"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^= Thread Starter

So, is anyone watching this series? I'm one episode in and the production is really good.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

For the family or scary adult stuff?

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Looks good...gonna give it a try.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

For the family. This review compares it to the 80's kid-centric sci-fi adventure stories - Goonies, War Games, Stand By Me, Firestarter, etc.

6. davidshirt

It's really good.

Gardo and Scope J like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Wow, that was amazing (4 eps so far)! I bet Spielberg wishes he could still produce stuff like this, because it's pretty much Spielberg at the height of his powers in the 80s. There's even a character that feels and sounds like Harrison Ford (Chief Hopper), though not as much of a scoundrel (or as pretty).

So far the story feels like E.T. but with more bite. All the kids are great, but the kid who plays Eleven is crazy good. And the little pigtailed girl, Holly, is just adorable.

This had me from the very beginning of the first episode and kept me fully engaged during the first four eps. I hope they can end it satisfactorily and if they do, it will make the series one of the best of 2016.

8. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Loving this so far 4 episodes in.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, the sheriff or whatever he is really is kind of channeling Harrison Ford. He certainly does sound like him.

I'm liking this but it's kind of Goonies meets E.T.

10. davidshirt

I burned through the entire series yesterday. 8 episodes at almost an hour long each.. Overall I was really entertained. There never felt like there were any dull moments. Winona really came into form around the 3rd episode. I just wonder where they will go next season. There's some unresolved things.

Gardo and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I thought it looked a bit too for the kids to me.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought so, too. There is a lot of "ET", "Stand by Me", "The Gate", "Goonies" and what not, but it's still a pretty good series. That said, six episodes in, I'm not liking it as much as many here seem to be. It's pretty good, though.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  13. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Just started watching it and it immediately felt like a full on Spielberg homage. There are scenes reminiscent of "Close Encounters"; "E. T."; "The Goonies" and even "Poltergeist" which even got a name check! The story is good, the characters very believable, the acting excellent and just enough creepyness to make you feel uneasy plus its got a great early 80's soundtrack. The early 80's feel is spot on too. I am very surprised how good this series is so far (only watched 4 eps) especially after being soo disappointed with"Wayward Pines" (how on gods earth did that get a second season??). Am looking forward to watching the rest and hope it gets a second season or more!

GodShifter and Deesky like this.
  14. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

I'm 4 episodes in too and I am very very impressed. So very rarely do I see a tv-show or movie and have no idea what's coming up, but this is it, I have no clue. The casting of the kids is up there in "Freaks and Geeks" territory, everybody perfect and quirky, the lead cop is excellent as is Winona, so good to see her in something this good....I'm excited to see the rest of season 1

Gardo and Bowie Fett like this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Here's an interesting interview with show producer/director Shawn Levy discussing Spielberg nostalgia and much more...

"Movie nerds Matt and Ross Duffer have translated their love of classic Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter, Wes Craven and Stephen King pictures into an eight-part drama that feels as comfortable as sinking into your favourite chair".

"The opportunity in television right now for true auteurship in a cultural moment where movies are increasingly going to be the domain of superheroes and fairy tales, which don’t allow for auteurship in quite the same way, I think that so many creators are drawn to that opportunity in television."

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Finished season one the 8 hour movie. Man, that was a wonderful, wonderful piece of work. I loved it to bits - probably my favorite show of 2016. It had me engaged from the first episode to the last. Not a single dud amongst them. The whole extended cast was great, especially the kids and Elle (OMG, she was awesome), as was Winona Ryder and Indy/Han/Hopper! Just loved it and can't wait for season 2.

17. davidshirt

Without spoiling anything the last episode left me feeling like they can go down the rabbit hole further.. There were some unanswered questions.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

I absolutely LOVED it! Fantastic season.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's an understatement - there is massive potential for season 2 which can pretty much proceed organically from the end of this season by addressing those questions.

I hope they don't wait too long for the next season though, because those kids will grow up fast, which may take away some of the charm and innocence that was at the core of season 1.

BluesOvertookMe and GodShifter like this.
  20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I like how the older brother mentioned that The Smiths will change your life even though it was well before they even released their first 7" and this takes place in Podunk, USA....it didn't even get a domestic release. He must've had a really killer record store there or worked in radio and got an advance import promo. :D

21. Just started Jefferson Airplane in first episode. Works for me.

And another Airplane song later :tiphat:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  22. amoergosum

Regarding episode #1:

Right before the diner owner gets introduced, there's a scene where the soundtrack has the same sound/feel like the soundtrack of The Knick
    >>> click

The theme of Stranger Things (intro) also has that sound.

When I watched episode #1 I thought 'hmmm...did Cliff Martinez work on this show?'.

So I was surprised that Chris Sullivan played the role of the diner owner. He was part of the cast of The Knick (directed by Steven Soderbergh). Nice coincidence.

EDIT:

I just found these articles...so they were indeed inspired by the soundtrack of The Knick >>> >>>

"Added Ross, “Elliot going to the shed with John Carpenter music is really scary, let me tell you!”

Noted Matt, “We did that [test] and it was just like ‘This is fun.’ And we were just into synth. We were into what Cliff Martinez was doing for [Steven] Soderbergh and what Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross were doing for [David] Fincher. We were just really into it. So even if it wasn’t a period show, we were getting more and more interested in synth. Even if it was set in modern day, I think we would have done a synth score.”

Stranger Things: See How the Opening Credits and Music Sets the Mood - IGN »

---

"We’ve touched on the John Carpenter influence on the show, but it’s especially apparent in terms of its score. Music is so important in establishing tone, why did a Carpenter vibe feel like the right move for the score?

It was weird. It was one of the first things that we decided on. Like within two days of having the idea we knew that it needed to have a synth score. I think a part of that was we were listening to a lot of electronic scores at the time—Trent Reznor, Cliff Martinez—and so we thought it was cool and that with a story like this people are almost expecting it. So we wanted to play into that expectation. When we were trying to sell the show we cut together — we tried playing John Carpenter music over shots from E.T. and other Spielberg films. We thought it was really cool and showed it all in a different color that we really liked."

Netflix's Stranger Things Creators Talk '80s Inspirations, Influences »

Rufus McDufus and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

This is a fantastic series! Seems to have elements from Stand By Me (the movie), The Goonies, E.T. and Twin Peaks! Nice atmosphere and fine music/soundtrack.
    The best of Netflix this year so far!

Gardo, Kyhl and amoergosum like this.
  24. amoergosum

This scene must have been heavily inspired by Under The Skin:

[​IMG]

25. amoergosum

Stranger Things Soundtrack - Main Theme (Extended)