Strawberry Alarm Clock: Bubblegum Pop or Serious Rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like them but is the music by the Strawberry Alarm Clock bubblegum pop or serious rock?

2. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Ultimately Sunshine Pop, I think.

3. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

A mish-mash of good material, and sometimes cheesy and subpar material.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd take them seriously...

5. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Bubblegum Acid? Well...perhaps not. Hard to categorize. But, I do take them seriously.

6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

When the first album came out, my friends and I knew that this wasn't on the same level as Jefferson Airplane or Country Joe and the Fish, but we found SAC enjoyable anyway...at least I did. Ed King's guitar tone and the harmonies made it worth it, IMHO.

So I think bubblegum is way too harsh. I would just say they were what they were and leave it at that.

7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

How about "serious bubblegum pop-rock"? It's the same "flaw" that Forever Changes has.

8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It's certainly not bubblegum.

I hear a lot of parallels between SAC and other acts that get categorised as "baroque pop", namely, interesting tunes with some unexpected chord changes, and a lack of reliance on heaviness. Other examples are the Zombies and the Left Banke, and the aforementioned Love. There is a slightly jazzy element to the music of SAC; it could almost be said to be a precursor of jazz fusion. It also seems to have some elements of bossa nova - which of course is itself highly jazz-influenced.

I have only heard three or four of their songs, but from what I have heard the only "psychedelic" thing about them was their name, and perhaps some of their lyrics were rather spiritual. There is nothing particularly psychedelic about the music.

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Only a very few of there songs strike me as too bubble-gummy. Most are serious and feature really fine musicianship and arrangements. Even "Incense" is a really cool song, musically, and I don't really care if the lyrics are near-nonsense - it still grooves like crazy and has super cool changes. I think the band would have had many more hits and a longer career if they had only been able to hook up with a distinctive, powerful lead singer. Their harmony vocals are impeccable, but the lead voice is rarely more than serviceable.

10. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Nightmare of Percussion. Serious stuff. I've not been the same since.....

11. Teek

Teek Forum Resident

Bubblegum is serious rock.

12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I never pass up a chance to post this beautiful number:

ArpMoog, ashiya, doubleaapn and 11 others like this.
  13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

DEFINITELY not bubblegum.

14. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

"...a yardstick for lunatics, one point of view..."

Heavy man, heavy.

15. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Yep... it fits into this feel, mood, outlook that was prevalent in the late 60's when all things seemed possible. Love it.

Tim S, jamesmaya and CliffL like this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

If you take the first lp (and not the single) as the best representation of what their goal was (before departures and record company demands), they were a serious sunshine pop/jazz outfit.
    There were good songs on there (not big hits), and they really aspired to make albums that were pop, but serious.
    Some of the lyrics today are laughable, but I enjoy the album overall; it's not bubblegum.

Folknik, eternalise and Platterpus like this.
  17. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of the Clock...I never considered them bubblegum. Just a young rock group getting in on the psychedelic bandwagon of the time. Here's one of my favorites by the band, rather moody and melancholy with the puzzling title "They Saw the Fat One Coming".

18. Beachbouys

Beachbouys Forum Resident

Serious rock, how pretentious!!! Most so called serious rock I have heard is plain garbage.

19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

One of the funniest song titles I have ever seen is "The Birdman of Alkatrash" which is the B-side to "Incense and Peppermints".
    I'll admit I don't know that B-side musically very well, having only played it a couple times.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I just invited Ed King to join us here in this thread, whether or not he cares to is of course, up to him.

21. mds

mds Forum Resident

Certain bands were FM and others AM. AM did not mean bubblegum all the time although AM played enough of it. FM shied away from Bubblegum or this is how I perceived the two. SAC fell into the AM slot and as others mentioned not bubblegum but good solid AM material.

Grant likes this.
  22. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Discovered them when I joined this forum and I don’t regret because “Incense and Peppermint” is a great psychedelic song! Don’t care if it sounds dated.

23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think if the Mothers' Freak Out started a genre, it was called Strawberry Alarm Clock. Is it serious? Or are they being a gas? Charlie don't know.

Buddybud and Lightworker like this.
  24. mds

mds Forum Resident

Too add one more note I believe it is on the Nuggets compilation, which I do not consider Bubblegum.

25. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The SAC did have some Sunshine Pop elements to their music but they also had some darker material as well and became almost straight garage hard rock by the time of their last album. Their albums are well produced with lush arrangements which kind of pegs them into Bubblegum due to their big hit I&P.

eternalise and Electric Sydney like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.