Streamers: Which one or none?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bubbamike, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

Phil4 likes this.
  2. msinderson

msinderson Forum Resident

You are right, the Raspberry Pi can do a lot. Check out my previous post (with link to my blog post) in this thread for how I built my streamer. It should give you some ideas:

3. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

I just set it all up (I amazingly ran into no problems with the setup of everything) and it sounds great!! I'm really happy with this purchase, it's crazy how cheap it is considering the performance.

I recommend the PI Dac+ from iqaudio.co.uk, you can also download an image file for the SD card that has everything configured with Runeaudio so you don't need to mess around with the settings to get everything to work.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Joey_Corleone and msinderson like this.
  4. parisisburning

Sounds great Phil4. Check out mpdroid for Android or mpod for iPhone to control it from your phone.

Phil4 likes this.
  5. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

I have three Raspberry Pi devices running piCorePlayer connected to Logitech Media Server. Two wired, one wireless, two with HiFiBerry Digi+ (S/PDIF output cards), one with their DAC+. The DACs I use are Graham Slee's fantastic Majestic DAC/Pre-amp, and a Metrum Octave. Great sound all round. I sold my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 and had loads of money over after getting the Pi devices. Using iPeng for iPad and iPhone to control them, what's not to like?

As far as I can see all the "big name" streamers might have bells and whistles on them, but they basically don't do any more than the Raspberry Pi streamers. So why pay more if all you want is good sound and can live without the fancy casework and the prestige name on the front?

(And although the Raspberry Pi is used in education, it's most certainly not a toy as some here seem to think . . )

6. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident Thread Starter

With encouragement from Joey_Corleone I bought the Pi components this week and in a few moments set up my own Raspberry Pi streamer. It was amazingly easy. All I had to do was mount the Raspberry Pi in its case, take an micro SD card and flash it with Volumio, plug the card in, hook up the Pi to my PS Audio dac via USB, hook it up to my network and plug in the power supply. It works great. I'm controlling it with the Linn Kinsky app, through a browser works just as well. It has made me aware of some of the tagging issues with my library. I'll have to work on that. What's really amazing is that it is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

7. msinderson

msinderson Forum Resident

Congratulations to all of you! You have just discovered what I think is the best kept "secret" in streaming audio. Amazing performance for a minimal price. That leaves more money to but music with!

8. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I am glad to hear this! Enjoy! After upgrading the firmware on my DAC I have had no issues, and the USB DAC really does sound better to me than it did with optical from the AppleTV. I love the bitperfect output and being able to send the files in their native resolution and bit depth to the DAC. It is just a really nice sounding solution and I could not be happier.

Robert C likes this.
  9. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

I have a tagging issue with runeaudio. It says "undefined" instead of the band that's playing because I put the band name in album artist instead of artist. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix that without adding the same tag to the artist category.

10. parisisburning

When I have problems like that I open the files in foobar and change em. Takes a minute to do.

11. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Make sure you use a program that actually updates the time stamp on the tag, and make sure you tell runeaudio to rescan. You can have it just rescan a particular folder in your library too so it is fast. If the time stamp is not updated, even after rescan, runeaudio will not update the tag and it will drive you mad.

I know this because it happened to me a few weeks back and it took me a bit to figure out wtf was happening. I was updating the tag with the dbPowerAmp tag tool and having runeaudio rescan, but nothing was sticking. Eventually I learned that mp3tag does indeed update the time stamp. Some other programs do not.

12. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

Every single album in my library is tagged the same (album artist has info, artist does not) yet around 50% of my library shows up as "unknown artist" on the MPDroid app. I'll have to mess around with the settings and see if I can fix it.

EDIT: Fixed. I went into the library settings and "tag to use for artists listing" and it let me list album artists. I still have the problem using rune audio on my desktop but I won't be controlling it from that very often so I don't mind.

13. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Many great solutions in this thread for audio only SQ but lack the versatility or even ability to do multi media. Thus the optimized PC/MAC (renderer) is still, for me, the only single solution that achieves fantastic picture/audio quality from the same media player/streamer (JRIver) via USB/display port of preference via DAC/Monitor.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  14. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Same issue which is a problem as it makes it difficult to find some pieces and it will split up albums when there are different artists.

15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I have had eight streamers in my rig and settled for the Aurender X100L. Aurender also makes the N100 line for less money and the N10 and W20 for considerably more. Great sound.

Melco also makes a well regarded streamer, N1A for even less money but it doesn't yet have a dedicated app.

16. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I just took possession of a Simaudio 280D DAC with built in MiND streamer.

I will be selling the excellent SOtM sMS-100 and external battery supply..very soon. I have 5 more streamers than I need.

Spitfire likes this.
  17. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

+1 .

There is simply no contest (and no need) for me to spend huge money on any sort of "dedicated" (overpriced) streamer when a well tuned media PC (Windows Server 2012 R2/Audio Optimizer (optional) and J.River Media Center (21.x) does it all - for much less.

Plus - with my built in need to constantly be tweaking and improving - having any kinda box that I couldn't open up and change parts out - would make me cranky.

VP

Kyhl and ElvisCaprice like this.
  18. ServingTheMusic

Nope. Sonically...there is no contest..dedicated, purpose built audio streamer not running commercial software or O/S beats the living heck out of a tweaked PC any day of the week.

The fact is there are two types of computer audiophiles..Ones that are into the COMPUTER part, and ones that are into the Audio part. Easy to tell which is which.

I have no desire what so ever to fiddle with a computer. I do that enough with work and for managing my 12 TB library offline.

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's an occupational hazard for a reviewer. ;)

20. ServingTheMusic

Tell me about it!! My first was a Squeezebox Classic, 8 years ago, then a Touch...

21. Vocalpoint

Sonically - we will simply agree to disagree.....

VP

beowulf likes this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If Sonos or BlueSound could remove their track limitations, I'd completely buy in. There's no reason that should still be an issue so many years after the products were introduced.

23. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Yeah, I would have to disagree with this. Any audio streamer is a final product unable to be DIY'ed is no match for the CAPS builder who can DIY all day long. Not saying it's for everyone, but it's a fun part of the audiophile hobby. Disagree also with your attempt at distinction between the DIY CAPS builder and NOT in terms of being an audiophile.

beowulf likes this.
  24. Vocalpoint

Could also be the "ServingTheMusic" is assuming that those that using PC are perhaps taking a line out of the dinky onboard soundcard and calling that their "audiophile" feed.

Like many who use J.River - a DAC is a critical part of the deal. Maybe I should have made mention of that....

VP

25. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I have an old Airport Express with the optical plug connected via an optical cable to my DAC, and then a long ethernet cable from the Airport Express, down into the basement into my Airport Extreme. I just turn AirPlay on via my iPhone or MacBookPro and send whatever I want through the Airport Extreme into my radio - iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, you name it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.