Strange IPOD "ripping" issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rpd, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

I use the normal IPOD software to put music on my IPOD. I have noticed, however, that many of my CD's I put on there have skips on the first song...randomly throughout the song. I have not noticed this with any songs other than song 1 on several CD's. I know the CD's themselves are fine...they do not skip...

Any ideas on why this is happening?

2. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

3. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Either try it with the same burner and different ripping program or different burner and same program to try and diagnose the extraction problem.

4. Your thread title says "burning", but your description seems to discuss a ripping problem.

You are saying that the songs you ripped with iTunes have skips? Do they skip when played back from iTunes, or just from the iPod? Our are you talking about CD's that you make from iTunes?

If its a CD burning issue, I would say it sound more like a burner/media issue to me.

If its a ripping problem, you might try to enable error correction in the preferences/importing set-up section.

I have had a few instances of that (well, not exactly like you...my skips were random, and could effect any track), and I did two things; one turned on error correction, and two, don't do anything else on my PC when ripping. Not sure which cured the problem, but it seems to have gone away.

BGL

5. rpd

I corrected my post...it is a ripping issue, not a burning issue...thanks...

Not sure if they are on the iTunes or just on the IPOD. I will check tonight. They are for sure ont he IPOD. But only on song 1 on some of the CD's..

FYI. I never have this problem when I burn CD's...I use Media Player to burn CD's

Any idea why on song 1 only???

6. OK.

NFI why only 1 track. In my experience, whenever I have a skip on iPod, its because the track had the skip when it was ripped. So, if thats the case, I would try to re-rip the track with Error Correction on/hands off the keyboard.

Now, if its on the iPod only, I am out of bullets and would see what I could find at the Apple site and also at iPod Lounge.

One more thing....please don't embed your replies within quotes. They are very easy to miss that way.

Good Luck.

BGL

7. WTF???? I guess you were editing while I was replying!

Thanks for moving your reply out of the quote!

BGL

8. rpd

Yep. :)

9. rpd

Not only is it 1 track, but it is alway track 1 (first track on the CD)....

10. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I have a couple of ideas, but I think I need more information from you to give you my best answer.

Are you ripping using a Mac or a PC? When you rip are you using your computer for something else, i.e. web browsing? Are there condition issues on your CD’s that skip (scratches, etc.)? What bit rate are you using to rip? Have you tried reripping that individual song by itself? Are you using error correction?

11. rpd

PC
    Not ususally, but sometimes
    CD's fro sure do not skip
    "high quality" 128 kbps...
    not yet, btu I did fix one a few weeks ago...re-ripped the song...no problem...
    no error correction.

The strangest thing is I have never heard thsi skipping except on track 1 of a few CD's....never on track 2, 3...etc...

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I've been hearing this too. The way I solve the problem is to delete those songs in iTunes and re-rip the CD.

You'd think computers would get us beyond 'luck of the draw' type stuff.

13. rpd

OK, the skips on not on the CD
    The skips are in the library and on the IPOD.
    When I play the song from the CD using iTunes, it plays through fine...no skips...
    Just tried to re-rip it...had more skips. No more skips on this CD on the IPOD, except track 1.

fyi, Steve' DCC Cars s/t....

14. rpd

This "only on track 1" thing really has me stumped.....

15. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Well, that last part is puzzling. But the fact that it happens throughout the first song (rather than in one spot), and that you were able to successfully rerip indicates to me that it is a ripping problem caused by lack of memory (that would be RAM not how much capacity your computer has). Perhaps when iTunes begins to rip on your computer it uses a bit more memory than when it settles down to finishing ripping the CD. On my computer, I find that sometimes iTunes starts ripping at 1.2X and then eventually settles into 3.5x or so. I would try to rerip all those first songs that have errors in them and do it with error correction turned on. Error correction will tend to slow down ripping, but that is better than finding later that something is wrong. You might also try ripping and let the computer do only that. I usually rip while I am watching TV or doing something else. I let the computer tell me when it’s done iTunes makes a little ping sound, and then I go to the computer to change CD’s. BTW, ripping is much faster when the computer is only ripping, so it will take less time overall.

Let me know how it goes, and if you’re still having trouble send me a PM.

16. rpd

I have 1 GB of RAM

Does error correction effect sound?

17. rpd

In the "importing" section, what should "import using" be set to?

18. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

19. rpd

Could my drive be causing it? It never skips when playing a CD...

However, I just re-ripped it using my second drive...no problems this time...

Any thoughts???

20. brstp

brstp Active Member

My iPod (3G 40gig) does the exact same thing, probably 5% of the time. It's not a big deal for me, I just push the << button and it goes to the first track. If you find out why this happens, post here again...

21. rpd

I have a brand new 40G IPOD...

22. AFAIK, error correction should not hurt the SQ....should help it, in theory.

It is said to slow down the rip, but my PC is so slow already (lucky to get a 4x rip speed) I never noticed it, and leave it on all the time.

BGL

23. "Import using" determines what format and bit rate you rip to. Default is 128K AAC, but you can choose higher or lower bit rate MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF....

Lots of opinions on that.

I personally use 320K AAC, although its said that 192 is as good. I have a 40g, its only 1/2 full, and I have most of the CD's I want, so I go with a setting that to my ears produces outstanding results.

I would nuke one of the bad tracks, and re-rip with error correction on.

BGL

24. BWilli

BWilli Member

Have you tried different software for ripping and encoding? Give EAC a try with Lame as your encoder.

25. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Me too. Two months old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.