Studio Chatter

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BILLONEEG, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gappleton

Gappleton Forum Resident

I like the voice at the start of Sting's Shadows In The Rain. I think it is Daryl Jones the basist shouting: -

"What key is it in? Wait, wait! What key is it in? Aw... *****"

There is a great bit at the start of The Four Tops "Can't Get Next To You"

And at the end of a version of Coasters' Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart I have someone shouts out something like "Thats the one Jerry!"

Regards,
    Gordon

2. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Surely you're referring to Sonny Boy Williamson and Leonard Chess, during the recording of the track "Little Village" that was released on Bummer Road? Full text of the exchange available here. I've got what sounds like an out-take from that session, recording a track called "Ninety-Nine" that's even more obscene! I guess old Sonny Boy got pretty cranky in a studio environment!!

3. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Actually, on the self-titled album Little Village by the John Hiatt/Ry Cooder/Nick Lowe/Jim Keltner group, there's a track called "Don't Bug Me When I'm Working" that feature's some of Sonny Boy's voice dubbed in the background!

4. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

:laugh: :laugh:

5. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

This rings a bell!!! Is it from the session tape of the Fourmost? Billy J Kramer?? recording an early Lennon/McCartney song in the merseybeat heyday, when Lennon and Macca were present..? I've heard it on a bootleg somewhere, but I can't remember the full story... it's going to drive me mad now - HELP!

EDIT: I think it's Lennon who shouts out the phrase...

6. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Has this been released? If so, what disc is it on? I'd love to hear it!

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for identifying that for me! I never realized where that voice originated (I thought it was Ry), but now I see the Little Village connection!

8. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

You're welcome!

9. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

The song is "Everything's Gonna Be Alright (alternate take)". It's on the 1995 Chess comp "Blues With a Feeling" 2-CD set.

10. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

This is a first... I'm 'quoting' myself. And it sounds all sort of echoey and repeating in on itself ad infinitum, like one of thsoe pictures of someone holding up a picture of themselves holding up the same picture of them holding up the same picture of themselves holding up a picture... er... I've gone dizzy, I need to have a lie down...
    But before I do, I've found a bit more info about the studio chat. It's from a Billy J Kramer session where he's trying to record I'm In Love (a big hit for the Fourmost), and apparently he never managed to record a full version of the song. And it didn't appear til the early 90s on a US compilation CD where Ron Furmanek edited two partial takes to make a full version. (See here - a nice interview with Mr Kramer himself. It's near the end of the article:
    http://www.chorusandverse.com/content/200401/20040120_BillyJKramer.htm )
    But if anyone's heard this, does it have the studio chat intro on it, as many archival releases these days do, or is it still only available on bootlegs? Over to you perhaps mr oxenholme...?

11. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

"This is the master, alright?" in Kinks' Davis Watts.

Ray answers something else (pun intended) that I don't get.

12. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

John, the Billy J Kramer studio chatter is on The "Billy J Kramer -Legendary Masters" Cd
    and its AWESOME. Another Ron Furmanek triumph!!

Not only is the sound quality unbelievable, but Ron found the actual Abbey Road two track session tapes for most of the cuts, and theres a bunch of first time stereo on it..."Bad To Me" is in stereo for the very first time anywhere and sounds fantastic. Ron knew not to mix the stereo TOO wide so that it sounds weird, instead its just close enough to provide a nice stereo sound stage.

The studio chatter is john Lennon himself, who came to the sessions for "I Call Your Name" and "Im in Love" , since he wrote both of them, along with Paul.
    John is HYSTERICAL as he's hurling insults at Billy J, you can see they were very good friends, and its really the highlight of the Cd. Even George Martin gets in on the fun, EMI stalwart that he was.
    Ron had to edit two incomplete takes to get one good version, but its perfect.
    This one of my VERY favorite Cds, I mean, its REALLY great. Ron did a super job on this.

Another note...if you like Studio chatter, Ron uses a lot of it on almost every Capitol Collectors Series and Legendary Masters Cd. Its really the only place to find studio chatter. For ME, its a peak into the 1960s and its very thrilling.

Youve gotta hear The Lettermens producer telling them what to sing and trying to sing himself, with Tony Butala just going "Uhh..yea"...

Little stuff like this really make these Cds enjoyable. My hats off to Ron for doing these this way....so much fun, and the sound quality and first time stereo rocks!!!

Just my two cents.

13. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

mikey, thanks for all that info, that's just what I wanted to find out about. I can go to sleep now! And I feel a CD hunt coming on... :righton:

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Youre welcome John....my advice:

get as many as you can while they are still around. Believe me, they are worth it.

I just ordered a bunch from the BMG record club. So , I'll have doubles......:)

15. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I need a little help (the BMG search engine can be difficult).
    Which of the Legendary Masters & Capitol Collectors Series are still available from BMG?
    I did find a listing under "Capitol Collector's Series", but I've found these lists can be incomplete. As far as "Legendary Masters" goes - it's really hit or miss - and their disappearing fast...Thanks! (I just love that studio chatter - like, "Linda" - a real "You are there!" treat.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...I found the follwing at BMG...

Louis Prima
    Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Dean Martin
    The Lettermen
    The Kingston Trio
    The Raspberries
    The Four Freshmen
    Sonny James
    Hank Thompson

17. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Brian quotes "How to Speak Hip" during the "Hang On To Your Ego" sessions:

"Just hang tight and me and this other cat are going to straighten you out.... and then we'll get, you know, world peace." :righton:

18. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

For your enjoyment I've uploaded two lo-fi snippets, each about a minute long, of Sonny Boy and Leonard's studio chatter. Little Village, from the album Bummer Road, was recorded in September 1957. The version released on the 1997 Chess remastered CD clocks in at over 12 minutes! I'm not sure when Ninety Nine was recorded but this snippet was released on a Dutch 4-CD set entitled Blues History on K-West/Desky in 1989. Enjoy!

Almost forgot: has anyone out there actually heard the infamous Troggs Tapes, said to be the most hilarious studio chatter of all?

19. stereoptic

thanks, but the links aren't working....
    :(

20. stereoptic

Besides Daydream Believer there are a few other Monkees tracks with studio chatter intro, but I can't recall which ones. reechie????? where are you??????

21. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Try 'em now, I've tweaked things.

22. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

"Is it rolling Bob?"

23. stereoptic

good tweakin' - pretty interesting stuff.

24. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

He instructs the band: "Nice and smooth."

25. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

One my favorite "chatter" albums is Paul McCartney's MTV unplugged/official bootleg CD released in the early 1990s. Sure, it was a live performance, but his mistake/flub on "We Can Work it out" is very unexpected and endearing. One of my favorite albums.

BTW, I wonder if studio chatter exists on Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company." That would be...smooth. I would give my left --- to hear the chatter on that one.

The more I think about it, since studios release multiple formats of the same album (cd, sacd, dual disc, dvd-a), how about releasing chatter and chatterless albums? Would it be more expensive? Proabably. But maybe not as expensive as recalling The Donna's Dual Disc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.