"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Indeed. After filming on S1 ended, they couldn't do post-production ADR looping for the Dustin character because Gaten Matarazzo's voice had already changed.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. One of the inherent problems of working with kids. For the third season they may have to with a different group kids but the problem will be then finding someone with the same type chemistry.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think that would be highly unlikely. They'll just have to keep adapting the show as the kids age, if they're going to go beyond S2.

4. Perhaps and it's not a bad idea to do that but part of the charm of the series are the ages of the kids.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah agreed, but replacing those same kids would probably rub the established audience the wrong way. They'll just have to Harry Potterize it.

wayneklein likes this.
  6. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Also a problem is the time frame they're using for shooting this series. To be clear, I understand both the business and creative reasons that this show isn't an old-fashioned 24-episodes-per-season situation. "Stranger Things" may not have survived a full 24-episode season on NBC or something.

But *if* they had shot a 20+ episode season when those kids were their initial ages, then they'd already be *past* where they'll be at the end of Season 2 of the actual show, which will apparently be 9 episodes bringing the total to 17 episodes.

So we're seeing a rather super-magnified version of the normal "kids aging drastically" thing.

wayneklein likes this.
  7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Um, how is it "super-magnified" if they make it so the show takes place a year or so later? Wouldn't that be natural aging?

8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I was working off of the premise that they're only setting the second season much later *because* the kids aged relatively drastically.

My points were only touching on how they could have mitigated that by a different production schedule.

It's of course debatable whether having them older and setting the show a year later is of great or minimal importance. I tend to think it's not a big deal, though I suppose I understand if someone thought them being younger kids was an integral part of the show. But we also don't have a time machine, so there isn't much we do about it now.

9. I thought much the same thing. It's unfortunate they had to wait to find out if they were picked up until after they became available. Unfortunately, Netflix probably wouldn't give the. The money for a 24 episode run that could be broken up as two seasons.

10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

So I was in Walmart this morning and something caught my eye. Saw this DVD and did a double take and looked it over:

[​IMG]

At first I thought it was for "Stranger Things". Then I flipped it over and saw it was 11 cheesy movies. I thought "Hmmm. Stranger Things movies, this is lame" and put it back down. It wasn't until I searched for the image that I realized it said "Strange Things" on the cover.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They somehow made it through 8 Harry Potter movies with (mostly) the same kids.

SandAndGlass and wayneklein like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

supermd, mrstats, Silken and 5 others like this.
  13. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I want to know if the Upside Down took form the moment of the "touch"', which I think is most likely, or if moving things around in the real world also moves them around in the Upside Down.

What I mean is, why are there certain cars parked where they are in the Upside Down?

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

New season coming on October 27th, just in time for Halloween...

[​IMG]

I'm not a fan of spiders, especially when they're in the clouds.

bartels76, EVOLVIST, jon9091 and 5 others like this.
  15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Looks like Millie Bobby Brown and David Harbour got "supporting" nominations at the Emmys.

I love this show, but I'm stunned that Shannon Purser as "Barb" was nominated in the "guest" star category. She did a fine job, but that performance didn't scream "Emmy!!!!" to me at all.

The show itself was of course nominated in the drama category, and it looks like it got about 87 other nominations in various categories.

16. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Granite Flats had a similar situation.
    It ran for 3 seasons, with nearly a year between each.
    Those kids were very different looking each season as they aged, and I have to say the series sort of lost its charm as a result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Of course barb got a nomination, this is the only recent show that got an Internet buzz of huge proportion. If you think the producers of that award show are not going to try and tap into that you're crazy. Mediocrity rules the Internet: read all about Rob Kardashian and Blacq Chyna here!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  18. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

So nice of you to take a break from dumping on James Bond to come over here and dump on Stranger Things. :sigh:

SuntoryTime, GeoffC, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  19. AKA

AKA Senior Member

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The new new trailer looks great. It must have cost a fortune to license Thriller for use and a remix! Yikes...

BTW, the worst special effect in the entire trailer are the wigs those kids are wearing. Jesus... :sigh:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    AKA likes this.
  21. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Did you guys see the 4LP box on Bleep?

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im not sure how this series will be different than the first. Ill watch it though because the first one was so cool and fun.

Kids look fine. Not that much older looking.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have been on the post crew on films before where they had to bring in a young actor whose voice had changed, and they wound up using a pitch-shifting harmonizer plug-in in order to get the voice back to a semblance of where it was. So you can do it to a point, digitally. Sometimes it's easier to just hire another kid and get a new performance of just the lines necessary.

What's interesting to me is that Millie Brown is actually not in a lot of the show -- I bet it's not even 5% of the whole series -- and I don't think she has two dozen lines, total. No question, though, she did a lot with her performance just with a look and the right presence. I'm assuming she'll have a lot more to do in the second season.

BTW, for those of you who liked Stranger Things, you should read a novel called Summer of Night by fantasy writer Dan Simmons. This is one of the scariest damned books I've ever read, about a group of a half-dozen 12-year-old kids who band together to fight a horrible demon who has actually killed one of the kids. It has a lot of echos of Stephen King's It, but I think it works well as it's own thing and is far, far more frightening (at least to me). Stephen King has a blurb on the back of Summer of Night where he says, "I am in awe of Dan Simmons," and I know what he means. They should've made this book into a movie or TV show years ago.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  24. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I like the period detail of those Commodore 1702 monitors (see 1:04 - 1:08 in the season 2 trailer), which I think were introduced in 1984. It's curious though that they took off the logos. I guess they spent all their licensing budget to use "Thriller"!

Chris DeVoe and MikeInFla like this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

With S2 nearly upon us, news just out is that S3 has also been picked up. What's more, there will almost certainly be a S4 where the showrunners plan to end it. Sweet!

Stranger Things season 3 confirmed

MikeInFla likes this.