Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

(Sigh) Now I'm going to have to figure out a way to Clone my Kidneys so I can afford one. Thanks for the photos..and the heartbreak Richard!

2. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

They have an amp in development that I believe is higher level than the Ultra.

I think a Kidney wouldn't even pay for the tax on them :)

3. finn

finn Forum Resident

Retail for the Ultra's is 450000 pounds. I worked out a rough retail on this system today and a quick estimate came to US $1.8 million.

4. Richard Austen

Hi Finn - does that include the speakers? And if you know - what are the speakers? The three things Audio Note doesn't do - big room speakers (yet) and headphone and headphone amp based systems.

There would seem to be a big market for this - after all I would assume lots of rich guys tend to have money which means they would live in rather massive homes. Or conversely in Asia there are lots of rich guys who live in relatively small apartments where hi-end headphone systems rule. It would not be unusual for example to spend $5 million US on an 1000 square foot apartment in Hong Kong in downtown area. My 600 square foot place goes for over $700k.

As an aside:

Hemp headphones with real wood accents with silver wires into a Audio Note Head SE amp. People are spending large on this stuff these days - I'm seeing headphones out there at over $3,000+ and amps going for more.

Several years back I auditioned the OTO Phono SE directly running the AKG 1000 headphones and it was outstanding. I believe the headphone owner bought the OTO as a headphone amp. Which illustrates how exceptionally quiet the OTO is to be quiet enough to run headphones. Albeit the AKG was somewhat unique.

I can just hear my AN dealer in Canada - "for the love of God DO NOT suggest MORE products for AN to make - they can't make what they sell as it is!" Still "Junior Jinro" headphone amp. ;)

Musicisthebest and bhazen like this.
  5. finn

finn Forum Resident

GIP Laboratories, Japanese manufacture. There are prototype headphone amps already but given the existing backlog of design and fabrication, don't expect anything soon. The TT3 is now slated for September, October release and this was initially planned for January so not easy being a manufacturer with an active R&D department that take their brief seriously. The delay is the result of redesigning the power supply for the 3 motors with the upside being a significant improvement over the initial prototype I heard back in October last year.

6. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

The above regarding the TT3 1/2 ref is exactly what I heard from Emily Qvortrup last week. As nothing seems to be manufactured within three months of ordering at the moment I feel that we can forget about owning one of these whilst still in 2017!

7. finn

finn Forum Resident

The new turntable is going to be simply known as the TT3 which includes the smaller external power supply. The TT3.05 Reference is a completely different turntable using much larger motors, a power supply housed in a Meishu sized chassis and a platform made from ductile aircraft aluminium along with a much larger bearing and spring arrangement. They will have a pre production prototype at the Munich show at this stage however.

8. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Ok thanks for the correction Finn. Your feedback after listening to the new TT3 will be appreciated.

9. finn

finn Forum Resident

I'm trying to get one for late July but no guarantee apparently. The hold up now is the manufacture of the power supply pcb. I already have a TT3.05 Reference for comparison but that will be a touch unfair on the TT3. I don't think its appropriate for me to comment on sound but happy to supply facts and details concerning products..

10. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Ah come on Finn. I'm sure that you can be impartial ;-).

11. finn

finn Forum Resident

I first got introduced to AN UK 22 years ago so impartial may be hard to convince others. More than happy to provide information and genuine background knowledge first and foremost. I'll leave the sales to the US guys.

12. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I was talking to Peter Q in the fall of 2015, before ordering my TT-2 Deluxe turntable and he figured that the TT-3 would be available around April or May of 2016. I was considering holding off the order of the TT-2 Deluxe and waiting for the TT-3. I am quite glad that I didn't! I know that cynical audiophiles would have some biting comments about how long they are taking to bring the TT-3 turntable to the marketplace, but I am not interested in it until they have worked out any and all issues with it. I will happily wait for the new model with the new motors and power supply, as I have heard a few times that it is a marked improvement over the prototype that has been to several hifi shows. I will simply suffer with my TT-2 Deluxe, just as Finn will have to put up with his meagre TT-3 0.5 Reference :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

finn likes this.
  13. Don Parkhurst

I wish that I had the option of a high quality headphone amp module in my M6 Phono that is being built. I would love to be able to play music at an enjoyable level after the family has gone to bed. I may buy an external headphone amp like I have in the past, but all of the ones that I have liked in the past are expensive! This hobby can be like a drug addiction o_O

Richard Austen likes this.
  14. Don Parkhurst

Are those 211 tubes or 845 tubes in the Ultra?

15. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

According to AN "The output valve is the STC 4242, which is similar to a 211 but with a Molybdenum anode."

16. Richard Austen

I am reviewing a headphone amp/integrated amp that is pretty spectacular for $800. Four EL84s and valve Rectified. I'm sure Audio Note could do it and I mentioned to the owner of the amp I am reviewing but he noted that do it at the level that Audio Note would demand would significantly add to the cost. Peter isn't the type to just stick a headphone jack on it like receivers makers do.

There was (briefly) an Audio Note kits headphone/preamp. But it's not on their site anymore.

17. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Just fitted the current stock Ongaku GE 211 valves to my Jinro and upgraded signal valves and rear voltage regulator valves curtesy of PQ at a nice price. Wow! Also replaced the ISIS Digital cable between my CDT Two/11 and 4.1 Balanced with Black Pallas that I snapped up S/H for 50% retail. Double wow!

18. Don Parkhurst

Oooh, Oooh, Oooh! Tell us about it! I have tried several cables between my CDT3 and DAC4.1/x Bal-Sig and the best was the Sogon, but word out of England has it that the Pallas and especially the Black Pallas are far superior? I realize that it is new, but what has your impression been over the previous digital cable? Which one were you using previously? Was it PQ that gave you the 50% discount on the Black Pallas? Or did you find a used cable?

19. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Hi Don.

I bought the Black Pallas from a friend of mine at 50% retail not PQ. So fully burned in :righton:Peter did sell me the valves for the Jinro at a good price (not half price) because I've had to have a new Jinro built as my 1st one bought new developed a recurring fault and I've lived with it for some time. AN no longer deal with Elrog. It's partly political and partly linked to quality control. The 211's that are now fitted are the same as what PQ has fitted to his Ongaku's at home. They are a big improvement over Psvane. Whoever wrote that the old new stock 1960's GE's VT 4C's are transient killers must hear things different to me! Improved signal and rectifiers valves make a big difference also.

I was using ISIS digital prior to the Pallas. Excellent improvement! Regarding Pallas over Sogon the guys at AN, as you intimated and my friend who used Sogon before Pallas say it's a very worthy upgrade. Over ISIS it's night and day and that's with the transport and DAC below yours in the range. All the usual sonic strengths that we look for are clearly heard! I'd quantify the ISIS to Black Pallas upgrade in my set up easily equivalent to one notch up in hardware at the mid levels....

20. Don Parkhurst

I'm sorry to hear that you had a problem with your first Jinro, Awfully glad though that a new one is working well.

I would love some Elrog tubes, but they seem to have more problems than anyone out there. I have found that when you find the best NOS tubes for your amp, that it is very hard to beat a high quality NOS tube.

I will probably end with a Black Pallas digital interconnect at some point but I have one or two other issues to tend to first : )

That Jinro must sound awesome these days!

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  21. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Spot on regarding the tubes Don. My new valve set make a big big difference. Peter supplied them and he assured me that they are better sonically and, as you referred to, more reliable than the Elrogs.

The combo of new valves/Black Pallas went in at the same time so last night I isolated the two. As a consequence I would recommend that you look at the Black Pallas sooner rather than later Don. Fabulous stuff! Actually a Finn recommendation. Thanks Bryan.

I'm thrilled to report that I'm having lunch with PQ on 29th April and he's giving me a tour of the factory. It will be a Saturday so nice and quiet. It coincides with a trip I have planned to Brighton and prior to his trip to Hong Kong on the 02nd. I'd love to hear his set up but will wait more in hope than expectation for any possible invite :love:. It will be a thrill whatever!

Shiver likes this.
  22. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

23. finn

finn Forum Resident

The factory tour is like walking into a candy shop when on a diet, the temptation is enormous. If Peter does extend the invitation, just don't expect to listen to jazz trios , think dubstep, Noisia, incredible dynamics unlike anything you have ever heard before and if you are lucky, single barrel tequila.
    I imported and distributed the Elrog tubes as well after hearing them in my Ongaku Kensei and even though I still use them, the reliability issue and the dreadful failure rate of the 300b tubes made it one of the worst business decisions we have ever made. The 211 and 845 tubes were much better in terms of reliability and if Peter has changed tubes at home, it is only recently.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  24. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Just telling you as I heard it from James Bryan. These GE's are definitely the ones fitted to the stock Ongaku. Excellent! I wouldn't care what Peter played to be honest. I haven't heard a system at the level that Peter or yourself own. It would be very interested to hear what that sort of money buys!

Andy Saunders likes this.
  25. finn

finn Forum Resident

I misunderstood about what the factory supplies currently, I thought you were referencing Peter's system as he was running custom single 211 Ongaku monoblocks last time I visited. I'm sure the GE's will sound very good and prove reliable.
    The sound of Peter's system poses more challenges than any other system I've heard.