Straight outta compton

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Criminy pete, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is anyone going to see the Straight Outta Compton movie? It has been released.

JimC likes this.
  2. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

It doesn't open till Friday, but yes. The some movie reviewers have seen it, and like it, but, that was at screenings

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    JimC likes this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It doesn't open till Friday, but never.

Huck Caton, enro99 and davmar77 like this.
  4. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Me and Compton don't mix.

Criminy pete likes this.
  5. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

6. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'll wait for the Pat Boone remake. :D

chilinvilin and audiomixer like this.
  7. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I'll wait for the DVD. But yes I'd like to see it.

Sathington Willoughby and phish like this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

I am a white kid from the suburbs of Oakland who was a big rap fan when they released their singles "8 Ball", "Dope Man" and Ice Cube wrote "Boyz N the Hood" for Eazy E. It was s underground at the time. Ice Cube had released this Beastie Boys rip-off EP with his band called CIA prior to the NWA singles, but still, this was shocking at the time and really underground. Even though Kanye and the "Bling Era" ruined rap for me, I have great memories of making sure Mom didn't hear "F - the Police". Rap has been gangster for years now, but Ice Cube (who wrote most of the rhymes for everyone except Ren) was the innovator and brave for the time. People try to give credit to others but Ice Cube, chuck D and Melle Mel were doing the real storytelling thing was before Nas or 2pac did.

Will be curious to see how authentic they get when telling the story of Jerry Heller, then manager, who apparently got the lions share of all profits, or if they were worried about a lawsuit for defamation. He is who broke up the group and anyone going to see this movie, I suggest listening to Ice Cube's song "No Vaseline" first. Best rap feud song of all time.

9. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

A bit off topic, but I find it odd how all the advertising talks about the origins of Dr. Dre, Ice Cube and Eazy-E (granted, they are the biggest "stars" from the group), but doesn't mention MC Ren or Yella - who are as vitally important to the N.W.A. story as the others.

10. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

You don't really associate Kanye West with some type of 'bling era', do you?

11. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

It a 30 second commercal, and even in the trailer, they don't stop and say "what do you think Ren". As far as the ads that go between the movie and the real people, it also as you say, "(granted, they are the biggest "stars" from the group)." That's advertisment, but in the movie, both Ren and Yella's characters story should be told.

Like if there was a movie of Aerosmith, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry would be see in the advertising. Joey Kramer's story would be in the movie. Or would it? My guess would be yes, we will see.

Grant likes this.
  12. phish

phish Jack Your Body

This. While not really being a movie guy to begin with, I'm especially not fond of movie theaters now, for several reasons.

chilinvilin likes this.
  13. Looks interesting, but I'll wait for the reviews to get some info on the tone of the film. If it looks good, maybe I'll check it out after it's been out for a couple of weeks, and then ideally at one of the VIP cinemas. Dollars to donuts this one's going to attract a lot of yahoos over the opening weekend.

14. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I know very little of rap, hip-hop, the NWA or anything of this ilk but I am genuinely interested in this so will watch it soon, but I believe it doesn't come out for a few weeks in the UK. Weirdly, the order I get, the more intrigued by this era and genre I become without ever listening to it.

MikeInFla likes this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

There's enough gang thugs in the audience alone, tankyouvetymooch.

16. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Sunday matinee - when all the yahoos are either in church or still in bed.

The previews I've seen have a cliched feel about them, but I guess all mainstream biopics have to have these in order to get the green light these days. This will be a DVD/TV movie for me.

17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I'm rather surprised to not find a thread about this. [Moderator note: Merged with existing thread in "Visual Arts" forum] Also a bit surprised the movie was so good. I'm not sure how "true to the [by now surely disputed] facts" but well done.

Don't like this kind of music? Well, you really should check out the movie; it might show you the power of how the music hit its audience and you'll understand a bit more. Even if you don't like the music it's a human interest soap opera. And jeez Ice Cube's kid really looks like him, and

See this joint in a theatre with good sound, for Heaven's sake, not some $1-plex cheap. Someplace with BASS BASS lots and lots of BASS-THX calibrated of course, not Insane Clown Posse excess.

Once again, I am amazed-or maybe not-how so very many musicians never read the contracts they sign. How is that not a staple of modern life? You see it in TV and books, what, it just never connects?

Bonus for listing out the albums Dre has spread all over his bedroom floor, like a giant flashback. Hadn't seen a Whodini or Kurtis Blow cover in eons. Also there was a James Brown title, something by Bootsy Collins, ???

Meanwhile, Eazy-E's kid is happy with the movie: http://www.inquisitr.com/2336215/st...rom-eazy-es-daughter-proud-of-dads-portrayal/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  18. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Definitely at the top of my list of movies to see currently.

Grant likes this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I definitely want to see this. don't know their music, thought I know enough about them and their story. I was in high school in an upper middle class neighborhood at the time and remember the backlash from the PMRC and scared reaction from the establishment to them, Public Enemy, later Body Count...

chilinvilin likes this.
  20. japes

japes Senior Member

Saw it last night. And as Head_Unit said the live scenes at various arenas around the country were absolutely riveting, especially in you're seeing it in a theater that can handle the bass.

I thought the story was compelling and the acting was very good, especially from Paul Giamatti and the actor that played Eazy-E.

I'm not a huge fan of Hip-Hop but the movie really showed just how innovative these songs were for their time. I've gained a whole new appreciation that I didn't have before.

This was easily one of the best music biopics I've ever seen.

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Can't wait to see if but people needs to realize there are some major things left out...most notably Dr Dre beating the crap out of a woman (Dee Barnes) for the interview she did with Cube as the group was dissolving.

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Interested to see a good review of this. Never paid any attention to N.W.A. back in the day, but I enjoy music biographies, especially if they help me understand the appeal.

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Oh, ya gotta hear their HILARIOUS rework of Suicidal Tendencies' "Institutionalized"!!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

It will definitely do that! Even for me who was there (not physically, I was in Chicago, but a buddy was into all this) when it started, and have worked in South Central for some time now, I could more viscerally understand how people went for this like crazed salmon spawning…er, or something like that.

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Oh a lot left out! Heck you could fill another 2.5 hours with Suge Knight's thuggery and trials, or I'm sure a lot more Eazy-E crazy stories. And 2Pac getting shot. But the movie was already quite long-not too long, but it shouldn't be longer. And in the end, it's just a kind of surface sketch to get the story across. Most of all it made me curious about DJ Yella and MC Ren, since you never heard as much about them even back in the day.

Also startling to realize how much impact a group with little recorded output had, and how much impact Dre had (Snoop, Eminem, 'nuff said).

Like it or not, as National Geographic said more eloquently, hip-hop has taken over the world, so it's interesting to see not the primordial atom which were their predecessors but the Big Bang that they certainly helped spark.

brettster808 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.