Strangest/Obscure songs played at weddings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cubby, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cubby

Cubby Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello esteemed forum,

The thread about Shout being played at weddings lists off tried and true tunes you're sure to hear:

• Macarena
    • The Chicken Dance
    • Thriller
    Let's go the opposite way: What have you heard at a wedding which made your ears perk up and think "Gee, I wasn't expecting that"

At one wedding I was at, the entire Abbey Road Medley was played during a meal course. That was cool.

Thanks for playing.

2. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

My sister played Moody Blues "You and Me" during the recessional (exiting the ceremony). Words and music very appropriate.

It was awesome.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

not quite the same but at our wedding we decided none of that typical awful stuff. we hired my friend's 5 pc acoustic swing band playing django and david grisman style material. in between their sets my brother made three 30 min tapes. one with big band, one with Motown and the last with 60's rock. all very danceable. everyone had a great time and no chicken dance! :pineapple:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Played during my wedding ceremony: Todd Rundgren's "Marlene"and Tommy Keene's "Places That are Gone".

DME1061, savemenow and lightbulb like this.
  5. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I knew my wedding reception would be multicultural and multigenerational, so I took a lot of time to programme the music as well as I could to maximise inclusion. I got compliments on it from people of my generation, but my parents' neighbours (why were they even there?) decided to hijack the music system and replace it with a CD of BTO's greatest hits. Sigh.

hi_watt and brother1002 like this.
  6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

"I Never Been To Me" by Charlene :eek:

Sammy Waslow and lightbulb like this.
  7. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

My best friend walked down the isle to the Dead Milkmen’s Punk Rock Girl.
    My wife and I did our cake cutting to the theme from Shaft. That was my choice.:)

Sean and mfp like this.
  8. Ryan Capuano

Ryan Capuano Well-Known Member

We had M83's "Midnight City" and Arcade Fire's "Reflektor" played at our wedding as special request songs for us. The DJ cut them both off early and later on played two garbage songs that were on the "Do not play" list, but we had our moment.

9. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Tammy Wynette -D-i-v-o-r-c-e at mine, but here we are nearly 20 years later

Sean, InStepWithTheStars and izgoblin like this.
  10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The best audience reaction to a wedding disco DJ I've ever seen was early this decade, he never spoke a word all night, played Ghostbusters twice (because it got such a huge reaction first time around) and the full 8 minutes of the Stone Roses "I am the resurrection".

It was genius, but you'd never have predicted it.

Sammy Waslow and pantofis like this.
  11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

At mine, I put together a playlist with my best friend/best man...he helped me burn several CDs!... Here's a brief sampling:

Birds - Neil Young
    I'm In Love With A Girl - Big Star
    Without You - Harry Nilsson
    Baby Blue - Badfinger
    I Am the Cosmos - Chris Bell
    Buckets Of Rain - Bob Dylan
    That Is Why - Jellyfish
    On Top of the World - Cheap Trick
    Moondance - Van Morrison
    God If I Saw Her Now - Anthony Phillips
    Pretty Persuasion - R.E.M
    Pink Moon - Nick Drake
    If I Fell - Beatles
    Go All the Way - Raspberries
    Best Of My Love - Eagles
    Your Own Special Way - Genesis
    Start! - The Jam
    And You and I - Yes
    My Best Friend - Queen
    Bellbottom Blues - Derek & the Dominoes
    Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire - Joni Mitchell
    There She Goes Again - Velvet Underground

....plus...

12. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

My wife and I had a local rockabilly band -The Walking Clampetts- play at our reception. They played lots of well-known and very obscure rock & roll songs all night long. We danced like crazy!

Man, it was a great night of rock & roll!

strummer101 likes this.
  13. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

We spent a lot of time putting together playlists for our wedding: Guests arriving/chatting, Dinner, Dancing etc.. THE wedding dance was Ella Fitzgerald - Night And Day from The Cole Porter Songbook (1956). Somewhat surprising intro on that song for a wedding dance. We had a great time.

Avoiding the biggest cliches I guess but of course some romantic ballads. Quite different stuff mixed in like BigBang - To The Mountain, Massive Attack - Teardrop ++

mfp likes this.
  14. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

We had a deejay. We left the choice of music to him, except for one special request. I first met my wife at a college dance, during "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones, so we had to dance to the song at our wedding. The dj played that tune and a lot of other great songs, and every one had a great time.

Brian Kelly and lightbulb like this.
  15. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I was at a wedding where the DJ was running late. Someone had a CD boombox to provide some tunes until the DJ showed. The person running the music was needing folks to bring in CDs so they had some songs to play. I helped them out with some Beatles, but I did have her play one unusual tune. "Nashville" by Liz Phair. She wanted a slow dance song, and I figured that one would do the trick, even if it was off the mainstream path.
    I noticed 3 or 4 people go up to look at the CD case, so the song went over well.

lightbulb likes this.
  16. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

My wife and I decided on A whiter shade of pale and Hey Jude just before the Catholic ceremony sang by the church female soprano. Awesome!
    (This was 1975 btw).

lightbulb likes this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

At my best friend's wedding we all entered the ballroom where the reception was being held to The Theme From M.A.S.H. (aka Suicide Is Painless). As a bunch of music heads, we all gave each other a WTF-look, then burst into hysterics. I don't think the DJ got the joke.

Happy to report that 30 years and two kids later, my friends are still happily married!! :)

18. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

My parents keep telling me that they had a tape of Queen's A Night At The Opera playing at their wedding. Most older people kept telling them to turn that noise off! That was 1978 in Bulgaria, so nobody understood the lyrics, but celebrating to the likes of Death On Two Legs seems weird.

Fullbug and izgoblin like this.
  19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

My wife and I's first dance was to McCartney's This Never Happened Before

Followed by Blondies One Way or Another.

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Heh, I was at a wedding once where my date requested that the DJ play "Lorelei" by Styx, and to my amazement, the DJ complied.

I've never seen a dance floor clear off so quickly in my life prior to that.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

People play "every breath you take" which is about a possesive stalker

quakerparrot67 and pantofis like this.
  22. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

We used the Everly’s “Let It Be Me” and Springsteen’s “If I Should Fall Behind” in our ceremony.

23. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

My son and his wife walked down the aisle to the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows".

DigitalDave74 and YardByrd like this.
  24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

That's funny, because one of my stories is very similar. One of my wife's friend's from high school was a big Ramones fan. At her daughter's wedding they were playing all this crappy slow rap and NOBODY was dancing. I asked the DJ if he could play "I Wanna Be Sedated" as a special request for the mother of the bride. The dance floor immediately filled with the 40+ crowd and the young folks soon joined in. After that the DJ alternated oldies with the more uptempo/fun hip hop/rap stuff and the dance floor was pretty full the rest of the night.

TonyR likes this.
  25. Vince Gill

Vince Gill Forum Resident

When I was 19, my best buddy got a girl pregnant and felt he had to marry her. Their first dance song was “Better Man” by Pearl Jam. Not sure they looked at the lyrics to that one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.