Straight outta compton

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Criminy pete, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have no sympathy for Warner on this one because they didn't believe in the project after they acquired New Line.

3. Grant

I think I can safely say that Koreans in Canada visiting to improve their language skills would not be interested in this movie. But, that in no way means that this movie has a narrow appeal. A good movie is a good movie.

4. Grant

Additional security is not required. In fact, having extra security is nothing but a result of fear based on prejudice, just like it is the reason record stores put hip-hop CDs in security cases and in sight of the checkout area. They do that under the assumption that only fans of that music steal, while rock fans could be stealing them blind. Recent movie theatre shooters did not kill in screenings of urban movies. This thinking that theatres need extra security for "Straight Outta Compton" is nothing but BS!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Grant likes this.
  6. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Same here. The theater security thing is getting way overblown....as things like this always do.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  7. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Myke likes this.
  8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I'll take historically inaccurate over looking like a tool:

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris and Myke like this.
  9. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Okay, lets say you are watching a movie set in 1962 and Light my Fire is playing on on juke box. Doesn't that take you out of the moment? Don't you say WTF? This is the same thing. So most people don't know its the wrong hat. Some people might not know that LMF wasn't recorded in 1962...It's very wrong to the people who do know.

EVOLVIST and Grant like this.
  10. Scott Wheeler

Who memorizes all the logos of all the sports teams by date?

11. Grant

Sports fans.

Gaslight likes this.
  12. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

Read more: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/n-w-gold-platinum-awards-130000484.html

13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The same type of people who know what pressing is of an album by either the slight differences on the cover, or the information in the deadwax. :)

Grant likes this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Pretty impressed that a movie can break box office records for August, and yet some still consider it a limited demographic.

I don't think the studio is thinking that right now...I bet there's a LOT of chatter about how to tap into this particular gold mine. Where's the PE biopic?

http://allhiphop.com/2015/08/07/ice-cube-on-public-enemy-movie/

15. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

And then you stop counting at One Million.... Then the rest of the world yawns! :shh: :agree: ;)

Edit: I apologies to all... but, in four months any of this information, will be called trivia!!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  16. Scott Wheeler

Can't say that I have ever had a movie ruined for me because they got the deadwax info on a record wrong in one scene.

17. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

I heard there'd be beefed-up security and did notice more than one security guard where I saw the movie, when usually there is only one in that theater... I think what theaters are merely thinking is that some type of violence and/or shootings could occur. Even though the movie tells of harassment etc. a whole 29 years ago, one can't but notice things haven't changed very much for the better, because of recent events of the past couple of years like in Ferguson and other places in the country. "Fear based on prejudice", yes perhaps, because they think it may add fuel to the fire of these recent events. But add the shootings that have taken place in theaters otherwise since 2012 Colorado, and the combination of these 2 reasons is not a bad reason why there is a bit more security. It is what it is. Wouldn't people rather be safe than sorry?

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Better analogy is that you buy a CD, bring it home to listen to and it sounds brickwalled. You look at the date on the CD and see that was re-released in 2007, not the late 1980's version you expected. And then start pulling out DR numbers and complain about it. Whereas most other people wouldn't have even noticed.

(Btw, I could very well be that CD person. I'm just saying that when you are really into something, music or sports, one can be very OCD about these things).

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. Scott Wheeler

well then let's hope they add more security at all future Amy Schumer movies.

Billy Infinity and Grant like this.
  20. Scott Wheeler

That's a horrible analogy. I understand that there are about 25 or 30 uber nerds that love to find small continuity mistakes and other trivial mistakes in movies and make a big deal about it on line. I don't need an analogy to understand they exist and have no impact on the film world. If that White Sox cap ruined Straight Outta Compton for anyone I have absolutely no pity for them. Well...actually maybe I do feel sorry for them. I am sure most avid sports fans had no idea the cap was off by 4 years and wouldn't have cared much anyway.

21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I never said I had no pity or felt sorry for them. But whereas I can at least understand why they are annoyed (even if I don't agree with them), you obviously do not.

Which is pretty interesting as you seem a bit annoyed, right at this moment. And you responded to my post, not the other way around. Are you normally this curmudgeony? Because you seem to be concerned about this a lot more than I am.

22. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Apparently not.

23. Scott Wheeler

Yes, it is sad that people are ignoring the intense danger they are facing in movie theaters these days. From now on I think I'll go swimming and bicycling instead.

Pete Puma and Gaslight like this.
  24. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

"Intense danger"?

25. Scott Wheeler

apparently intense enough that we need increased security at movie theaters. :rolleyes:

I'm really scared now. I had no idea what close brush with death I had when I went to see this movie. :cool:

Cheepnik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.