"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

You would think the kids would get more dough than the adults. They definitely do the heavy lifting.

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I was thinking the same thing! I can see it both ways - on the one hand, yeah, kid with less than 10 years acting experience making as much as adult with 30 years does seem unfair, but on the other hand, who is more expendable? If Winona Ryder's character was killed off, the series could continue. If Eleven dies, that's the end of the show.

Ideally we probably shouldn't know about ANY of this salary business, just like in the real world. :laugh:

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It makes sense given how popular the show has been for Netflix. However for me, S2 was just a mild rehash of S1, so a huge raise seems unwarranted. Nevertheless, only Netflix knows how valuable the series is to them and so they acted accordingly. I hope S3 is better than S2.

GodShifter, Vidiot and GentleSenator like this.
  4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Filming will begin soon. They’ve done Christmas and Halloween. Next up...Valentine’s Day?

5. dkmonroe

They're making these decisions based on how many people watch the show, not some critical appraisal of this season vs. that season. I think that the audience for ST greatly increased with Season 2. I didn't start watching it at all until after Season 2 was released.

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

My how times have changed. Back in the old “Planet of the Apes” days, the more money a film made for the studio, the more they cut the operating budget for the sequels. Pretty counter intuitive way to run a business, but I always remember that when I hear stories like this today.

7. dkmonroe

"We've got the idiots hooked, just keep crankin' 'em out!" :laugh:

SandAndGlass and Isaac K. like this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I have one or two episodes left of season 2. So far so good, it has been as enjoyable as season 1. Looking forward to the 3rd season. May finish it up tonight if time allows.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  9. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

I enjoyed both seasons but my girls (11) loved it - as do their friends. We had a Stranger Things themed birthday last year (along with a custom re-theming of One Night Werewolf with the cast of the first season for parting gifts). Just last weekend they attended another party and both came back with boxes of eggos. This may be young generations touchstone of sorts. Certainly happy it has happened with this and they missed High School Musical.

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. MikeInFla

One thing I like is the attention to detail. They probably don't get everything right but I did notice the 3 Musketeers bar had 80's packaging.

Now:

[​IMG]

Then (and in the show):

[​IMG]

And the bag of Cheetos

[​IMG]

11. MikeInFla

And I'll even mention the shoes. Wonder if Nike has released these again? I'd buy a pair.

[​IMG]

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I can see Winona getting paid the most, given that she has been a star for 30 years. However, I'm surprised David Harbour, an actor most people had never heard of before this, is getting the same salary as her.

dkmonroe likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

I agree, that does seem odd and I wonder what the reasoning is behind that. However, it always seemed odd to me that Ryder was even doing a series like this. Not that I'm complaining though, she does a terrific job.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, she's been a star for 30 years but her career had been cold for the past 15 or more... since December 12, 2001 to be exact.

15. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

I noticed those shoes too when I was watching the show (and wondered where the showrunners would get such things nowadays) because in the late 70s/early 80s I was in junior high and those shoes were the coolest thing on the planet. Back then Nike basically had two shoes: canvas and leather.

[​IMG][​IMG]

If I remember right, the canvas ones were $20-$30 while those leather ones were $40-$50 and highly sought after. My parents thought they were too expensive for simple tennis shoes that a kid is going ruin in a few months time from wear and tear so I saved up my paper route money to get a pair exactly like those above with the red stripe!

Stranger Things is definitely doing their due diligence to make sure all of these costume and prop items are as spot-on as they can be.

SomeCallMeTim and MikeInFla like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it was one of those cases where everybody's contract was up, so rather than have a protracted haggling thing, they just told all the kids, "you're all getting paid the same rate, the adults have been actors for decades longer than you so they get more, and the show is successful so we're all getting raises." It pays to keep the cast and crew of a successful show happy. But usually in network TV, this is done incrementally -- so you'd go from $15K a week to $20K or $40K, not a huge jump to $150K after two years. That never happens.

Actually, there are two precedents I can think of, and both were where relatively minor supporting characters suddenly became the featured stars of the show after the first year or so. That happened with Henry Winkler in Happy Days and Jaleel White in Family Matters, and I think in both cases it rattled the cast that suddenly they had to share the spotlight with a much more-popular character. And I think each got 10 times their original salary.

But it's pretty rare it happens for the whole cast after only 2 years. It took a long time for everybody on Big Bang Theory to make huge money ($1 million a week for the lead characters in that show, similar to Friends years earlier).

MikeInFla and dkmonroe like this.
  17. dkmonroe

I don't pretend any great insight into the biz, but I wonder if the nature of this series makes quick action necessary - this isn't a series that's going to go on for ten years, those kids are going to grow up quick and ST with a bunch of young adults wouldn't be quite the same thing at all, so they've got to lock in the ensemble while they can.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think everybody understands this can only last 4 years, maybe 5 years tops. But... there's always the idea of doing a new Stranger Things with a completely different cast. "Stranger" things have happened in Hollywoo before.

Rhett and dkmonroe like this.
  19. dkmonroe

Well, if I ever see a trailer for "Stranger Things: The Next Generation", I'm skippin' it. :laugh:

Rhett likes this.
  20. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Nike Cortez ’72 trainers, which have an elevated heel (as seen on Stranger Things I think, not the flat ones worn by Fox in BTTF) are indeed in production again.

You should get them direct from Nike to avoid the bootleg copies that you may end up with if buying from Amazon or really anywhere else.

Nike Cortez Basic Men's Shoe. Nike.com

21. See, The Walking Dead. It's just as much of a reality in 2018.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Way late to the ST party. Binged both seasons over the last 4 or 5 days. I liked it. But while there's a lot to love about the show, there was quite a bit not to like as well. S2 seemed largely a rehash of S1 with Will being the center of the mystery again, more 'worried about her son to the point of trashing her own home' Winona, the showdown where Eleven saves the day only she really didn't wink wink, the nail-y baseball bat gag, etc. etc. I could go on and on. And holy crap The Lost Sister was horribly written, acted, and executed. If that's a spinoff, yeah good luck with that.

Oh my. So negative. I really did enjoy the show overall, it was fun. Especially with the kids. They should focus more on the kids, they're the best part of the show.

SandAndGlass and GentleSenator like this.
  23. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I love the show a lot & bought "Stranger Things-Season One" on Blu-Ray/DVD. I'm not too concerned about what the actors get paid because how I feel will have no bearing on that. I'm now looking forward to the second season's Blu-Ray/ DVD release. I hope they do the special VHS packaging again. It's cool!

MikeInFla likes this.
  24. MikeInFla

Actually it is called the Bruin. They did bring them back for a bit but I am not sure if they are still available because they are anywhere from $200-$400. There are some different styles of it available but not the white shoe with red strip. Most of them are different colored shoes and not leather. The ones in Stranger Things are the same ones in BTTF. As @questrider stated those two styles were very popular. I had the canvas ones pictured above but they had a light blue stripe. Sure wish they would make the Bruin available again at a decent price I am sure they would sell.

25. MikeInFla

Watched episode 8 last night and so far my favorite of the season. Almost done. I really like Sean Astin's character Bob. Was hoping he would stick around.

SandAndGlass likes this.