Studio albums that have an entire alternate version available (studio recordings, not mix/mastering)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

T.Rex A Beard of Stars came out as a UMG single CD in 2004. The whole album repeated in alt takes.

2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Beefheart and The Magic Band's Shiny Beast was largely a re-recording of the then unreleased Bat Chain Puller, with a few differences to tracks

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

The Adicts "Songs of Praise" and "Songs of Praise 25th anniversary"

5. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Cornershop revisited their first album, 'Hold On It Hurts' with an easy listening version, 'Hold On It's Easy.'

6. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

You can buy the acoustic demo versions of GbV's Earthquake Glue, Crooked Fingers' Red Devil Dawn, and Tim Easton's Not Cool on CD.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

T. Rex released those for almost every album.

Markyp and mr.datsun like this.
  8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You're right – when they re-re-mastered in 2014/15 they repeated each album sequence with out-takes on CD2, except Beard of Stars where they added a mix of home demos and outtakes on CD2 (but not using the album sequence).

John Fell likes this.
  9. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

The Gentle Storm- The Diary
    There's the gentle version and the storm version.

Runicen likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

This. A wonderful discovery at the time.

When, in 1980, Recommended released the original version of the album recorded with Faust in Wumme, it appeared that no one even knew it existed. Virgin had released the album re-recorded with session musicians in 1973, rejecting the earlier recording. I think most people agree that the original with Faust (Acnalbasac Noom) is superior, but there are those who prefer the one with session musicians.

11. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Voodoo Lounge

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

In the earlier days of CD, Columbia pulled the wrong tapes for Sly & The Family Stone's FRESH, resulting in an immediate collector's item.

Plan9 likes this.
  13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Brian Wilson - Lazy Old Sun (band demo recordings, mostly with stripped-down arrangements)

14. I'm not sure about the other songs on That Lucky Old Sun, but Midnight's Another Day used Brian's original demo vocal...

15. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

That's what I thought of when I saw the thread title. The alternate Yes Album is padded out with live tracks and single edits, but there are complete alternate versions of Close to the Edge and Relayer, comprising either different takes or early stages in the recording process that go beyond mere mixing differences.

Plan9 likes this.
  16. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

I’ve heard it now. Glad I didn’t pay to do so.

Guilty.

mr.datsun likes this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Where are the officially released alternates with Keith vocals, etc.? Or are you thinking of Voodoo Brew/Stew/Residue?

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

nosliw likes this.
  19. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Funny, I was just thinking I should do all three alternate studio albums of Jimi Hendrix using mainly alternates from the 2 boxsets. There is a thread about it right now.

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Nico's The Marble Index has the entire album sequence (excepting the Prelude) in alternative versions available on the 2007 release, 'The Frozen Borderline'.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    deredordica, DeeThomaz and Runicen like this.
  21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

the voodoo brew alternate album - before Stephen - Masher - Marcussen got his hands on it

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes, but Voodoo Brew/Stew/Residue are bootlegs. The thread is about officially released alternate versions. If it was opened up to bootlegs, just about every album could qualify.

23. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Metallica-Master Of Puppets

24. Last year's 3CD reissue of Be Here Now contained all* the main album's songs in demo form, as recorded by Noel Gallagher in Mustique a year before the full band versions were produced with the rest of Oasis.

*This only applies to early promo copies - the eventual title track was switched out of later versions with a previously unheard instrumental due to a sample that ultimately couldn't be cleared for use in time.

25. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I much prefer the latter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.