Streaming/Bluetooth Adapters (Sonos, Bluesound, Bose)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Helom, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helom

Helom Forum member Thread Starter

I'm slowly piecing together a secondary system and wanted a WiFi adapter for streaming internet radio and music apps such as Spotify. I have been using an Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver for Spotify in my main system and have been pleased with its maximum sound quality. I might upgrade to the Spotify "lossless" if they end up offering this service. I own only a couple hi-res downloads and don't foresee myself adopting that format.

Initially, the Bluesound Node 2 seemed the obvious solution, as it supports WiFi and Bluetooth. Bluetooth capability is not a must but I do like having the option. The Bluesound retail price is $499. The Sonos Connect only does WiFi, but it's reported to have the best user interface. It comes in at $349.
    Then I discovered this product from Bose (I know...I know..)
    SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter | Bose
    for a paltry $135. It has Bluetooth (though not Aptx) and WiFi and can stream files of up to 16 bit / 44.1 KHz, which is good enough for me. It has a built-in DAC but also has digital outs.

I'm sure the Bluesound was the safe choice but I took a gamble and bought the Bose product. So far I'm pleased with its performance. Initial set up was fairly easy and its app has worked flawlessly with my Spotify service thus far. It hasn't had any signal hiccups despite my modem being a good 25' away, with a floor between them. The only qualm I have so far is the internet radio stations sound a bit dull/compressed. I don't typically listen to internet radio (other than Pandora), but maybe this is common?

My hope is that I found an inexpensive product to fit my needs, but I can't help wondering if I'm missing something that Sonos Connect offers or does better. I'm looking for some to chime in on these products.

Thanks

2. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Would a chromecast not just the done the job?

Obviously just wifi and no bluetooth.

3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

For internet radio and online music services, Chromecast Audio and this Bose device are pretty much equivalent. The main difference is how the two approaches manage local music files. CA can play music cast from local storage (PC, mobile device) via Chrome browser or Play Music (or another compatible app), or it can access networked local files via a protocol similar to DLNA so long as a compatible server such as Plex is running on the network. This Bose device, like Sonos, does not require a separate server in order to access local music files. Each option has its advantages/disadvantages.

DML71 likes this.
  4. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

I purchased a Bluesound Node 1 at closeout prices of $299. Very happy w/purchase and saved some money.

5. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I cannot comment on the streaming devices you list, as I use AirPlay. That said, I doubt your Bose is at fault for the poor streaming radio audio quality. My experience on streaming radio stations is they are generally more compressed compared to streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music.

6. Helom

Helom Forum member Thread Starter

Thanks, that's what I figured.

I hadn't heard of Chromecast music.

Is there any real difference between the Node 1 and 2?

7. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Good observation.

I use AirPlay, as well. AppleTV 4 will get AirPlay 2 compatibility, so I would go that route if I was looking at AirPlay now. Apple said other products will get updated, but no one knows which products will be compatible at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.