Studio monitor died. Need something new.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by teebo911, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teebo911

teebo911 The Professor Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

One of my Adams A7X died today. Looking to replace both with pair that is maybe a bit lighter and cheaper (got engaged, so I've got other things to save for now).

Looking to keep the price for a pair under 700 +/- (yes, I know that this is like half the cost of what I'm playing with now).

My "mixing" is just my own home-recorded music. Nothing critical. 95% of the time they are used for listening to music.

Music hits a KRK 10" sub first.

Any suggestions? Would like to hit Guitar Center today as I'm going insane with this one-speaker thing...

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Focal CMS50 might be in your price range. Very well done actives from Focal. I personally like them a bit better than the Adam series of the same general size and power. A friend disagrees, preferring the Adam and the Neumann over the Focal. Another friend absolutely prefers the Focal CMS series over everything on the market right now, including Adam, JBL, Yamaha, ATC, Amphion, KRK, Neumann, etc., etc. Anyway, I suggest auditioning the Focal.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

5. teebo911

In the end, it turned out the monitor was just fine. I found this out when the new monitor didn't work either :\

Checked the cables. All seemed to be fine.

The culprit: my subwoofer has developed electrical problems and so no signal was passing to my left monitor. Grumble.

In the end, I looked for something that allowed me to do away with having a sub. Found a pair of KRK 10-3's and I'm giving them a try. So weird listening on different speakers. Some things sound better, some worse... but all "different".

timind likes this.
  6. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

Why don't you want to buy a new sub or repair your current sub? Those are the simplest solutions.

7. teebo911

I'll be moving in the next year and the sub and riser takes up extra floor space (that I might not have). So I've opted to get what I can in the pair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.