Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Thanks all. I was pretty sure there were authentic AN stands, and when manufacturers make matching stands I consider them mandatory. I bought some year old AN-E SPE HE's from a local guy who is upgrading to the SPX and keeping his stands, so I'll have to find my own. I imagine I'll hit up Warren after he's had a chance to rest from the audio show this weekend.

Out of curiosity, what's the name of the finish? As best I can tell this is the same finish Raferx has, which sure looks fantastic in his pictures as well as this casual camera phone shot of the actual ones I purchased.

[​IMG]

alan967tiger, jonwoody, Art K and 6 others like this.
  2. Sheppard

Sheppard Well-Known Member

3. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it is Indian Rosewood - although it could be tulipwood when I looked at the finishes on their website. AN doesn't have anymore Indian Rosewood so if yours are that finish you will be one of the only people to have it. It's my favorite - I also like Makassar but you need the right room for those to look good being a darkwood.

The AN stands are the way to go but do try and listen to them unfilled - Kevin Fiske, reviewer for Hi-Fi Critic has the E and prefers the sound without being filled. There is a certain logic to this given the speaker is undamped and so having the stand undamped may allow resonances to escape faster which seems to fit the design of the speaker's intent. AN probably doesn't agree but it is worth a try since it costs nothing.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Those look incredible... Very nice. I agree with Richard that they are Indian Rosewood. I ordered a pair of the same speakers recently and that option wasn't available. I ended up going with Palisander, I think. It was a very tough call though because so many of the finishes look great.

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What's interesting is this pair of J's in Palisander looks a lot like them, but mine nor those J's looks anything like the picture of Palisander on AN UK's website. But here's some Indian Rosewood that looks nothing like these.

I guess I'll see what it says on the box when I pick them up. Whatever they call it, it's my favorite color these come in. Most of what I'd call the "audiophile woods" like Rosewood, Koa, etc are a little too red-ish for me, I like the darker woods. It's actually a very close match to the finish of my turntable plinth too.

Richard Austen, googlymoogly and IanL like this.
  6. johnnypaddock

It seems that AN might have made mistakes labeling the finishes in some cases. Here is a link to another thread that I came across awhile back:

Anybody have a 300B Tube Amp?

I mentioned that my finish was darker and I attributed it to differences in pictures online and in the real life appearance. I went to their website again and I swear my finish looks exactly as what they have as Rosewood. A quick check on images.google.com proved that my finish is really Palisander. It has to be dark and smooth. Not even close to your picture. As a matter of fact, all their finishes are messed up. Here's what I found about:

Their Palisander - Actual Tulipwood
    Their Tulipwood - Actual Rosewood
    Their Rosewood - Actual Palisander

Richard Austen likes this.
  7. finn

finn Forum Resident

The finish is Satin Palisander.

Seafinch and Rolltide like this.
  8. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I may be wrong but I believe all the finishes will be slightly different because the pieces of wood are slightly different - so my Poplar Burl AN E's will look a bit different than everyone else who has a poplar burl AN E. Though the finish is matched Left and Right for the pair you buy. Having seen photos of other AN E poplar burls they look different.

The dealers usually have the finish book with the actual pieces of wood rather than just photos.

Poplar Burl AN E some have more spots than others

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This would be the guitar for me

[​IMG]

9. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

As a dark horse, may I suggest the Apple high gloss? I always thought I wanted a darker version, like Makassar, but a friend of mine got his in Apple HG, and it really grew on me. So much that I had my cabinets changed to that finish.

I think that what appeals to me is that it isn't so visually busy. A lot of the finishes may be initially stunning, but in the long run, I think that less is more. They still look attractive, just not as attention-grabbing and more in dialogue with other furniture.

[​IMG]

And yes, each speaker is unique in its finish.

10. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

Indian Rosewood is redder than this. The speakers at last year's Ca Audio show were Indian Rosewood.

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Listen folks, I know you're jealous of my speaker stands, but you just can't be that way - it's a really negative trait and it makes you seem petty.

(On a serious note, I'll have real AN stands and better placement as soon as humanely possible).

[​IMG]

12. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I had Indian Rosewood for my first two AN speakers and wanted something like that for my SEC-sigs, but along came a pair in black. Now that they've been here for a year or two, we really think if we had it to do over, we'd do black again.

The finish is the same (depending which one you choose), it is the wood that is diffferent since no two trees are the same.
    As Richard mentioned, most (but not all) dealers have a book with real wood samples of the finishes, however newer woods might not be in there since AN does not automatically update them (and the dealers have to pay for them).

Richard Austen likes this.
  13. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

sheesh, I wish ->I<- could have such expensive stands. They're even better than I had in school (concrete blocks) <ducking>.....

14. johnnypaddock

:laugh:

beowulf likes this.
  15. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

But how do they sound!?

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I was originally going to go with a cinderblock + plywood approach, but figured cutting wood was way too complicated. And also, as you say, one has to graduate from concrete blocks into concrete pavers once they reach adulthood - so much more refined. I actually think those hand towels cost more then the 6 concrete blocks* they're stacked on.

*Fun fact - it takes 6 2" concrete pavers to equal 10", not 5. Glad I brought the tape measure with me to Lowe's.

Richard Austen and Seafinch like this.
  17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Pretty #&*$^ good. I'm going to reserve ultimate judgement until I get proper stands and better positioning, but certainly no regrets!

18. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Great! That makes me really happy to hear considering the similarities or our setups. Looking forward to updates!

19. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I may (or may not :) ) have mentioned this before, but there are two Bay Area Audio Note dealers:
    -True sound in Campbell
    -Audio Federation in Palo Alto
    also in Sacramento, there is Deetes Sound Room

Richard Austen and Rolltide like this.
  20. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Mmm... that Apple High Gloss finish looks tasty! This thread is killing me to look at system upgrades, just wish there was an AN Dealer in the maritimes to have a listening session.

Encore likes this.
  21. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

While yours are nice, I'm kinda fond of my super high end stands.....
    And to the rest of you AN-E owners, feel free to copy my exotic finish!:edthumbs:

[​IMG]

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Are your dishclothes cryo'd? Anybody who says it doesn't make a difference is fooling themselves.

Sugar Man likes this.
  23. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

That looks like a great system. I am positive that if I were to sit down and play some music, that it would be very musical and very enjoyable!

Don

Sugar Man and Seafinch like this.
  24. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Ha! I can relate. I had a wobbly IKEA bookshelf that had a large shelf about two feet up from the floor. I stole some weights from the barbells at home and sat the turntable on those. It actually made an appreciable difference!

25. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Anybody know what happened to the Cobra? There was a little chat around it a couple years ago, but it seems to have dried up at this point. Along with the remote and integrated DAC, if the dimensions are small enough it makes it an interesting prospect for me for a bedroom/desktop system.