Studio Chatter

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BILLONEEG, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone else besides me like the "studio chatter" that is included before some songs? I can appreciate those who dont, but I enjoy hearing things like concersation, false starts, or even a small thing like a breath before the song starts. It's fascinating to me because those few seconds are a captured moment in time before a performance existed. Once the song is sung, it becomes part of our lives. It becmes a holder of memories & those pieces of dialogue & such are reminders that there once was a time when a song was no more than words on paper or just a thought. Fascinating!!! Thank You.---Bill

2. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Sure, I love the studio chatter! It gives you more of an insight of the mood during recording--like at the end of Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying" when they realize "that [take's] gonna be the one!" Ironically, some of the best studio chatter is edited in (like on the Let It Be album), but if it's done well, the song doesn't sound the same without it.

3. vintageonevinyl

vintageonevinyl Forum Resident

I listened to some nice studio chatter tonight: Miles Davis - DCC Relaxin'.

Not much but still fun stuff.

4. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

"I'll be back in ten minutes!" My favorite from Brian Wilson from... ****, what did it precede? "I Do" I think from the Surfer Girl/Shut Down Pt. 2 two-fer.

I love studio chatter!

JEFF!

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I also like it, as long as I can cut it out as an option on listening.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Usually no. It interrupts the flow of the album.

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Side four of Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything?

Classic studio chatter. Love it.

8. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

That's what I like about a lot of Ron Furmanek's compilations. He'll leave studio chatter here and there at the beginnings of some of the songs. Not a lot of them, just enough!

Headfone likes this.
  9. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Yeah-Miles gets a few words in on Cannonball Adderly's "Something Else" disc too.
    Peace-
    Norm

10. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

I don't mind it.

There's a nice bit of chatter at the start of True Love Ways on Steve's MCA Buddy Holly LP, it tells you a fair bit about the acoustic of the recording venue.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Pythian Temple in NYC. And that is ALL real echo; not a chamber or plate. That's the way the building sounded (and why Decca and Coral recorded songs like "Rock Around The Clock" there).

12. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Wow, absolutely amazing. I wasn't sure if it was the real thing or manufactured; sounded like the real thing to me. That chatter at the start really adds to the performance that follows; I'm glad you left it in.

13. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Right on. I thought of this when I saw the thread title. The count-in of "Hello It's Me," when the bass player keeps missing his cue, is hilarious. Good stuff.

I love studio chatter. The masterpiece of the mini-genre, of course, is The Troggs Tape.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...the Beach Boys sure did a lot of talking during their sessions, sometimes even to the beginning of the songs...Gotta love that Brian! always keeping the them all together.

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Brian Wilson - "Somebody get Mike a bag of money"....from the Our Prayer session "You guys feeling the acid yet?"

16. Vintage Season

Vintage Season Active Member

... or the Byrds' studio fight that showed up as a hidden bonus track at the end of one of their Columbia Legacy reissues. Ah, happy times. :)

- M.

17. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I think the best/most (in)famous chatter is still technically unreleased...Murray Wilson's drunken' tirade during the "Help Me R(h)onda" single sessions!

Frittenköter likes this.
  18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I've heard of an echo chamber, but what is a "plate"? :confused:

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

EMT Plate. Big, long, rectangular box with a plate in it that vibrates. Standard studio gear since the early 1950s. For those who don't want to dig an echo chamber in the basement.

20. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Gotta love "Is it rolling, Bob?" :D

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thanks, Steve. :)

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..from the SOT Christmas box...Come on Guys, see what happens when you drink beer...

23. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I like to hear the chatter. Some of Elvis Presley's studio chatter is great! It gives insights into his personality, and the mood of the individual sessions.

24. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

The Who-studio chatter on the Who's Next reissue...

Pete (before "Behind Blue Eyes") : "Roger is admiring his a** in the mirror as we start"

Keith (before "Baby Don't You Do It"): "Put away those girly magazines!"

25. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

"Adam Faith, you fool"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.