Strangest/Saddest stories in Rock history...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

true but he played one of the best shows on the 3rd at K.B Hallen in Denmark...

Some of his most other worldly playing... I wish this show had of been recorded professionally...

2. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I edited my message saying that some of the shows WERE good, thinking about that one! But what i was talking about was an overall vibe...

3. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I do agree about the overall vibe, But I.O.W has some great moments as well.

Dodoz likes this.
  4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Jimi being Jimi it couldn't be all bad.

andrewskyDE and eyeCalypso like this.
  5. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

well said.... Even the I.O.F gig has some moments :)

Dodoz likes this.
  6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Apologies if these guys have been mentioned --->

Carlos Vega - excellent studio drummer and longtime member of James Taylor's touring band. By suicide, at the age of 40.

Chris Whitley - great, bluesy singer/songwriter, excellent slide player, dead of lung cancer at 45.

I saw Carlos and Chris multiple times. Chris recorded Dirt Floor 20 years ago, as good a one-man guitar and voice album as Nick Drake's Pink Moon, if you ask me. Chris seems mostly forgotten now, though I hope I'm wrong about that.

Carlos was an impeccable drummer with fantastic time and a great touch. I don't really know what, if anything tangible or observable from the outside, drove him to it.

jlf likes this.
  7. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

Sadly, you may be right. I do listen to his music every now and then.

Chris Whitley's daughter Trixie (wikipedia) has released a couple of albums, worth checking out.

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Terry Kath's death was worse, in a way.

Comet01 likes this.
  9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Tragedy in airplanes/helicopters killed several musicians who would have probably changed music even more:

Jim Croce & Maury muehleisen (incredibly gifted acoustic guitarist)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - One of the saddest losses for me as I loved his music as a teenager
    Buddy Holly - was on the path to become a very strong figure in music
    Otis Redding - a mega star who left us way too early, who knows what he would have achieved

The story of The Allman Brothers Band is extremely sad and of incredible happiness with the amazing music they produced

The tragedy of Bill Graham’s passing, a man who did so much for music in general

Kurt Cobain was a man who brought back rock when it was going to crap and then he left us tragically

Keith Emerson was yet another sad story, a beautiful talented man.

There are many many more sad stories that make me sad, but remember all the good music these people gave us.

Dodoz and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

If it hasn't already been listed Janis Joplin's story is a very sad one.

11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Electrocution-

On Stage 1972
    Les Harvey from Stone The Crows

At Home 1976
    Keith Relf Ex- Yardbirds
    Discovered by his son!

Fox67 likes this.
  13. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

She would have been a strong figure in the seventies. I’m 100% sure of that. Her influence was strong in that decade, but she would have become a much bigger artist. Nonetheless, she continues to influence male & female artists.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

JOHN LENNON...

Badfinger...

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

And was in a coma for three days before passing.

BDC and Dodoz like this.
  16. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

17. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

The death of JaZZ musician Freddie Webster seems pretty tragic as in Miles autobiography he says he was given "some bad ****" in Chicago that was meant for Sonny Stitt who was "beating everybody out of their money to support his habit" but poor Webster got it instead and overdosed. Miles says on Page 95 " I was sick about that for a long time. We were almost brothers me and Freddie. I think about him even today".

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

How many times has Ricky Lancelotti been mentioned? If it's none - and I sincerely doubt it - then I also say Ricky Lancelotti. What might have been.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  19. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Klaus Nomi. I can't stand his music (his first album was, surprisingly, a gold record in France). Just being an original doesn't make someone great.
    But anyway - he died of AIDS very early on (1983), probably in terrible agony, and there are stories of people not visiting him because they were scared they'd catch that awful, unknown disease as they didn't know how it was transmitted. This man died very lonely. He hid scars due to aids with collars during his final performances like this one...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  20. jcure

jcure Forum Resident

Col. Bruce Hampton collapsing on stage during the encore of his 70th birthday concert as a 13 year old guitar prodigy soloed. Most of the musicians didn't notice or thought he was goofing. He died shortly after.

jdrueke and Dodoz like this.
  21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Mary Hanson of Stereolab, getting run over on her bike and killed by a truck at age 36 in 2002

22. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Has anyone said Nico yet? She was “tragedy beautified”

23. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Reminds me of Papa Wemba, a great Congolese musician, even if it's not rock music.
    He collapsed on stage during a show that was broadcasted live on national Ivorian television, just like that. 0:44 into the video, everything seems normal, he's dancing. You see him collapse at 0:49 (the director was too busy showing the dancers' butts in the meantime :rolleyes:). His people don't know what to do, just standing around him, and medics/firemen seemed to take forever to come on stage and DO SOMETHING. You hear cries of "he passed out" and then "he's dead!" live on TV, silence, and then a commercial break... He was 67 years old.

People are stupid as always and see conspiracies in everything. There have been comments about his microphone killing him (!) just because some tech seen changing it, moving the mic stand around, after the collapse.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    jcure likes this.
  24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Papa Wemba part 2 :

"Are you nervous at the idea of the last journey, or the last show?
    I think it's during the last show that I do on stage that I will go, in front of all the fans who will be there.
    This is your wish, this is what you wish for yourself.
    This is how I feel. There are moments when, on stage- i'll confess it now- I feel like I'm gliding up there. As if I was up there. So maybe, it could...(interrupted).
    Maybe lifted by the energy from the crowd?
    Maybe, I don't know. I don't know how to explain it. But maybe one day I will leave this way.
    Thank you very much Papa Wemba"

:eek:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    bzfgt likes this.
  25. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Trish Keenan of Broadcast died young from pneumonia after getting swine flu on tour in Australia. She had such an amazing voice its a tragedy she passed at 43. I remember I had read a great long piece about Broadcast in the Wire on holidays in France in 2009 and started listening to them but two short years later she had died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.