Streaks on Records From Moisture?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jking3002, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jking3002

Jking3002 Forum Resident Thread Starter

See the below image- these aren’t scuffs since they wash off.

I thought they were due to the types of sleeves I was using at first but I’ve had the issue with multiple brands. I’m thinking maybe it’s moisture from putting the records away too soon after cleaning. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

It looks like residual moisture left over from cleaning that had not completely dried before placing the record in a sleeve. What is your cleaning process? Do you use a vacuum record cleaning machine?

3. Jking3002

@Chazz I use a vacuum machine now but cleaned many albums before I had one. When checking more recently cleaned albums (since the RCM) I either don’t see this issue at all or on the few albums I do see these kinds of streaks they aren’t nearly as numerous.

I think I’ll just try letting the records air dry a bit after using the RCM and see if this gets rid of the issue completely?

4. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Are you sure it's not the sleeves?

A few years ago MOFI had a bad (huge) batch of sleeves that that left similar marks on peoples LP's.

I was one of those people. PITA, but the marks came off after another cleaning and the use of a different sleeve.

5. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Poly sleeves were notorious for this as I recall. Left greasy streaks like that. Rice paper sleeves stopped that for me.

6. Jking3002

@aroney and @Pythonman it could be the sleeves but I’ve noticed it on two different kinds of sleeves which would be a pretty big coincidence.

7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Tear stains! Love Cash.

bluesaddict and Jking3002 like this.
  8. KnotMyPrahblum

KnotMyPrahblum Active Member

9. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Was one a MOFI? I'm thinking sleeves on this one...;)

10. Jking3002

@aroney one was a Mofi, yes. I guess it could also be some sort of chemical reaction between my cleaning fluid and the vinyl/sleeve!

11. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I've seen sleeves leave marks before, but not quite like that. Looks like drip marks to me. If what you were doing is leaving your records to drip-dry, then my guess is that they are water marks. What I find curious is the lack of marks on the dead wax. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.