Straight outta compton

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Criminy pete, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I'm wondering if any of the shootings are related to this film?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Was that a musical biopic?

3. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Easy to find in Brooklyn then, I bought a couple at a street fair in that time period and they were available for almost any Negro league team then.

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I thought you said "biopic" not "musical biopic"

5. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/55/Chicago_White_Sox/

Looking at the various logos on the above link, it would seem that there was no historically accurate "retro" cap that would have been sold in 1989 that precisely matches what was once worn by the team.

But it does appear that the current White Sox cap logo is based on a logo that was used on the jersey in the late 40s thru the early 60s - so it is
    plausible that a hat might have been sold that looks a lot like the cap that was formally introduced by the team in 1991.

Consider the following:

When I purchased my ".45's" retro cap, I was very careful to pick out one that matched what I saw worn by the team in 1962 on a team photo I saw in the hallway at the stadium. My memory is that the souvenir shop was selling about 4 or 5 variations on the ".45's" that were not historically accurate. For example, the 45's gun logo found on the jersey was not found on the cap (as far as I can tell) but that didn't prevent the souvenir shop from selling a hat with that look. Most of the variations are someone's idea about a more modern look.

I do think the hat worn by "Easy-E" is plausible - and perhaps even more plausible than the red brimmed cap that the White Sox wore in that era (which is boring and doesn't seem like it would have been sought out by someone living in Los Angeles).

6. Grant

I've never seen "Braveheart", so...

7. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

The director says the Dee Barnes incident was in a early script. But, was left out of the final version

The assault charges are still mentioned in a scene with Dre and his future wife. There
    is also supposed to be another hour of footage that may be added to the film when it
    hits home video.

I agree with the criticism I have seen about the movie being shallow and not delving to deep
    into the personalities of the group. It's no shock that the one person who is shown to have
    the most flaws and a chance at redemption is the one who is no longer alive. The point in
    the film where Ice Cube is called out for his anti-Semitic lyrics is turned into a showcase
    of bravado and doubling down on the sentiments.

There is also not a lot of thought giving to why these guys were good at what they did. There
    are a few glimpse into Ice Cube's songwriting. But, Dre's talent as a producer and what makes
    him good at what he does is never investigated. The D.O.C and his car accident are used as a
    situation for Suge Knight and Dre to talk about Dre leaving Ruthless Records. Instead of being
    used as an example of another part of the group's foundation falling apart.

There are talks of creating a "movie universe" from the members of the group. Universal has
    denied that. But, if I were them and had plans to do that. I would lock in all the actors from
    this movie as soon as I can. They were great at portraying the members of the group and
    there were times I forgot I was watching actors on the screen.

Grant likes this.
  8. Grant

I'm glad to know that Dre isn't trying to hide from it.

I hope it is included to get it all out there, and to hush the critics.

Which seems consistent with the person. But, I wonder how he feels today.

9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Compton has actually made more money than Braveheart did domestically. I don't think it'll make much overseas and I doubt it reaches the $200mil mark, but if it does Braveheart's $210 mil isn't out of reach. I also think it's debatable to call Braveheart a biopic since its' accuracy is questionable; the story was inspired by various legends and imagination. Either way, it's an amazing movie and stone cold classic so you need to make time for it!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Grant likes this.
  10. Scott Wheeler

By that standard it is debatable to call any movie a biopic. William Wallace was a real person. And he really was a leader in the Scottish wars of independence. It's as much a biopic as just about any movie about a real person.

Also one has to consider inflation when comparing gross revenues of any given film.

11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Oh boy. Thanks for the warning. I know he's at least had sympathies with the NOI in the past (of note, Tupac was very adversarial with them).

Grant likes this.
  12. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Except that Dre still does his best to minimize and deny his violence towards women:
    http://gawker.com/heres-whats-missing-from-straight-outta-compton-me-and-1724735910
    He's offered different 'explanations' through the years and his recent apology seems crafted by a lawyer and quite insincere. Why is it important to hush the critics? They're offering facts and exposing a pattern of horrible behavior.

13. Grant

Consider that a pure admission would open himself up to lawsuits and possible prosecution, as he works for a major corporation (Apple), and has a contract under Universal. It is possible that lawyers had a role in this, and the scene being cut from the movie.

14. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Good points. His recent 'apology' left a whole lot to be desired IMO.

15. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

There are members of the Nation shown in that particular scene acting as Cube's security.

16. Grant

The thing about his apology is that it wasn't specific, and that's what people want to make an apology valid. Maybe he wanted to be, but his lawyers stepped in and told him not to be.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  17. Grant

I would hope that this thread doesn't turn into a bash-fest against the NOI. Many people, including myself, have no use for the NOI because of the racism and anti-Semitism, but they have done a lot of good for the urban Black communities. Note that Malcolm X separated himself from them because of the racism and anti-Semitism. The NOI also attaches themselves to certain famous people to make themselves look better.

Ice Cube may have been associated with them in the 80s and 90s, but we don't know how he feels today. They may have simply shown up without his approval because that's what they do.

Some people apparently don't like that this movie is a huge as it is, or that NWA is getting all of this attention, so they will do what they can to discredit it, and the players. Also, a lot of people seem to be able to separate or excuse someone like Eric Clapton or Ted Nugent for their views and associations, but have a problem with Ice Cube or Dr. Dre. Disclosure: I do have a problem with Clapton and Nugent, but I also have been critical of Ice Cube and other people who have expressed hostile views.

18. Scott Wheeler

Eric Clapton? I did not know he was controversial.

Very happy to see this film do so well. It's not a sequel, reboot, remake, based on a comic book, based on a TV show or any of the other formulaic kinds of movies we have to suffer through.

Grant likes this.
  19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I won't go into it here, but Google EC and Enoch Powell and it's enough to turn your stomach.

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

That he and some of the events were real are some of the very few accuracies in the film. Everything from William Wallace's background to the timeline of actual events were imagined or shifted around to trump up the drama. One can loosely qualify it as a biopic b/c it is a real person, but the story is drawn mostly from fiction. Braveheart is based on a guy where history is extremely cloudy to the point of absolutely unclear and unknown so it's hard to call it biographical. It doesn't focus on Wallace specifically or dives into his life arc, it's focus instead is on the social effect and war of the time. Braveheart is generally classified as a historical drama b/c it uses real people and events of the time but since very little else is known it's hard to call it biographical. Glory is a similar film.

Even with inflation Compton's ahead domestically. But I doubt it has a market overseas.

21. Scott Wheeler

That is impressive. Braveheart was a pretty big hit

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I could say more, but I'll leave it at this: I used to share similar sentiments until I looked closer and realized I was missing the forest for the trees. Thankfully there are people out there smarter than myself who've had them pegged from jump and left a trail for others to follow. Their inclusion here is noteworthy, but doesn't influence my desire on whether to watch this movie or not.

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I thought this would have been posted here already. Maybe it has, apologies if this is a duplicate link.

https://ca.celebrity.yahoo.com/post...ologizes-for-history-of-abuse-against?retry=1

Excerpts from the article.

Now, for the first time, Dr. Dre (real name Andre Young) is owning up to his past and apologizing: “I apologize to the women I’ve hurt,” he said in a statement....

“Twenty-five years ago I was a young man drinking too much and in over my head with no real structure in my life,” he said. “However, none of this is an excuse for what I did.”

“I’ve been married for 19 years and every day I’m working to be a better man for my family, seeking guidance along the way. I’m doing everything I can so I never resemble that man again."

Grant likes this.
  24. Grant

I'll look into it further. I did not grow up anywhere near an "urban center", so I only known what i've heard and read, and they assassinated Malcolm X. I do know that there will always be those who are biased one way or another who have an opinion.

I still want to see this movie.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  25. Grant

Discussed in post #160.

Gary likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.