"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

In the end, why oh why did Bob stop and smile to Joyce when everybody knew the Demodogs could easily break through doors? I mean, it was it only a matter of time ?!

2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Silly contrivance, one of many in this season.

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

More like another homage.

Strummergas likes this.
  4. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Numbers don't mean quality. Look around you, folks don't do much anymore for home entertainment other than interneting or Netflixing. These shows get watched even if they're not very good. People NEED TO WATCH SOMETHING now more than ever so there is a zombie audience there for all this middling dreck.

mooseman, Ghostworld and Wingman like this.
  5. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

While I agree that numbers don’t mean quality, Stranger Things is anything BUT “middling dreck.”!

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was the plan. I suspect they will stick in that direction if they continue with Season 3.

AndyNicks and Scotian like this.
  7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

If this show is set in Hawkins, Indiana, why does Billy Hargrove's blue Camaro have California license plates on it?

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

isn't that where they came from?

rontoon likes this.
  9. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

It is.

10. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

What I don't understand after watching S2 is how Reiser's character is still a free man after the media cracked down on the labs. He worked there, plus it was his voice on that tape that said the incriminating "We'll do whatever necessary to make her disappear" (or words to that effect) that was mailed to the media outlets. Now, he's having lunch with the Chief and giving him a forged birth certificate for Elle--wouldn't Reiser instead have gone into deep hiding?

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yep. People will sit and watch any crap on their TV. Reality TV? Check. The Kardasians? Check? Every CSI show ever made? Check. Prime time sitcoms? Check? Soap Operas? Double check. Stranger Things? Check. half endlessly boring high school scenes, half completely unoriginal low-budget sci-fi (Who thought used Christmas garlands could be so effectively used as set decorations?) Come on, we're talking about the nation that was obsessed with "Who shot JR?" here.

Numbers? "Dog attack Nuts" has 300 million views on YouTube. Numbers?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    DHamilton likes this.
  12. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Does the 4K HDR version look better to you than the Marvel shows on Netflix? The glowing red in the tunnels looks pretty amazing. I rewatched part of Daredevil. The dark office scenes looked really cool but there was quite a bit of video noise.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Still can’t muster up my the enthusiasm to watch S2 after (pretty much) enjoying the first one. :sigh:

Boswell likes this.
  14. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I can't seem to get interested either.
    A visit to a buddy's whose mate is in her mid-40s and is obsessed with superhero movies, Star Wars, Stranger Things, you name it, has put a sour taste in my mouth for this stuff. We can barely get through a visit without her forcing a trailer or even entire episodes of whatever she's currently distracted with. I mean, I enjoyed the Star Wars movies too but this is, like, culture to people now.

15. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Still waiting for you to name something you LIKE (other than complaining).

jriems, Laservampire, Rhett and 3 others like this.
  16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

So what? Everyone has different tastes in what they enjoy. Shows I don't watch or like, I certainly don't bother to read threads about them.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Have not yet seen Daredevil in 4K HDR yet, but I am in the process of watching the new Punisher, which I'm enjoying very much. The color mastering is done by my old pal Tony D'Amore at Encore Video/Hollywood, and I noted that he's using superimposed 35mm grain as part of the look -- so they are deliberately introducing some film grain in order to "dirty up" the clean Red Dragon digital cameras. The noise doesn't bother me, but I do see it. Film grain on real film negative is even worse.

telliott likes this.
  18. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep...

[​IMG]

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

My daughter insisted that I watch the first two episodes of this series. Pretty underwhelming, it looks like an expansion on Super 8, Dreamcatcher type movies.
    Is it really worth me trying to continue? Or will it drag on and on and bore the hell out of me like Westworld did?

21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

With an attitude like that you answered your own question. What do you need us for?

Binni, AndyNicks and Deesky like this.
  22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

So you can't say if the series improved after episode two?

23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It just sounds to me like he scoffed at the fan base and asked a rhetorical question without actually wanting an answer.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I thought there might be members here with an objective opinion about the creative worth of this series. Nothing to do with "attitude".

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As a lover of Westworld (a seriously fantastic series exploring the nature of existence), I don't see why you would even bring up Westworld in connection to Stranger Things. They are completely different shows.

There is a similarity between ST and Super 8 (another movie I loved, save the ending), however I found season 1 of ST to be superior to S2, which IMO was just a weak rehash of S1. I don't know if you watched S1, but if you didn't care for Super 8, then I doubt this show is for you.