Studio albums that have an entire alternate version available (studio recordings, not mix/mastering)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Agree! it is both an entertaining listen and an education into the creative process.

2. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Cracker re-recorded its greatest hits on Greatest Hits Redux in order to release them on the same day their former label, Virgin, released a greatest hits album. David Lowery was pissed off at Virgin for one reason or another. Redux has sold more copies than the Virgin compilation.

broccolid likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Chris for the extra info on this. I have the two disc but was unaware of the history :cheers:

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

PJ Harvey - Dry
    Demos for the entire album were released with initial copies of the vinyl.

5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have that first mix, the second one is much better. The first pressing sounds muddy to me. I keep it for collectors reasons.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's not what he's talking about.

They recorded the album initially on 8-track. Then they scrapped that and recorded the whole thing over again on 16-track, mixed it, and released it.

Then, in 1971, they remixed it and re-released it.

So the two mixes of Aoxomoxoa are both from the same 16-track masters.

ianuaditis and mooseman like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Haven't heard it, but I remember a saxophonist George Howard did a version of Sly Stone's There's A Riot Goin' On.

8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

UP! was mentioned earlier, but Come On Over was the one that pushed Shania Twain to the top with a country version in the US and a pop version originally released elsewhere and then finally in the states too.

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Pete Townshend demos for Tommy and Quadrophenia.

jlf and linclink like this.
  10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Yes indeed - excellent.

joelee and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Although 3 of the 12 tracks on the stereo are from the original album sessions.

12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Devo’s Freedom of Choice demoes that appeared on Recombo DNA would have made a decent album.

Also the 7 or 8 songs re-recorded for the Jethro Tull Christmas Album would have made a better (but shorter) album. (Maybe add Pan Dance, March the Mad Scientist, Looking for Eden, and Elegy to fill it out)

Also The Cars first album has demo versions for 8 out 9 songs on the deluxe edition.

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Not quite what the OP is after, but close enough to mention, methinks...

Josh Ritter has reissued multiple albums with later "acoustic" versions of every song from the original disc. Here's an example (note the banner at right):
    [​IMG]
    A couple more:
    [​IMG]
    His last two albums (the "deluxe" versions) came with a full disc of the demos for the songs, too, which is slightly different than the above.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  14. Vmado

Vmado Forum Resident

John Lennon - Double Fantasy (Stripped Down)

jricc, jlf, linclink and 2 others like this.
  15. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The "Immersion" box set version of Peter Gabriel's So album contains a disc of "DNA" mixes, which are basically montages for each song on the album, showing their evolution from demo form to completed track.

16. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

The Velvet Underground S/T has the normal version and the 'Closet Mix.'

rockerreds, Natural E and linclink like this.
  17. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

A prime example would be...

Ian Gillan - Clear Air Turbulence

Wikipedia quote
    "Ian Gillan became dissatisfied with the final mixes of the album and this delayed its eventual release. What eventually became the album Clear Air Turbulence was remixed at Kingsway before release, but the original mix had taken place at Rockfield Studios in Wales.[3] In 1997 the original mix was released by Angel Air Records under the title The Rockfield Mixes. The Rockfield Mixes represents a "cleaner" (or at least earlier) version of the album."

18. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

They did the same with Mirage last year too. Too anyone interested, there are vinyl versions of both Tusk and Mirage 'Alternate' mixes. Looking forward to the S/T coming out in January.

19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Something Cool by June Christy.

20. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The one I can think of is Sting's EP ...Nada como el sol. It has Spanish and Portuguese version of 5 songs off ...Nothing Like the Sun.

21. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Beck released an acoustic version of Modern Guilt, although the mp3s leave much to be desired. I’d love to see the acoustic version get a vinyl release some day.

gregorya likes this.
  22. Toronto Alex

Toronto Alex Active Member

Nirvana In Utero original and then the Steve Albini version recorded, finished and shelved before the orinal version came out.

Both released on 45 rpm vinyl a couple years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2017
    Runicen likes this.
  23. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Judee Sill Heart Food
    I think that using the alternate original version of "The Phoenix" from her Rhino Handmade debut, plus the demos on their Heart Food release actually make a much better album.

jlf and linclink like this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

OP specifically said he wasn't looking for remixes.

25. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Does this fit on this thread?

Using the Beatles Live At The BBC albums one can compile the entire Please Please Me album as BBC versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.