"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I kinda did the same thing. I was like "Ok, when is Dart going to come in and eat the kids face off?"

jon9091 likes this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yes, theyve already started shooting according to the director and producers.

3. Even so, they could have the timeline follow 'real time' so any changes in the cast's physical appearance would make sense (ie season 3 starts a year after the events of season 2).

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They are planning it but I don't believe it's in production yet.

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm only through S2E3. Did anyone else find the minor plot point of the boys being the only kids at their school to dress up for Halloween a bit odd? When I was in school (later than the show's setting), kids dressed up in junior high and through high school. But they made it seem like literally all the other kids had "outgrown" it other than our nerdy gang of heroes. Then to add to the confusion, there's kids of all ages trick-or-treating and partying later in the episode in full costumes. So they just didn't wear their costumes to school...?

thesisinbold likes this.
  6. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

They’re beginning the writing process this month :cool:

7. Squealy

That’s not “shooting.”

Ethan B likes this.
  8. Squealy

That was already true of this season... the brothers have said they like the idea of the kids growing up and being different with each season. They compared it to the Harry Potter movies.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not really. Im sure if I tried hard enough I could find fault with many aspects of the series. It was simply a device used to show the nature of how they are outcasts. Its not really a "plot point", nor did it affect the plot in any way.

Robert C likes this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yep, looks like youre correct. I could have sworn I read somewhere that production had began.

Every source Ive read states about the same:

That shooting will begin "soon". That there will definitely be a 3rd and 4th season. And at some point they cant just keep having something bad happen. That they may have to have some sort of season in which the conflict is getting the hell out of that town or staying. Also most sites are mentioning that the studios as trying to rush production due to demand and also the kids changing into teens and losing them to the big screen. But the producers and director of the show states they would be fine making the show as one that is made in real time with their ages. Kind of a Harry Potter type thing. Everything said though they suspect Stranger Things 2 to drop next October or very early 2019.

My thought: Im sure Elevens character development will be a big part. I can see the humor possibilities and the morality points that could be brought out. I mean the show is mainly for fun, but it could keep the fun and also make some good points about human nature, the results of abuse and overcoming abuse. I wouldnt want the series to lose its humor and strictly become a horror drama; but I think they could do both humor and morality easily.

I could see a main plot theme being some characters saying "Lets get the F out of here. Let this crazy town burn!" And the other saying "If we dont stop this, it will eventually take over other towns and then the entire planet!"

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The wife and I finished our season 1 blurays last night. I'm glad I rolled the dice on this show. It was great. Even wifey liked it, which is a miracle.

Gardo, Szeppelin75, ex_mixer and 5 others like this.
  12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Now, aren't you glad you didn't listen to the bored, troll-y, Goosebumps-recommending contingent? Welcome to the Upside Down.

Chris DeVoe, Gardo, subzro and 5 others like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Swallow the pill and never, ever accept someone else's opinion that might differ from yours, because, lord knows, mob rules. And always single out a person post to "troll." Just remember that Gilligan's Island, "Two and a half Men and "Saved by the Bell" are tv classics, too, much adored online, too! Fondly looked back on by those who, 20 years later with and a little education, hopefully wonder: "Was I really that brain dead?" Welcome to the internet!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2017
  14. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Count me as a late bloomer... I watched season one with the wife back when it came out and it felt familiar and just ok. All the guys at work loved it, the rest of the family as well.

Started in on season two and about episode 4, BAM, it clicked. I love hanging out with these characters, these kids are acting their butt's off, the visuals are stunning....love, love this show.

Streaming season one on the iphone during my commute. Hit my local target and picked up a few Christmas presents. Season 1 box set in the VHS package, Season 1 and 2 lunch boxes and a couple of mugs. I'm in the upside down for sure...:p

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

jriems, AndyNicks and Solaris like this.
  15. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I do think the "stay or go" conversation needs to appear at some point next season. I could see Winona Ryder's character saying she's had enough and wanting to protect her kids, etc. I also think they have to more directly address the Upside Down and at least begin wrapping this narrative up. If they do plan to go to season 4 and end it there, they'll need to plant some seeds in Season 3.

mpayan likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah I certainly hope they dont make the dynamic El and Mike. Some sort of romance that turns out like the Spiderman romance. Gag. One of the main characters has to die. Will has been tortured enough. Geesh leave that child alone! I vote Mike. In a way he is the least interesting of the kids.

17. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

yeah, that was weird

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Finished S2 now. Compared with S1, I didn't think it was nearly as good. Though I still enjoyed it (mostly). I thought it was slow to get going (ie, wasted eps), and much of the focus was taken away from the kids, including Eleven, which made S1 so good. Also, Elle's journey into 'funky' town was a pointless detour.

Much of what happened was kind of pointless and didn't advance the plot from S1.

I thought it was okay, but ultimately a somewhat disappointing rehash.

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Some who are griping about pointless plot lines might be enlightened by the short interview sessions conducted by Jim Rash. All available on Netflix. I especially love how the Police song used in the final moments takes on a whole new meaning when taken in context with the final shot.

Szeppelin75 and turnersmemo like this.
  20. Nice. The classic "I'm so much better than everyone else" character. It's almost a cliche...

Zeroninety likes this.
  21. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

So no one remarked on the fact, that when Hopper takes Eleven to his hut in episode 3 and starts cleaning up, he goes through a box of LPs and the first one in it is an MFSL of "Dark Side Of The Moon"? You guys are slipping.

Gardo, Binni, Szeppelin75 and 8 others like this.
  22. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I noticed it immediately and rewound to double check. I'm guessing a set decorator managed to snag a few free gems. "Hey anyone want this box of vinyl we bought? No? Well I'll just take a few home then..."

I thought the 2nd season was, overall, fantastic. Great references to old movies (Aliens when the soldiers are heading to the "hub", a throwaway line from Astin regarding Goonies, and Max's brother being Keifer Sutherland from The Lost Boys) Dustin and Steve could have their own school-based sitcom and I'd watch every minute of it. The new characters, for the most part, worked out well. Episode 7 didn't exactly fit with the theme and tone of the rest of the show, but it was still great fun to watch.

Weak Points:
    Sam's backstory - didn't seem to add much, and the subplot with her brother seemed kinda tacked on
    Hopper tooling around the tunnels for some reason, you'd think he'd be smarter than that
    Why didn't everyone at the lab grab all the flame throwers they had at the end? I understand the complication with Will, but if they are being attacked like that, to me, all bets would be off

I think the best thing about the new season is that, for the most part, all of the characters are well meaning and, basically, good, with a couple of exceptions. I think writers too often use diabolical or inherently 'evil' characters as a crutch to add some drama to a script that is otherwise flat. There is a tiny bit of this with Max's brother, but most of the drama comes from believable friction between the existing characters, which is a welcome break from the typical bad-guy-of-the-season arcs of other shows.

ex_mixer, turnersmemo and wolfram like this.
  23. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Sting said in an interview that EBYT came out of thoughts of "Big Brother, surveillance and control", so it's quite apt for the final shot.

24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Sure, but in this case it's about a
    pissed off, recently defeated monster watching over you. Literally!

25. timind

timind phorum rezident

Just finished watching episode 7 from season 2. I'm figuring they're setting up some season 3 plot lines.
    I wanted to get it out of the way so we can watch the final 2 tomorrow.