"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Oh I know, it's just that I am supiscious of enthusiasm for certain series and find myself ploughing through them, only to discover that they aren't really up to much.
    I thought "Westworld" was utterly fantastic... for about four épisodes, then I realised that story was dragging for simple intention of making it a long series. Episode after episode just like the last and nudging the storyline a tiny bit each time. In the end it just became dull.

Thanks, I'll see how long I last through series 1.

DHamilton likes this.
  2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

There has already been 28 pages worth of objective opinions.

Vidiot and rontoon like this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not being a fan of the series, I wasn't enthused to wade through 28 pages about it.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Read faster.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:D No shan't!

6. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Just finished season 2, and loved it. Coming in from loving S1, we had high expectations.
    S2 successfully progresses everyone's storylines & has a spectacular finale.

Is it weird that I like to watch the opening sequence at the beginning of every episode?
    Those retro graphics & 80's electronic music just "bring me back" & put me in the right mindset. *shrug*

7. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

We actually kind of get offended everytime the skip logo option appears. Honestly I don’t understand why the filmmakers dont complain to Netflix about how they routinely force people to skip credits, particularly at the end. I couldn’t tell you how often I have wanted to read them only to have them minimized to the corner of the screen followed by an immediate countdown to some crap film I have zero interesf in. It’s BS.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

In fairness, for every one of 'you', there are probably 100 who feel the opposite. I am sooo glad they added the pop-up for 'skip intro'. With all of the resources available to us, we can easily look up anyone/anything about a title within seconds (that is, if we feel the need). Could you imagine watching a 115 episode series and being forced to watch the opening and ending credits of every single show? I'd gouge my eyes out after about 5 times of the same thing. I love that it's streamlined. And IMO, it could be a tad quicker (the pop up for start the next episode) when binge-watching.

Deesky and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Opening credits aside, end credits are easy enough to skip by simply pressing exit. I just don’t like Netflix taking decision making away from us, particularly when they use autoplay to artificially inflate the popularity of their lousy Netflix produced Adam Sandler films.

Cliff likes this.
  10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I've got a 4 DVD box set of Roger Ramjet : 149 episodes, each under 5 minutes, with a 1 minute intro on all of 'em. Aaargh! One day I'll rip each episode and remove the intro so I can get straight to the lulz.

--Geoff

Vidiot and rontoon like this.
  11. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

12. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

GentleSenator likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I just finished season 2. I'm surprised that you were unenthusiastic after season 1, but I really think you should give season 2 a shot. The last three or so episodes really hooked me. There were some real moments there. Now, granted I'm easily amused and don't immediately grasp all the plot holes and whatever, but to me this was a very impressive series. It's nostalgic, it's funny, it's horrific, it's intriguing. I can't think of a single thing not to like. Yeah, some of the characters are annoying, and so far fairly useless, but that's life. Not everybody's a major player. Some of these characters have a way to go, and that's a good thing.

I'm very intrigued about where the series is going to go in the next season because things seemed to be very resolved at the end of this season, but I suppose once a door has been opened, it's easier to open it a second time.

GodShifter and Vidiot like this.
  14. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Opinions are subjective, not objective. If you're asking about season 1, then I was hooked from the very first episode. If you didn't like the first two, then I'm guessing you won't like the rest.

Isaac K. and AndyNicks like this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Totally cool show!

subzro likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well I tried episode 3 and it didn't do anything for me either (and I'm a big science fiction fan).

17. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Not sure what being a big science fan has to do with it, but okay. A lot of people are big science fiction fans but still enjoy Stranger Things.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Oh I know that some people enjoy it.

19. dkmonroe

It's kinda got a toe-hold in the science fiction camp. Horror and SF have a casual relationship. ST is kinda like Alien but the enemy is other-dimensional instead of extraterrestrial.

20. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I am not a sci-fi fan at all. But this show transcends stereotypical genre classification because of the talented cast and their ability to reach a wide range of audiences.

SandAndGlass, Shawn and dkmonroe like this.
  21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I know. You missed my point. Purple Jim basically insinuates by mentioning that he is a big sci-fi fan that a “true” sci-fi fan could never enjoy the show. At least that is how it comes across, otherwise why even make that distinction. I mean, I’m a huge horror fan, but that doesn’t mean that I have to enjoy every single horror classic ever made.

22. dkmonroe

I think it artfully exploits a number of influences, most of them horror.

23. dkmonroe

I wasn't trying to directly counter your point, I was just suggesting that someone who is really into science fiction might feel that qualifies his critical opinion. Anyway, I didn't take PJ's comment so seriously, I thought he was just saying, "Hey, I'm usually into this stuff but this just isn't doing it for me." Which is a perfectly valid statement of opinion.

24. Totally agree. And if I was forced to pigeon-hole it into a single genre, I'd say it falls closer to horror than sci-fi.

Deesky, AndyNicks and rontoon like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

So all of the regular cast members just got huge raises in order to come back and do Season 3 of Stranger Things. Reportedly, the adults will get $350,000 per episode, the main kids are at $250,000, and Millie Bobby Brown will be at about $300K:

'Stranger Things' Stars Score Massive Pay Raises for Season 3

This means the show -- which was originally budgeted at about $3 million per episode -- is now going to be about twice as expensive, with the new costs going towards higher fees for actors, writers, and producers. Let's hope it results in even better shows...