"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Walter White wasn't.

Dexter Morgan wasn't.

Hawkeye likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It was a joke. I don't claim universal knowledge of television.

But it's more correct than not.

3. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Yes it is. My bad, didn't get the joke part .. obviously ..... but the characters in "Stranger Things" are totally cliched stereotypes, more so than in other series IMO.
    Still enjoyable.

4. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Different yes, but I liked the 'darker' themes and approach - with ST, as much as I liked the episodes I watched, I always has an issue with too many kids around, playing it safe, etc. I like the 80s touch, but I miss the unexpected, unsafe, breaching the limits. Another things is I never gave it a fair shot, so that is just my very biased opionion.

5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I've started watching "Beyond Stranger Things". Kind of a round table discussion show and only 25 minutes. Perfect to watch during a work out. I download them to my phone and watch one each day. Some interesting tidbits and it gives you a chance to learn a little more about the kids.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

7. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Wow. Looks to be an exciting season!

8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Love the mall thing. Not long ago I got caught up watching this guys YouTube channel on abandoned malls.

SandAndGlass and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  9. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Cute early promotion. Stranger Things 3 is one of my most anticipated pieces of media for 2019. I'm ready for Summer 1985. And it looks like poor Steve is working a pretty grim job post high school graduation. I am still a big fan of the pet fan theory of getting Steve a job working in the Sheriff's department to keep him in the cast. He's easily one of the best and most developed characters on the show.

serj, SomeCallMeTim and MikeInFla like this.
  10. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, that is a funny promo -- it's actually pretty close to a "1986 VHS" look.

telliott and MikeInFla like this.
  12. Parachute Woman

Turns out this promo actually slyly introduced one of the new characters for season three. The girl who awkwardly says "Ahoy!" with Steve (lol) is new character Robin. She is played by Maya Hawke (daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman). The only info we have on her so far is this character breakdown: "an "alternative girl" bored with her job until she stumbles onto one of the secrets of Hawkins. She will be introduced in the third season."

I'm actually very excited to have another female character in the teenager age bracket on the show. It seems that Nancy only had one friend and she got killed off in the second episode. I think this will open up story possibilities, especially for Steve.

13. dkmonroe

Summer 2019?! Holy crap, what do they think they are, Sherlock? :laugh:

Oh well, I guess I can re-watch seasons 1 and 2 again over the next year.

14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Summer next year is a long way off. If they are going to do any more they should hurry and shoot season 4 now then call it a day.

15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

A bit impatient are you? As long as they keep up the quality of the show I wouldn't call for a hasty ending.

16. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

That's the problem with using child actors. They grow faster than time advances on the show. Long waits between seasons compounds this. The kid who plays Dustin already looks too old for the part in the latest Verizon commercials.

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The characters aren't staying the same age.

Robert C and rontoon like this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Right, this isn't the Simpsons. :p

Robert C likes this.
  19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

In response to these I'll quote myself, from a year ago:

People still expect TV shows to be cranked out at the same pace, even though the quality of production values and writing/directing on TV has greatly increased, in many cases to near-cinematic levels (or in the case of writing, beyond).

If Stranger Things had been a movie, nobody would be surprised if it took two years to make a two hour sequel. And yet people expect an eight hour TV series to be churned out within a year's time (but still be as good as the first season or better). I don't know if this is a reasonable expectation anymore.

Robert C, GentleSenator and rontoon like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Know what..? I think I worked at that ad agency....

21. dkmonroe

Dagnabbit, don't make me wait a year! Break out the tired tropes and the papier-maiche and get 'er done! :yikes::laugh:

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I didnt even catch the person was male much less Steve lol

23. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

If the mall wasn't built on the old Hawkins Lab site I'll eat a bug.

24. dkmonroe

Well, thank heaven we've got another trope other than "Indian burial ground." :laugh:

Robert C and rontoon like this.
  25. Parachute Woman

I know this show loves an homage, but will they go full-on Dawn of the Dead, with a season ending showdown at the mall?