Strangers In The Night - 1990 question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt Barnett, Jul 7, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Barnett

Matt Barnett Well-Known Member Thread Starter

::: New/First Post :::

I picked up a copy of the 1990 "Strangers In The Night" Sinatra CD made in Japan (1017-2).

I love the wide stereo field compared to later releases, but I noticed on the title track (track #1) at the 1:06 mark there is a faint but noticeable static burst in the left channel. I also noticed several of these anomalies throughout the CD on other tracks.

It's different than when a CD is scratched and skips. The disc is also very clean, so I'm certain it's not surface/laser interference. I've also played this on at least three different CD units.

Was this just a bad transfer job for this disc when released in 1990?

CBackley likes this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It’s been cleaned up in later remixes. It’s probably been discussed somewhere here at SHF, but a quick check at the Sinatra Family Forum finds a mention in the thread for the 2008 compilation Nothing but the Best:

NOTHING BUT THE BEST 2008 - Page 27 (post #534: No Strangers Scratch)

Welcome! :tiphat:

Matt Barnett and CBackley like this.
  3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

If that is the noise I'm think of, it was always part of the original stereo mix.

Bob F likes this.
  4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Er, that should have said "I'm thinking of..."

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt, if the catalog no. is 1017-2, then the actual release year was earlier. This was one of the first batch of Sinatra CDs from Reprise, issued October 6, 1986:

[​IMG]

It’s interesting and perhaps relevant (and perhaps somewhat humorous today) to read the following disclaimer on the back cover of this very early compact disc:
    It sounds like they knew all about that “scratch” and other such anomalies on the 2-track master. :)

[​IMG]

6. Matt Barnett

Matt Barnett Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Wow. Much earlier than I thought. The disc I have doesn't include any copyright date anywhere on the disc. I thought it was a 1990 release after Googling the title.

Makes me wonder if the original LP has the same issues.

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, if the noise you're hearing is what I'm thinking, it was part of the original stereo mix, and therefore every release of it (short of it being electronically restored with modern technology).

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

More than one artist has an album with this title. Adding the artist name to the title is usually a good thing as it helps others find threads.

9. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Found on thousands of early CDs, and never ceases to amuse me too, as well as the cleaning instructions that compare CDs to “conventional” records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.