Streamers that accommodate removable storage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking for a survey of streamers that can play FLAC files via Ethernet or from directly attwched USB storage. Currently available products only.

2. ServingTheMusic

Anyone?

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Would an Oppo 105 be an option? Yeah, it's a pricey streamer, but it does come with a nice universal optical drive as a bonus. (really kickass DAC too!)

jlc76 likes this.
  4. ServingTheMusic

Yes, decent option..the only reason I would pass is I would not need the disc transport or video capability.

5. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Synology DS213J: NAS drive + Streamer

6. ServingTheMusic

Interesting! So it outputs audio via USB to a DAC?

7. akai

akai New Member

8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

That's right. The streamer is an app called Audio Station that you add on to the NAS, controlled by desktop or phone, tablet etc. . The controlling apps to browse your library are a little slow in comparison to, say, SONOS, but the streamer sounds good, does Hi-Res, gapless, plus a wide range of files (WAV, FLAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless etc.) and is free with the NAS. Bit of a bargain I'd say.

9. ServingTheMusic

stupendous... This is really something..and cost effective. Thanks.
    Yes, this is high on the list! The only issue I have with Auralic is their products slow to come to market after these kinds of demos and the support is under staffed.

10. akai

akai New Member

Marantz NA8005, Music Direct has it on sale for $799 from $1,199. You get a really nice DAC with the streamer. I own the SA8005 which I belive has the same DAC.

11. ServingTheMusic

Gapless FLAC on attached storage?

12. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

If my Touch should ever fail...
    Raspberry Pi 2

13. ServingTheMusic

It can be purchased assembled?

14. c-eling

Maybe Andre , I was actually just checking ebay for some kits, seems they have a few pre-installed with some movie apps and such bundled with remotes, and cases etc, not sure on the audio part of it, add LMS to it and I think your all set

15. ServingTheMusic

Cool...I have been tempted to try one for a while now.

16. c-eling

If one already has a good DAC, it may work very well as a dedicated streamer/pass-through interface, and for dirt cheap
    Edit:I've kind of been keeping an eye on BadassBob's thread over at AK forums, he has some nice tutorials on how to get it up n running

17. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Another recommendation for Synology - I use a DS209 containing two internal WD 3TB drives and an additional 1TB disk attached via the front USB port (one of the internal drives is a backup).
    Most of the music files are FLAC and output to a DAC in the music room, also streaming via the router to Squeezebox Touches in various rooms. The 3TB drive (s) also contain my digital photo libraries

18. ServingTheMusic

Seems like a no brainer and infinitely flexible. What was your total cost?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Onkyo's TX-NR818 does, though that's an AV receiver (albeit a very good one). Many others do likewise, but you may be looking at something neater. Though the mention of the Oppo appeared to open the door up to alternative approaches. The Onkyo current model is the 838, though the 818 was the real standout - the 8n8 series has been degraded somewhat in the last two releases IMO.

20. ServingTheMusic

I like Onkyo's stuff. But I think an AV receiver is a bit of overkill.

21. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I built the DS209 about 4 years ago and have since added the 3TB drives to replace two originals which were 1TB. I can't remember the purchase cost sorry

The Synology range includes single or multiple drive versions and you purchase the casework without any drives - adding these yourself. You do need to be a bit tech savvy to get everything up and running and there are many options available within the Disk Station Manager software. It has run faultlessly the whole time I have owned it but be aware that it is not plug & play or an all-in-one solution by any means

Here is a link to a data sheet for my particular model:
    http://global.download.synology.com...-year/DS209/Synology DS209 Data_Sheet_enu.pdf

22. ServingTheMusic

Thanks a bunch.

The reason for this research is we just sold out house and we have to move into a rental for a while where I might or might not have Ethernet. So I want the option of direct playback and I just won't use a computer. Once we buy a new house I will use my usual network approach.

23. Do we have an ETA for this device?

24. ServingTheMusic

At Munich they were saying July....?

25. John R Leddy

John R Leddy Active Member

I use an old Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 which in my opinion represents good value for money. I stream FLAC over ethernet, but the Stream Magic 6 can also access music via outboard USB storage. Besides being a network audio player, it can also be used as a renderer into an external DAC, but in my opinion this would be a bit superflous. The onboard DAC may also be accessed by other digital products making the Stream Magic 6 one of the most adaptable components currently in the marketplace. Oh yes, and it's wireless if you prefer; not my cup of tea, but I just remembered so thought I should mention it.

The Stream Magic 6 was meant to be a stopgap whilst investigating which player to chuck real money at, but to be honest it slots so favourably into my BAT VK-3iX / VK-55 I'll probably wait until it packs-up before replacing it. I see Cambridge Audio now produce newer products with enhanced specifications, but as I don't allow myself to become bogged-down with replay bitdepths and sampling rates, I see my older component continuing to be used into the foreseeable future, enhancing its perceived value for money further.

Hope this helps.

Here's a link to Cambridge Audio's network audio players: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/streamers

John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.