

Ploum New Member

I've found this topic while searching some infos about this debat.

But a question occurs to me that no one asked: is there a risk to damage or scratch the acrylic platter itself by flipping a LP without turning the TT off?

What do you think of it?

Best!

Long Live Analog likes this.
  22. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

No damage to the acrylic or delrin platter. Lp's have no micro scratches or groove penetration. I've been spinning vinyl for 40+ years with decks that have mats, some acrylic/delrin/steel platters no problems at all...

Ploum likes this.
  23. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

If you stop your TT to change sides, two things happen. Extra where on your motor, and somewhere in the world God will kill a small animal .

24. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

I usually kept the platter spinning with my SOTA but I rarely used the reflex clamp. With my VPI Classic, I always use the screw down clamp and don't see any alternative to bringing the platter to a complete stop for every new side.

25. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

You can start unthreading the clamp while it's spinning down but I always stop, flip her over, and then resume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.