Studio Recording Techniques Through the Years - Photos Please!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Please post some photos and commments on recording techniques in the studio through the years.

Here's two photos of Django & group in Studio.

1st one is the group around one mic 1938 Decca studio in London. Second 'room' mic, if it's being used.

Second photo, 1946, has a seperate mic on Django. Abbey Road studio I believe.

Attached Files:

JazzFanatic and Beech like this.
  2. Tone

An early Acoustic recording for Gennett records.

Early recordings were made entirely acoustically, the sound being collected by a horn and piped to a diaphragm which vibrated the cutting stylus. Sensitivity and frequency range were poor, and frequency response was very irregular, giving cylinder recordings an instantly recognizable tonal quality. A singer practically had to put his face in the recording horn. Cellos and double basses were completely unrecordable. Violins were barely recordable but instruments were modified with a horn built into the sound box to direct the sound into the recorder's horn.

When a jazz group recorded, drums were completely eliminated because their "boom" would dislodge the cutting stylus from the groove. The loudest instruments stood the farthest away from the collecting horn. Lillian Hardin Armstrong, a member of King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band that recorded at Gennett Records in 1923, remembered that at first Oliver and his young second trumpet, Louis Armstrong, stood next to each other and Oliver's horn couldn't be heard. "They put Louis about fifteen feet over in the corner, looking all sad." (See a photograph of Gennett's recording studio here.)

Attached Files:

3. Tone

Classic "Wrecking Crew" photo from the mid 60s shows some of the miking techniques of the day. Still just 2 mics on the drums (overhead and kick mic probably. can't see it here).

Wish they still did 'em this way.

Attached Files:

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This could be the best thread ever. All my shots are on another computer, can't get to 'em, sorry to say.

Post many pictures! Rolling Stones at RCA, Beatles, jazz, classical, Elvis, etc.

Post pics!

5. Tone

If you find those Steve, do post!

Here's from the Classic Sinatra Captiol Sessions (which one?) ...... Lord, thos mics. :love:

"We don't need no stinkin' isolation!"

Attached Files:

Andy Saunders and Jet Age Eric like this.
  6. crazydiamond13

crazydiamond13 New Member

jim66ge.jpg

Morrison Hotel sessions

Andy Saunders likes this.
  7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Something purely kiwi:
    [​IMG]
    Pictured above: Sandy Edmonds and a recording engineer

This shows how primitive NZ recording studios were. Yes, it is the same "Come See Me" song as the one done by The Pretty Things.
    If you listen to the recording (its on utube) it shows that the above picture are very acurate. The sound quality is as bad as you would expect.

8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Byrds, Stones in Chess studio, Early Beatles.

Attached Files:

9. Glenn Christense

The Big E and Nat.

Attached Files:

Kkfan likes this.
  10. Glenn Christense

Jimi at the Record Plant, Dean and the Rat Pack.

Attached Files:

11. Tone

Awesome Glenn.... thanks!

Again, 2 mics on the drums on most of those. (if that) Most drum recordings today use 8-10, which is more than the total mics in used these classic Singer/Orchestra sessions.

12. Tone

Here's a great shot of Brian & "Keef" at RCA in early 1966....... Wonder what song they're working?

Attached Files:

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Pardon my ignorance, but which one is Django, the one on the left or the right of the bass player?

Attached Files:

14. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

15. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

The one to the left as you look at the picture (ie the one without all the fingers on his left hand).

Nick Brook likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

You are welcome Anthony. How far do you want to go back ? Here's a typical acoustic orchestra recording session by Victor, using recording horns. Is that too far back ?:D (Ah, I just saw that Spyder already posted the old picture). Also, here's Phil with Sonny Bono at Gold Star,the Stones at Olympic, Jimmy Page in Olympic in 69 recording Led Zeppelin 2, and Frank Sinatra .

Attached Files:

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I believe the Elvis session photos are from 4/14/56.He is recording
    "I Want You,I Need You,I Love You" at the old RCA studios on McGavock St.
    Looks like Chet Atkins is playing Elvis' Martin in its leather cover in the top left photo.The building was torn down in 2006;I was unaware of its location
    until after it was gone.(Info from the Scotty Moore website.)

18. Glenn Christense

Good info thanks.

By the way, here's a link to a site with a nice, brief history of recording, and there are sound samples. I found it interesting. Check it out.

http://www.charm.rhul.ac.uk/history/p20_4_1.html

19. Glenn Christense

Three more pictures for the night.

Attached Files:

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i use the Decca discography at the CHARM site all the time-i've gotten quite
    obsessive about it.great to play an old classical cassette tape & be able to
    get session details!

markedasred likes this.
  21. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

A couple of Bob ones I like - not the usual '65 ones, but from Self Portrait/New Morning period,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's from the cover of the 1961 LP, SINATRA'S SWINGIN' SESSION!!!, but it's a staged shot. Sinatra didn't stand right there while recording. For an extended discussion of this photo, see starting here:

[post=5825456]Sinatra / Capitol Sound & Photo Quality: "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" - 1961 (post #43 and beyond)[/post]

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

March 7, 1955, at Capitol's Melrose Avenue studios in Hollywood (the former KHJ Radio studio). This pre-dates the Capitol Tower.

The vocal group is The Nuggets. They're recording the single sides "Two Hearts, Two Kisses (Make One Love)" and "From the Bottom to the Top," produced by Dave Cavanaugh (aka "Big Dave's Music").

bozburn and Kkfan like this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

BTW, I forgot to answer the question (which session?). That's August 23, 1960, at the Capitol Tower. The sheet music Frank is holding is for "I Can't Believe That You're in Love with Me." See also: Matt Lutthans' web page about this photo.

25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Anyone have any shots taken at the 1950s Contemporary Records studio (aka the Contemporary Records warehouse)? I've seen some session photos on the back covers of LPs, and you can see cartons of LPs stacked up in the background. Those recordings sound so good too!

I'd love to see a photo of an early Atlantic Records session, back when they were recording after hours in the company's office. They used to move the desks and chairs out of the way and set up the mics right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.