Storing vinyl... what size box!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I endorse these boxes as well - the PLASTIC version is way superior, and they are okay to break down for compactly keeping (under beds, etc.) until your next move. I've been using the same 35-40 plastic corrugated record storage boxes from Bags Unlimited for nearly 20 years (including three major moves, driving with them stacked in a moving truck for 2000 miles, and keeping them in storage for several months last year. Never had a single problem with the records throughout all these moves.

On the other hand, I went with cardboard for the CD boxes from Bags Unlimited, and they haven't lasted as well. I had to buy another 15-20 of the cardboard ones for last year's move, as quite a few cardboard ones had gotten too banged up.

EDIT: Also I should mention that all of my LPs were first placed in clear plastic outer sleeves (also from Bags Unlimited) and taped shut, before I put them in the plastic corrugated boxes. Bags Unlimited has gotten a lot of business from me over the last 20-25 years or so ... !

Craig.

Vinylfindco likes this.
  2. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

For temporary vinyl storage, I use empty beer cases :laugh: - the extra space on the side is good for outer/inner sleeves and other related vinyl storage

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

When I bought a 32" CRT HDTV from Tweeter the guy came over and lifted the entire 200+ pound box by himself. He was a freak of nature (and probably not natural).

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

When I bought a couple pick up truck loads of records from a retired dealer they were all in KERR Drug boxes, which happened to be a perfect fit. I used the same boxes to haul them to shows.

5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

These are what I have used over the past couple of moves and thought they worked very well. Not sure if I want them stored long term in them due to critters.

7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Those plastic coated ones are fantastic! I still store my 7" records in them but haven't taken the plunge for storing all of my 12" records.

8. Marlene

Marlene New Member

If you are storing it for a long term, better ask for the climate control storage. The heat and moisture can damage your vinyl collections. The climate controlled storage area keeps the temperature stable and hence alleviate the issue. Also, make sure to organize the records accordingly without causing any damage. It is said to keep the records upright and never store them in stacks. You can pack the records with plastic or bubble wraps for extra safety. And remember to keep the records away from the opening in order to avoid the dirt from getting in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.