"Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane" Single on April 22 (Record Store Day 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have the original US 45 picture sleeve in mint condition.
    I'll pass on this...

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

If it doesn't come with a t-shirt I'm not interested.

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

No Strawberry-scented scratch 'n sniff Penny-coloured vinyl, no sale.

5. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Nice! Hopefully I can actually find one in the store on rsd instead of having to pay double for it online.

Zeki likes this.
  6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Psychedelic color vinyl would be nice.

happydeathman, forthlin and aoxomoxoa like this.
  7. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Surprised it doesn't mention if this is analog or digital, mono or original stereo or remixed stereo or withdrawn promo version. So many possible permutations!

ParloFax, Raving Russell and drasil like this.
  8. nowhere-man-in-e

nowhere-man-in-e Senior Member

It's mentioned in the official press release:

For Record Store Day on April 22, Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe will release an exclusive, limited edition seven-inch vinyl single of The Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane," among the first songs recorded during the 'Sgt. Pepper' sessions, which began in November 1966. Rather than being held for inclusion on the album, the two songs were released as a double A-sided single in February 1967. Amidst intense media speculation about the band's next move, the single bridged what was then considered a long gap between the Revolver album, released in August 1966, and 'Sgt. Pepper,' which followed 10 months later.

9. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'm coming to realise that it's harder than it seems to be able to make multi-coloured vinyl look good. Such is the nature of its creation I guess, but the sort of randomness that you end up with unless you're going for the Third Man approach of set segments just looks messy.

One of the few that's worked (but wouldn't be good for SFF/PL) is the Vinyl Williams album from 2015:

[​IMG]

10. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

Anyone have any idea which mixes/versions are being used for this release?

11. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Reading that, however, there is basically no information there about what versions of those songs we would be getting. Are the original mono versions? Are they the newer stereo remixes?

If it's just a reissue of the mono single, I can probably live without it as I already have nice copies of the UK and US originals. But if it's the stereo remix, then I might be interested.

I'm guessing it might be the remix, since the 2LP Pepper set scheduled for release does not include SFF or PL. So this RSD single might be the only way to get the remixes on vinyl, increasing its desirability.

john lennonist, Mr. Explorer and e.s. like this.
  12. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

[​IMG]

13. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

nowhere-man-in-e likes this.
  14. varispeed

varispeed what if?

No piccolo trumpet ending on Penny, no sale.

15. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

The scratch and sniff on my 1978 7" red vinyl version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" by The King's Singers on EMI still works well.

I'll probably listen to any of the various versions by The Beatles that I have on vinyl and CD whilst happily scratching and sniffing my King's Singers sleeve rather than buy this re-issue. Well, for a while anyway until the men in white coats come and take me away....

16. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Cool. That actually makes it worth owning, sort of.

17. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

Thanks for that. As I already have these mixes on 1+, I guess I'll be passing on this.

john lennonist likes this.
  18. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I have the other Beatles RSD releases so hopefully I can track this down for the collection.

19. 7000 worldwide is plenty i think

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That's 3,000 more copies than Pink Floyd's 1966 version of 'Interstellar Overdrive'.

21. Well, it was a MUCH bigger hit.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Was looking to get Magical Mystery Tour partly for these tracks, but I may grab this 7" as well.

Are the 2015 mixes good?

23. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

They're okay. Better than the 1971 mixes, not as good as the originals.

If you're looking to get this 45 just for the music (no pic sleeve etc.), I'd recommend finding a clean '70s pressing on discogs. The US Starline 45 can still be found relatively cheap. Not a collector's item, but it definitely hits the spot.

andybeau and Chrome_Head like this.
  24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Yeah just the straight reissue on black vinyl doesn't seem that special to me. I wonder if the sleeve will be the thin paper like the U.S. version or the heavier cardstock with glossy sleeve.

25. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Why?

131east23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.