Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

i am sure some of you have seen this already ... but it is worth watching again. you can tell, even thru basic headphones, AN has play back reproduction capabilities unrivaled (by anyone manufacture) and are a completely different level. i especially enjoy what PQ says at the end.

Rob Hume, Seafinch, Jim13 and 3 others like this.
  2. james

james Summon The Queen

damn, you're not kidding. sounds like a room recording of a live musician and not a pair of speakers

Seafinch likes this.
  3. slcaudiophile

like i said, i have been into hi end for about two decades and have had some really hi end speakers over the years and there is nothing, nothing like an AN system for music reproduction. lots of great stuff out there, but nothing is like AN. keep in mind that is the best they make but that same sound signature is found in all full AN systems ive heard.

4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Awesome thanks for posting that I had not seen it, it sounded good even through my crappy old laptop speakers!

5. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I just purchased from the original owner a AN Soro Line SE who bought it in 1997. I think I got a good price and it gives me an opportunity to try an AN SE amp without a huge investment. So in that regards I'm pretty happy and it can be returned if the unit doesn't live up to expectations and I'm only out shipping cost. I know the 18w will be plenty for my listening habits.

Apparently the unit is in excellent working order and still has the original tubes(?). I figure the tubes will most likely need to be replaced which is fine. I have all the needed tubes in my stash if need be. Well here are a couple of photos. Anything I should be on look out for an older amp of this sort? I'm looking forward to the experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I saw that on the major online auction site and thought (hoped) that someone was going to get a good deal. Good for you! I'm afraid I can't offer any advice or tips except: enjoy it! I have one and it has been a musical revelation.

Richard Austen and Joe Spivey like this.
  7. Joe Spivey

Thanks Subagent. Fingers crossed it all works out ok :righton:

Richard Austen likes this.
  8. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Congratulations Joe that amp looks in great shape I hope you love it!

Joe Spivey likes this.
  9. Dear Joe,

That looks like a great unit you've picked up there! If you're up to the task and familiar with the use of a multi-meter, I would suggest taking a DC (reference to ground) reading on either side of the yellowy-golden Jensen caps and checking that there is around 150v DC on one side, and less than 0.3v DC on the other. (Please only do this if you're familiar with this kind of thing, I don't want you to hurt yourself if not). There have been a few rare instances of those capacitors leaking DC after many years of service and causing the 5881 valves to run positive grid which isn't particularly great for the unit.

They can be replaced with the new style copper and Mylar foil Audio Note capacitors, but they're much larger and the main PCB needs different mounting hardware underneath the board to raise the PCB up a fair few millimetres.

Otherwise these are an extremely solid unit and very pleasant sounding, which will give you many years of Aural delight :)

Fabrice and Steve Hoffman like this.
  10. Joe Spivey

Thanks James! This is great info to know so thank you for sharing. Easy enough to check. I did go ahead and drop it off at a reliable tech. He'll be going over it to check everything out. He's got a few standoffs on the 6L6 board to replace as they broke during shipping it seems and securing some pots and posts. Actually it might be a good time to replace those caps given this so I will certainly consider it.

I used the amp for a couple of days and I'm encouraged with how it sounded and excited to get it back. My brief time listening, it was apparent vocals sound so natural and life-like and everything else kind of falls into line around it.

11. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

I'm sorry but that post is utter nonsense, bordering on snake oil salesmanship. The idea that anyone can evaluate play back reproduction through headphones on a computer (even an Apple Mac) is risible and that's putting it politely. Just educate yourself on basic physics and electrical engineering before insulting my intelligence again.

Basso Profondo, moops, timind and 3 others like this.
  12. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Someone needs a Snickers.

SetANE and timind like this.
  13. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

Nah. I just don't need to waste my time idiotic fanboy BS.

14. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

My problem with all of that guy’s video content is it sounds like he’s using the on-camera mic to record audio. It’s baffling why he would do that for an audiophile audience.

Stereophile has produced some decent hifi show videos, with some thought put into audio capture. There’s a gap in the marketplace for someone to come in and really do a bang-up job though.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  15. james

james Summon The Queen

Is this Kenny Powers?

JMAC likes this.
  16. Joe Spivey

Well Jana from Stereophile has launched her own youtube channel focused on recording listening rooms for viewers...

Her first piece is the new reference speakers from DeVore Fidelity. I think there is an Audio Note amp in there somewhere.

G B Kuipers, JMAC, spartree and 4 others like this.
  17. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Now THAT is what a Hifi video should be. Congratulations to Jana of Stereophile.

G B Kuipers likes this.
  18. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

That video by Jana was very well done. Wow.

19. geodiak

geodiak Forum Resident

Hi.
    Any info on the new Audio Note UK R2R ladder dac or the new CD 5?

20. slcaudiophile

the latest i heard is the R2R will most likely be in the higher end dacs. i just ordered the 4.1x and called it a day.

geodiak likes this.
  21. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I'm a little confused. Aren't all AN DACs R2R? Are they working on their own R2R instead of an AD chip off the shelf or something?

geodiak likes this.
  22. slcaudiophile

current dacs all are chip based. AN does have an R2R dac in the works.

geodiak likes this.
  23. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Chip based, yes, but still R2R, correct? I didn't think any AN products used delta sigma.

geodiak likes this.
  24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Right - the AD1865 is an R2R DAC chip.

geodiak and DyersEve726 like this.
  25. tommylion

tommylion Well-Known Member

The forthcoming DAC uses discrete resistors for the ladder, instead of a chip.

geodiak and DyersEve726 like this.